Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
View Poll Results: How do you handle child sick days?
Charge full price for sick days 3 75.00%
Charge half price for sick days 0 0%
No charge for sick days 0 0%
Other 1 25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Updating 2013 Handbook w/ Sick Day Policy
thatdivalady 02:56 PM 12-01-2012
So after perusing some of the posts, I have been thinking about a couple of things:

1. I have already updated how many holidays we are taking (17) which include weekend holidays because we are open 24/7.

2. I am adding in a suggested sick day policy requiring children who are sent home from childcare due to illness are subjected to a mandatory 48 hours of staying home and those children who are kept home are only subjected to the 24 hours.

3. Have considered giving parents who have been with us 6 months minimum 5 days of a 50% discount for sick days. But am wondering about the positives and negatives to this approach.

4. Have also considered having parents pay 50% of my 1 week vacation. Ironically, this, in conjunction with #3 would really just result in no real change at all from the current policy we have currently. It seems like they would really be paying the same amount but this might get them to keep their sick children home for 5 days per year.

Also pertinent is that we charge significantly higher than other in-home daycares ($155 and up per week depending on shift in comparison to $100-$140 approximately). What are some experiences you have had with sick day policies?
Reply Up