Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is it really that hard?
small_steps 07:16 AM 11-30-2011
I have one mom who writes me a check for a portion of her weekly tuition. Usually the check is for $15 and then she gives me the rest cash. I've had them since August and she has been writing a weekly check since then. Almost every single check she makes a mistake. Usually she spells fifteen wrong and has to scratch it out and initial that she was the one that made the mistake. Wells he paid me Monday a $15 check and I was just about to cash it when I noticed that not only did she spell fifteen wrong again (fefteen), she also signed in the memo line of the check instead of the actual signature line. So I guess I won't be able to cash this and will have to get her to write another one. This is so frustrating, especially when it's something with almost every single check. It's also kind of ironic considering that she is a teacher and makes these kind of mistakes continuously.
Nellie 08:34 AM 11-30-2011
I wouldn't get all worried about misspellings. As long as the number in the numeric portion is correct I wouldn't get to worked up about it. I know some one who is close to me and this person can't spell. She tries her hardest, but some of the mistakes she makes are just stupid and the same goes for her check writing. I've never had a problem cashing her checks. When she comes just quick have her sign on the signature line.
MarinaVanessa 09:31 AM 11-30-2011
I had the same problem here before and I swear wanted to strangle the woman. I finally just had to tell her to bring a blank check, I filled the check out, she checked the amount and then signed it. SHe did the same thing that your DCM did ALL of the time and constantly signed in the memo line. I always wrote in the memo line to keep her from accidentally signng there in stead of the signature line after I had already filled the whole thing out . I think after a few times she was embarrassed it and finally brought me correctly filled out checks. I didn't have a problem with it after that.
greenhouse 09:55 AM 11-30-2011
My bank refused a check because dcm didn't draw the line after the written dollar amount. I was like "can you ask your manager, really???" having to go to the bank is such a pain on the weekend along with 4000 other errands. Does anyone use pay pal? I was thinking that might be easier for all parties.
small_steps 10:35 AM 11-30-2011
Originally Posted by greenhouse:
My bank refused a check because dcm didn't draw the line after the written dollar amount. I was like "can you ask your manager, really???" having to go to the bank is such a pain on the weekend along with 4000 other errands. Does anyone use pay pal? I was thinking that might be easier for all parties.
I've considered using something like paypal or maybe paypal. But it takes a few days to be deposited right? Sometimes I really can't wait that long. Minute menu Kids offers something where parents can pay electronicallybut it either charges you extra or you can give the extra fee to the parents. I haven't attempted this yet.
greenhouse 11:36 AM 11-30-2011
Yeah, it takes a few days to get the $ out of pay pal...but no more forgetting the check book and no more wasting gas to drive to the bank. My time is priceless these days.
MarinaVanessa 11:38 AM 11-30-2011
Originally Posted by greenhouse:
I take your money any way you want to give it to me and includes cash, check, money orders, credit/debit cards and electronic payments.

I have my account through Chase and do mobile banking. I have a smart-phone (iPhone) so I don't have to go to the bank to deposit my checks. I use the photo capture feature and deposit them that way.

If you use MMK Pro you can accept electronic checks for $1 a check that you can either have the parent's pay or pay yourself (tax deductible).

Chase also has a person-to-person quick pay option so if a client also has an account at Chase the client can send you a payment that way and it's free. You can see if other banks do this also.

If you have a smartphone like an Android or an iPhone you can also get a free card reader and charge clients on your phone. It's lower than what PayPal charges with no monthly fees.
MyAngels 01:26 PM 11-30-2011
Originally Posted by small_steps:
I've considered using something like paypal or maybe paypal. But it takes a few days to be deposited right? Sometimes I really can't wait that long. Minute menu Kids offers something where parents can pay electronicallybut it either charges you extra or you can give the extra fee to the parents. I haven't attempted this yet.
PayPal used to have a debit card that you could use to access the funds directly, rather than transfering money to your bank account. I don't know if they still offer it and I haven't used mine in so long it expired.
MARSTELAC 07:29 PM 11-30-2011
MarinaVanessa: how do I know if my phone will use a card reader and can you tell me where to get one? Is it something that attaches and you swipe a card or check? I'm sorry I am not very savvy in the electronic gadget area...
thanks,
Mrs. M
MarinaVanessa 04:31 PM 12-01-2011
Originally Posted by MARSTELAC:
MarinaVanessa: how do I know if my phone will use a card reader and can you tell me where to get one? Is it something that attaches and you swipe a card or check? I'm sorry I am not very savvy in the electronic gadget area...
thanks,
Mrs. M
I think that the card reader is only compatible with the Android and the iPhone. You go to their website https://squareup.com/ and sign up and they give you a free card reader. The card reader plugs into your headphone jack. You also download their free app. Then you sign up your bank account info on their website and you're done. They charge you a percentage every time you swipe a card (more if you have to punch it in) and you're done. I hope you have one of these phones.
Reply Up