Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:00 AM
New Daycare.com Member

Smile Center Time

Hello, We do center time in the afternoons the only problem I am noticing the classroom I am working does not have a lot of options, they have big wooden blocks, big cars and little cars, toy animals, kitchen area (but not a lot of pretend food), some sorting objects, books, magnets, dress up clothes, baby dolls, legos and other connect blocks, mr potato head, some literacy and counting puzzles and that's about all they have.

My class gets bored pretty fast during center time, I always try to do some type of sensory activity during center time, I have made home made playdoh, they play with shaving cream or foam, or I fill one of the toy bins with water for water play. but the Kids fight over who goes to the sensory center first I only allow two to three people at the sensory tables at once. but all the other centers have three to four people (depending on the size of my class that day)

How Can I keep kids busy and happy during center time, if they are not at the sensory table?
How do I eliminate children going to one activity to the next?

I can also use some activities ideas that are fun for the kids.. My age group is 4-5 year old Preschool (low in cost, something I can make, or the preschool might already have) Thanks! I have pinterest and Have some ideas but it's always great to hear feedback from others and what they do in their classroom!
Old 07-24-2014, 10:15 AM
Daycare.com Member

I have laminated name tags with Velcro attached for each child. On each activity available I place Velcro equal to the # of children that I want in that area. Eg. Blocks, cars, Legos have 2. Playdoh, art have 4. If that center is full, kids can write their name on a dry erase board in that area to be "next in line" to play there. I teach the kids leaving the activity to clean up, remove their name and check the board for anyone who wants a turn. They will notify whoever is "next". My 2-5's are GREAT with this. It really helped eliminate the issue with wait times.

You have about the same assortment that I do- maybe add a library/cozy area, a free art station. My kids love the bins of rainbow rice with measuring scoops, beans/fake flowers/ pots, and have a current interest in bowling pins/balls labeled with numbers.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:43 AM
Preschool Teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycarediva View Post
I have laminated name tags with Velcro attached for each child. On each activity available I place Velcro equal to the # of children that I want in that area. Eg. Blocks, cars, Legos have 2. Playdoh, art have 4. If that center is full, kids can write their name on a dry erase board in that area to be "next in line" to play there. I teach the kids leaving the activity to clean up, remove their name and check the board for anyone who wants a turn. They will notify whoever is "next". My 2-5's are GREAT with this. It really helped eliminate the issue with wait times.

You have about the same assortment that I do- maybe add a library/cozy area, a free art station. My kids love the bins of rainbow rice with measuring scoops, beans/fake flowers/ pots, and have a current interest in bowling pins/balls labeled with numbers.
Do you have a time limit?
Old 07-28-2014, 08:06 PM
New Daycare.com Member

awesome idea!
Old 07-29-2014, 03:28 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissAnn View Post
Do you have a time limit?
Not on most of the areas, unless it's getting a longer waiting list. Then I ask the kids to hurry things along.

I have a timer on one electronic center (wii). It has two games, Wii sports and Mario Kart and each big kid gets 20 minutes per day. (big kid=potty trained!) They mostly play together since all the games are 2+ players, so it goes quick.

I rarely have issues.