Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>People ARE Crazy!!!
sassysue 06:14 AM 06-15-2011
I've read all the stories on here about early drop offs and always laughed. Not that early drop offs are funny,just everyone's response cracked me up. I've never experienced this problem since I've opened my daycare in 2006 but let me tell you..I experienced it today!
My daycare "hours" are 7a.m.-5:30 p.m. I have one family who pays me full time for two kids,yet only brings their boys 3 days a week. They pay extra for me to open at 6a.m. also. So anyway, on the days they are not here I open at 8a.m. This morning @ 7a.m. I get woke up by a phone call."Can we drop dcg off early today?" Me-Uh,Um What time? "Well we're sitting in your driveway with dcg,she's still asleep(ya think) so NOW?
I was really in a deep sleep, my response was"Are you for real? Your drop off time is 9:30a.m.,what in the world would make you think a 7a.m. drop off would be ok?"
It's 9:18a.m. right now.I wonder what she's going to say when she gets here.I think she really embarrassed,and she should be.CRAZY!!!!
momofboys 06:17 AM 06-15-2011
Originally Posted by sassysue:
I've read all the stories on here about early drop offs and always laughed. Not that early drop offs are funny,just everyone's response cracked me up. I've never experienced this problem since I've opened my daycare in 2006 but let me tell you..I experienced it today!
My daycare "hours" are 7a.m.-5:30 p.m. I have one family who pays me full time for two kids,yet only brings their boys 3 days a week. They pay extra for me to open at 6a.m. also. So anyway, on the days they are not here I open at 8a.m. This morning @ 7a.m. I get woke up by a phone call."Can we drop dcg off early today?" Me-Uh,Um What time? "Well we're sitting in your driveway with dcg,she's still asleep(ya think) so NOW?
I was really in a deep sleep, my response was"Are you for real? Your drop off time is 9:30a.m.,what in the world would make you think a 7a.m. drop off would be ok?"
It's 9:18a.m. right now.I wonder what she's going to say when she gets here.I think she really embarrassed,and she should be.CRAZY!!!!
LOL at your response! I LOVE it!!!! Let us know how the parents acts at drop-off. I hjave had a parent come early, literally one minute after I got out of the shower. I really let them have it so to speak. . . obviously I didn't answer the door for a while b/c I was still drying off/dressing from my shower. I did let them in but I made sure to tell mom that if she planned on being early I needed advance warning as I don't open until opening time.
MarinaVanessa 06:31 AM 06-15-2011
Too, too funny. What are YOU going to say to her? lol. Are you going to say anything ir are you just going to let things pan out? I mean, even if you were in the right the delivery was a little harsh. Thanks for the AM laugh though. I just keep chuckling and shaking my head.
wdmmom 06:36 AM 06-15-2011
/shakes head

People are crazy! Just because we are home and work from home doesn't mean we want to watch your kids any longer than we're suppose to.

Good for you for sticking to your guns!
MG&Lsmom 06:51 AM 06-15-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
People are crazy! Just because we are home and work from home doesn't mean we want to watch your kids any longer than we're suppose to.
This is striking a cord big time with me. One DCM who works retail, contracted for working hours + 1 hr commute (necessary for the distance & traffic), will routinely drop off 30-45 mins early because she got tired of waiting for drop off time. Sometimes she doesn't get scheduled until 11am, so she's "waiting at home". Since she gets a significant discount this is seriously rubbing me the wrong way. "Well since you're home I figured I wouldn't wait any longer and just have some time to myself". I've started running errands on these days and not being home until 15-20 mins before her arrival time
Zoe 07:16 AM 06-15-2011
Originally Posted by MG&Lsmom:
This is striking a cord big time with me. One DCM who works retail, contracted for working hours + 1 hr commute (necessary for the distance & traffic), will routinely drop off 30-45 mins early because she got tired of waiting for drop off time. Sometimes she doesn't get scheduled until 11am, so she's "waiting at home". Since she gets a significant discount this is seriously rubbing me the wrong way. "Well since you're home I figured I wouldn't wait any longer and just have some time to myself". I've started running errands on these days and not being home until 15-20 mins before her arrival time
That's a great idea. Sends a message that you have a life! LOL! I had a parent come unannounced VERY early. I was literally heading out the door to do an errand when she was on the other side of it about to knock! I think she was embarrassed after seeing my purse and my keys in my hand. I didn't have to say anything, she never did that again.
sassysue 07:31 AM 06-15-2011
She never showed up! I called her @ 10a.m. -No answer
I really think she is just too embarrassed to drop off.
She has been really testing my rules lately.I've had her girl in care for over three years now,without a single problem. Now she tries to switch her days around without notice,tries to drop off early. Here's the funniest thing about this family-the dad comes for pick up @ 3:30p.m. and sleeps in my driveway for a half hour to an hour.Who does that? Other parents pick up and they were like" Um,do you know that dcg's dad is asleep in your driveway.This has been going on for a couple months.I still haven't figured out what to say to him. When we go outside after snack,I just bring her stuff outside and send her to the car.So wierd!

Zoe 07:54 AM 06-15-2011
That's weird. What the heck?!? Once you see dcd out there, can't you bring the girls to the car? That's pretty unacceptable that he would have the nerve to sleep in your driveway! You'd think if he's that hard up for a nap, he'd do it where he won't be caught! Wow.
littlemissmuffet 08:39 AM 06-15-2011
She never showed up! I called her @ 10a.m. -No answer
I really think she is just too embarrassed to drop off.
She has been really testing my rules lately.I've had her girl in care for over three years now,without a single problem. Now she tries to switch her days around without notice,tries to drop off early. Here's the funniest thing about this family-the dad comes for pick up @ 3:30p.m. and sleeps in my driveway for a half hour to an hour.Who does that? Other parents pick up and they were like" Um,do you know that dcg's dad is asleep in your driveway.This has been going on for a couple months.I still haven't figured out what to say to him. When we go outside after snack,I just bring her stuff outside and send her to the car.So wierd!
Umm, that's not cool. I would not allow anybody to sleep in their car in my driveway... it's just bad for business. I would start bringing the child to the car right when he arrives. These parents think "oh, you're home anyways, I'll drop off early/pick up late" - so if he's sitting in his car having a nap, he obviously has nothing better to do - make him spend this time with HIS CHILD!!!

About being embarassed... do be so quick to assume this, she might actually be really mad at you because of how you told her to buzz off. LOL.
countrymom 09:21 AM 06-15-2011
you used such nice words, I would have used some not nice words that early. Mom probably feels like a knob for doing it. Sometimes they need a reality check. Ask dad why is he sleeping in your driveway, that is weird.
Kaddidle Care 10:55 AM 06-15-2011
Sleeping Dad may have a medical condition. Tread lightly. He may need that nap before pick up.
dEHmom 10:58 AM 06-15-2011
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
Sleeping Dad may have a medical condition. Tread lightly. He may need that nap before pick up.
I might be wrong on this, but if that is the case, maybe dcd shouldn't be driving, or should find somewhere else to sleep.

Also, I may also be wrong on this, but should it be a medical condition, should the childcare provider not be informed of such?
littlemissmuffet 11:16 AM 06-15-2011
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't think of that. However, I still don't think he should be napping in the OP's driveway and he needs to find another place to catch his Zzzs!

To dEHmom, I don't think we need to know about parent's medical conditions unless it somehow affects us and how we care for their kids. I know of a few medical conditions my parent's have... but I am sure there are more I don't know about, and don't NEED to know about.
grandmom 02:11 PM 06-15-2011
I used to have a dad that stopped a block from my house, drink a beer or two, and read the paper and then show up exactly at closing time.

ugh
sassysue 02:53 PM 06-15-2011
Originally Posted by Zoe:
That's weird. What the heck?!? Once you see dcd out there, can't you bring the girls to the car? That's pretty unacceptable that he would have the nerve to sleep in your driveway! You'd think if he's that hard up for a nap, he'd do it where he won't be caught! Wow.
The daycare is located in the walk out basement of my home so I can't really see or here him.I don't know he's out there until we go outside to play,then i just send her to the car.
I think the dad may be on some medication for depression but I think it could have to do with the fact that he's 63 years old with a 3 year old.Yikes!
Plus he leaves for work at 4a.m. I don't even mind if he goes home,takes a nap for awhile. That way she can get up from nap time,get cleaned up,hair brushed,have a snack and play outside for a bit before he arrives,just not in my driveway.
PeanutsGalore 04:12 PM 06-15-2011
The daycare is located in the walk out basement of my home so I can't really see or here him.I don't know he's out there until we go outside to play,then i just send her to the car.
I think the dad may be on some medication for depression but I think it could have to do with the fact that he's 63 years old with a 3 year old.Yikes!
Plus he leaves for work at 4a.m
. I don't even mind if he goes home,takes a nap for awhile. That way she can get up from nap time,get cleaned up,hair brushed,have a snack and play outside for a bit before he arrives,just not in my driveway.
I'd be falling to sleep in my car in random places too!
Kaddidle Care 05:05 PM 06-15-2011
Agreed! Those are 2 pretty good reasons for a nap!
Zoe 05:15 PM 06-15-2011
Ok, yeah. I'd be asleep too. But not in other people's driveways! Sigh.
Auntie 05:25 PM 06-15-2011
Wow what an interesting family you care for.
sassysue 01:36 PM 06-16-2011
They came in today and she was like " I have a story for you" I said"Does it involve why you showed up in my driveway like a crazy lady at 7a.m.(with a smile on myface)" She laughed and apologized. She said they had a lot of relatives staying at their house this week and they were driving all of them nuts so they had to get out of the house.She said "I was hoping you had the boys early today so we could drop dcg off and her older girls and her were going to the pool for a couple hours before everyone woke up at her house. Then going to work out.I laughed and said "Next time at least call BEFORE you decide to come over,you might get lucky and I'll already be open. I can guarantee I will Never open my door for you if your're calling from your car.OMG!! They are too funny! I didn't say anything about dad sleeping in the driveway because I was already trying not to laugh about my response about her early drop off.Oh the drama... I have almost all girls in my daycare and I am close to a lot of their moms so we do have a lot of fun,and like to joke
with one another
Tags:early arrival, funny
Reply Up