Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Cringe Every Time I See This FB Page
Malmom 09:50 AM 03-25-2013
This is a girl in the next town over. Every time I see her post on local community pages, linking her FB page to advertise, I just cringe. It's awful- full of grammatical, punctuation and spelling errors. Can I post her link here? I want to message her anonymously and tell her to make her page professional. Even if I wasn't in the child care business, I still wouldn't be interested in sending my child there because it looks like she needs someone to teach her too! It's the first impression that she is giving people of her and her business, and its just not a good one. Plus she just looks like she's trying too hard to look like a good provider, if that makes sense. Posting tons of pictures every day showing what you are doing doesn't make you a good provider.

I know, I'm being petty. But it bugs me every time I see her advertising. I can't help but feel if she would make her FB page more professional, she wouldn't have to advertise every single day. Would you say anything to her?
Reply
littlemissmuffet 10:02 AM 03-25-2013
I post pics on my business FB page regularily - not because I'm "trying too hard" but because the parents like it. Yes, it is advertising for me in a way, but that's just a bonus.

I don't mind seeing atrociously unprofessional adverts/web pages for other daycares because it just proves I have very little true competition in my area Don't let it bother you.

Also, bad spelling/grammer doesn't mean she's a bad provider either!
Reply
crazydaycarelady 10:38 AM 03-25-2013
I think there are times when grammar does not matter but there are times when it DOES matter, like in business and printed material. Particularly these days when it so easy to correct.

I'll never forget when my niece sent out her wedding invitations and there were a couple of grammatical errors. Her dad is an English Language teacher. I am sure he wished she'd used spell check!
Reply
lolaland 11:15 AM 03-25-2013
Here's a very different perspective...

I think that for MANY reasons it’s important to find ways to show families what you’ve been doing with the kids (fb is a good option if families approve it):
- It’s with us that these children spend most of their days
- Our work is almost invisible when kids are so young and unable to give detailed information to the question “how was your day little Lucy?”
- It is very difficult to have a proper conversation with parents at drop-off/pick-up time
- The art projects or blobs of paint in a paper sent home, have no meaning to parents even so you put so much thought and love making it a very important part of a specific theme…

I also don’t see what’s the problem of trying hard to prove you are a good provider? When so many people have the misconception that home daycare providers are babysitters just in this for the easy money, I think it is a necessity to prove yourself if you want to set yourself apart from that general bad impression.

By the way …I did spell checked this answer of mine but there must be still many spelling errors in it! You see, I have been living in USA’s “melting pot” only for 8 years and spelling checks don’t correct all my errors.
Reply
Willow 11:48 AM 03-25-2013
Please don't post a link and please don't contact her to criticize.

If you don't like it, simply don't look. I think your judgments upon a fellow colleague aren't very nice and it's no one's job to be the spelling and grammar police unless they're specifically being asked for proof reading input.

Frankly, I'd rather a daycare provider be wonderfully creative, loving and unable to spell for beans rather a boring, crabby and crotchety English major who also designs perfect webpages in her spare time
Reply
EntropyControlSpecialist 11:56 AM 03-25-2013
If you don't like seeing it, why not go to her page and block her? You don't have to be her Facebook friend to block her. Then you will never have to see her on there again!
Reply
just_peachy 12:17 PM 03-25-2013
Spelling and grammatical errors drive me BATTY!!!! It'd make me cringe to see that page time and time again too. I used to judge people by their use of the written language. Then I met my insanely smart and awesome husband 10 years ago, we got married, had 3 babies, and started texting.

I didn't know until we began texting regularly that his spelling and grammar is ATROCIOUS. Almost embarrassingly so. I joke that I never would have married him had texting been commonplace back then. I no longer judge based on those things.

That being said, I'm constantly sending private messages to my blogging friends about spelling or grammar errors. They always thank me! I bet a friendly note to this provider would be appreciated.
Reply
renodeb 12:29 PM 03-25-2013
Would you post it please? I would love to see! Do you know her? I have a very good friend who is also a provider. She asked me to look at her cl add. I finally did and was afraid to tell her what I thought. When I finally did she was so nice about. If you bothered by it others will be to. Maybe drop her and email and see what happens!
Debbie
Reply
mamac 12:51 PM 03-25-2013
There is a local provider that lists her ad on craigslist and every time I see it I wonder to myself who would actually send their child to someone who can't even spell her BUSINESS NAME correctly! I'd also love to send her an e-mail asking her what she was thinking. Also, if an ad is rife with spelling errors I would definitely be looking elsewhere to send my child. One of my biggest pet peeves is people who don't know how to spell. Drives me nuts....

Btw... the name of her daycare is "Shinning Stars".
Reply
MissAnn 05:25 PM 03-25-2013
Originally Posted by Malmom:
This is a girl in the next town over. Every time I see her post on local community pages, linking her FB page to advertise, I just cringe. It's awful- full of grammatical, punctuation and spelling errors. Can I post her link here? I want to message her anonymously and tell her to make her page professional. Even if I wasn't in the child care business, I still wouldn't be interested in sending my child there because it looks like she needs someone to teach her too! It's the first impression that she is giving people of her and her business, and its just not a good one. Plus she just looks like she's trying too hard to look like a good provider, if that makes sense. Posting tons of pictures every day showing what you are doing doesn't make you a good provider.

I know, I'm being petty. But it bugs me every time I see her advertising. I can't help but feel if she would make her FB page more professional, she wouldn't have to advertise every single day. Would you say anything to her?
Shew! The first thing I did was to look at what state you are in. Good thing, it isn't me! I don't living in Kentucky.
Reply
snips&snails 11:01 PM 03-25-2013
Originally Posted by :
Btw... the name of her daycare is "Shinning Stars".
Not sure whether to laugh or cringe!!!! Didn't she have anyone who could tell her???
Reply
melskids 04:03 AM 03-26-2013
My 16 year old son has a learning disability that even spell check can't help.

That doesn't make him any less good at the things he DOES do well.

Just sayin'.
Reply
Unregistered 04:53 AM 03-26-2013
I agree with the OP. We have a provider in our town who cannot even spell the name of our city correctly on her Craigslist ad. Drives me batty, too.

The provider might be loving and kind, but you also have to wonder how she/he can teach kids how to read or spell if she/he cannot themselves. I would wonder how they speak. I don't always spell correctly, but at least I try to present my ads in a professional way.

We have a local gal who's daycare is supposed to have 'Angels' in the name and instead it is 'Angles' . 'Little Angles'!!!!
Reply
Starburst 01:07 PM 03-29-2013
Originally Posted by mamac:
There is a local provider that lists her ad on craigslist and every time I see it I wonder to myself who would actually send their child to someone who can't even spell her BUSINESS NAME correctly! I'd also love to send her an e-mail asking her what she was thinking. Also, if an ad is rife with spelling errors I would definitely be looking elsewhere to send my child. One of my biggest pet peeves is people who don't know how to spell. Drives me nuts....

Btw... the name of her daycare is "Shinning Stars".
Lol well that is one potental daycare name I will not be using then- I plan on having the word 'Star' in my daycare name too.

Anyway spelling errors in advertisements do bug me a bit because if you are trying to come off as professional you always want your final drafts to be proof-read. Just like with any business that sells good or services you want the final product to be the best it can be. And if I were a parent I would want the provider to be able to speak properly so that my child doesn't pick up unusual vernacular or bad grammer habits, espesually if they are going to be my child's main caregiver for 8+ hours a day. Since it is someone in your area that provides a similar service to you, I think I kinda understand the frustration because not only is that the image she is portraying of her own business but also the image she may be portraying of other providers in her area as well- it can come off to some as they don't need to be well educated for this career which could lead people into comparing it to "babysitting". But then again for all you know English may not be her first language- most languages have different speaking patterns than English; or she may speak really well but has problems getting what she wants to say into print- some people are very verbal but don't do well with computers or with writing/typing. And as another person said just because she doesn't have the best language doesn't mean that she isn't a good child care provider. Maybe she posts those pictures because she likes photography too. Though if her pictures includes the faces of the kids (not sure if they do or not but if they did) and if I were a parent and there was new pictures of my kid on FB every day on an a public page I would get annoyed, even if I signed a paper that my kids could be used in advertisements- it's called confidentiallity, if it was a secure page only for DC parents that is different.

If I were you, I would just ignore it and not do anything unless she asked you for help. If the parents choose to take their children there after seeing those advertisements, then those are most likely not the type of parents you want in your program anyway. Just continue to advertise your business and make sure to spell check and proof read everything before posting it in public and insure that you are being procieved as a professional; technically she still is your potential 'compitition'.
Reply
AmyKidsCo 01:37 PM 03-29-2013
I think people ARE judged by their spelling and grammar.

IMO if you're putting together professional materials - webpages, brochures, business cards, policy handbooks, forms, emails to parents, newsletters, etc - you NEED to make sure spelling and grammar are correct.

However, I think that in "casual" usage - texts, forums, FB posts, etc, where you're typing quickly or abbreviating - it's not such a big deal.

That's my 2c.
Reply
mamac 08:32 PM 03-29-2013
Originally Posted by snips&snails:
Not sure whether to laugh or cringe!!!! Didn't she have anyone who could tell her???
I'm almost wondering if people are just embarrassed enough for her that they don't want to say anything... Or everyone she knows has the same atrocious spelling as she does?



Originally Posted by Starburst:
Lol well that is one potental daycare name I will not be using then- I plan on having the word 'Star' in my daycare name too.

Anyway spelling errors in advertisements do bug me a bit because if you are trying to come off as professional you always want your final drafts to be proof-read. Just like with any business that sells good or services you want the final product to be the best it can be. And if I were a parent I would want the provider to be able to speak properly so that my child doesn't pick up unusual vernacular or bad grammer habits, espesually if they are going to be my child's main caregiver for 8+ hours a day. Since it is someone in your area that provides a similar service to you, I think I kinda understand the frustration because not only is that the image she is portraying of her own business but also the image she may be portraying of other providers in her area as well- it can come off to some as they don't need to be well educated for this career which could lead people into comparing it to "babysitting". But then again for all you know English may not be her first language- most languages have different speaking patterns than English; or she may speak really well but has problems getting what she wants to say into print- some people are very verbal but don't do well with computers or with writing/typing. And as another person said just because she doesn't have the best language doesn't mean that she isn't a good child care provider. Maybe she posts those pictures because she likes photography too. Though if her pictures includes the faces of the kids (not sure if they do or not but if they did) and if I were a parent and there was new pictures of my kid on FB every day on an a public page I would get annoyed, even if I signed a paper that my kids could be used in advertisements- it's called confidentiallity, if it was a secure page only for DC parents that is different.

If I were you, I would just ignore it and not do anything unless she asked you for help. If the parents choose to take their children there after seeing those advertisements, then those are most likely not the type of parents you want in your program anyway. Just continue to advertise your business and make sure to spell check and proof read everything before posting it in public and insure that you are being procieved as a professional; technically she still is your potential 'compitition'.
Oh I'm definitely not going to say anything but I would love to! I just find it so hard to believe that there hasn't been ONE person to ever point it out. Unless they have and she somehow thinks it's "unique"...???

I haven't opened yet but I have already had a bunch of people proof-read my paperwork. So far everything looks good. And with all the great information I get off this forum I am constantly re-reading my handbook every time I add something to it! And I may be na´ve, but I don't think other daycares in my area are my competition. I can't see how I can really "compete" with another dc. No two dc's are alike and I figure a parent is going to choose who they feel is best for their child. The only fear I have is if someone wants to get a bug up their @$$ and badmouth me for no reason.

Originally Posted by Starburst:
Lol well that is one potental daycare name I will not be using then- I plan on having the word 'Star' in my daycare name too.
Btw, how about a twist on her horrible spelling? You could go with "Shotting Star"...
Reply
Scout 08:50 PM 03-29-2013
I agree with Willow. And honestly, I see a LOT of spelling and grammar errors on these forums(myself included) and I don't think it would be polite to point them out to anyone. Just ignore it and it can't bother you!
Reply
mamac 09:06 PM 03-29-2013
Originally Posted by Scout:
I agree with Willow. And honestly, I see a LOT of spelling and grammar errors on these forums(myself included) and I don't think it would be polite to point them out to anyone. Just ignore it and it can't bother you!
I completely agree and I'll admit I'm not perfect either. I just tend to notice spelling and grammar errors because that has always been one of my biggest pet peeves. I just assume, for the most part, that a lot of the errors on this forum are just carelessness from typing fast, using a cell phone, etc. And people here shouldn't be judged by their spelling like someone who is promoting their business might be. But either way, I would still never be the one to point it out unless asked.
Reply
Starburst 09:24 PM 03-29-2013
Originally Posted by mamac:
Btw, how about a twist on her horrible spelling? You could go with "Shotting Star"...
That is actually going to be the name of my toddler group... well the "shooting stars" . Lol I need to be very clear on the grammer when advertising that or they may think they are supposed to "shoot Star" (that would not be good since I'm Star).

I'm like a grammer/spelling nazi during group class projects because I drive my group members nuts trying to properly word things and spell things right on group posters.

PS I forgot to read the name and didn't realize you were a provider in training member.
Reply
Mondaygirl 05:15 PM 03-31-2013
Originally Posted by Starburst:

I'm like a grammer/spelling nazi during group class projects
It's actually spelled "grammar" instead of "grammer".
Reply
Starburst 07:10 PM 03-31-2013
Originally Posted by Mondaygirl:
It's actually spelled "grammar" instead of "grammer".
I save all my major spelling for school and business. If I am not being graded or paid for it I couldn't careless.

Lol I should add that to my pet peeves on the other thread when people say "I could care less" when they mean they 'couldn't care less'- because if they could care less then they technically do care a little bit.
Reply
Scout 07:21 PM 03-31-2013
Originally Posted by mamac:
I completely agree and I'll admit I'm not perfect either. I just tend to notice spelling and grammar errors because that has always been one of my biggest pet peeves. I just assume, for the most part, that a lot of the errors on this forum are just carelessness from typing fast, using a cell phone, etc. And people here shouldn't be judged by their spelling like someone who is promoting their business might be. But either way, I would still never be the one to point it out unless asked.
This is true...my phone will get me every time!
Reply
Tags:facebook
Reply Up