Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>If I Hear a Parent Say...
Unregistered 11:40 AM 09-17-2014
If I hear one more parent tell me they couldn't get socks on their two year old or they can't make their kid do things I'm going to scream ! Seriously be the parent the boss of your child! Your 2 year old does not run the show at daycare and shouldn't at home either! Step it up parents I'm tired of fighting your battles for you.

P.s your kid is a monster brat that you created good luck with the teenage years!
Cat Herder 11:51 AM 09-17-2014
Tomorrows group project? A huge coloring poster that says "Can't never did anything!"
NeedaVaca 11:56 AM 09-17-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Tomorrows group project? A huge coloring poster that says "Can't never did anything!"
I love that phrase and use it when needed (although in my case it's the kids saying they can't do something lol, not the parents!!
AmyKidsCo 02:09 PM 09-17-2014
I had a 2 yr old come in barefoot in only a diaper. He threw a fit about getting dressed at home so Dad brought him as-is. It was 42 degrees outside. When they came in he was throwing a fit because he was cold. Dad and I both said "Then maybe you should get dressed at home." After Dad left I put his clothes down next to him and walked away. He was dressed in 5 minutes.

I consider that a win because he didn't make Dad late for work, couldn't engage Dad or I in a fight over it, he got dressed, and he learned that if he doesn't get dressed at home he'll be cold. like this

Kind of like his older sister learned that if she leaves her Dr office stickers on the bathroom wall I'll assume she doesn't want them and throw them out.

Man, I'm a mean grandma!
SilverSabre25 02:18 PM 09-17-2014
IMO it depends all on the attitude of the parents. Sometimes it seems to be an excuse for not setting or following through on limits. Other times...I fully see it as an absolutely reasonable unwillingness to engage in power struggles. I support the unwillingness to fight. I support the allowing of natural consequences. I really REALLY support natural and logical consequences. So...it all depends on the parent's attitude and general approach.

Refusing to engage in power struggles, and allowing children to make reasonable choices about their own bodies is wonderful. Forcing minor things on a toddler is pretty an adult throwing slightly more mature tantrum and is really quite silly.

And you know what? not wearing socks never hurt anyone.

(but yes...some parents do it wrong, just like everything else)
KiddieCahoots 02:19 PM 09-17-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
If I hear one more parent tell me they couldn't get socks on their two year old or they can't make their kid do things I'm going to scream ! Seriously be the parent the boss of your child! Your 2 year old does not run the show at daycare and shouldn't at home either! Step it up parents I'm tired of fighting your battles for you.

P.s your kid is a monster brat that you created good luck with the teenage years!
I feel your pain and swear I could've written this post!
Just today watched the sock battle in front of me, as the child pulls them off as soon as dcm steps in the door. Of course.....all day long child leaves the socks on and is fine with them.
deliberateliterate 11:25 AM 09-18-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
IMO it depends all on the attitude of the parents. Sometimes it seems to be an excuse for not setting or following through on limits. Other times...I fully see it as an absolutely reasonable unwillingness to engage in power struggles. I support the unwillingness to fight. I support the allowing of natural consequences. I really REALLY support natural and logical consequences. So...it all depends on the parent's attitude and general approach.

Refusing to engage in power struggles, and allowing children to make reasonable choices about their own bodies is wonderful. Forcing minor things on a toddler is pretty an adult throwing slightly more mature tantrum and is really quite silly.

yes, this. When my DS doesn't want to put his coat on himself in the winter, I bring it with me, and wait until he's cold enough to do it.
daycarediva 11:31 AM 09-18-2014

well said.
Luna 11:58 AM 09-18-2014
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
I had a 2 yr old come in barefoot in only a diaper. He threw a fit about getting dressed at home so Dad brought him as-is. It was 42 degrees outside. When they came in he was throwing a fit because he was cold. Dad and I both said "Then maybe you should get dressed at home." After Dad left I put his clothes down next to him and walked away. He was dressed in 5 minutes.

I consider that a win because he didn't make Dad late for work, couldn't engage Dad or I in a fight over it, he got dressed, and he learned that if he doesn't get dressed at home he'll be cold. like this

Kind of like his older sister learned that if she leaves her Dr office stickers on the bathroom wall I'll assume she doesn't want them and throw them out.

Man, I'm a mean grandma!
I like this thinking. I really have a problem with a parent spending 10 minutes explaining why the child needs their coat on, only to give in and leave without it. I have to walk away from that nonsense if it's going on in front of me.
littlemissmuffet 12:20 PM 09-18-2014

Very well put!!
Unregistered 12:40 PM 09-18-2014
My dcg insists on wearing dresses, which isn't a big deal, except it is now getting cooler and a little cool to have bare legs and no socks when we go outside. We've also had the issue of the little girl pulling up her dress, so I started putting shorts on her under her dress. The parents always tell me they can't get her to stop wearing dresses. The other day, she came to daycare in pants and a t-shirt, but had a dress on over them.

I understand compromising, but I also thought, You had her in just pants and a shirt already, so if you didn't want her to wear a dress, you could have just said no.

We have had the issue of the parents not wanting to tell their kids no. Instead of telling your child, "no, you can't have a milkshake at McDonalds today," they tell her the machine is broken. It's a small thing, but there really isn't any need to lie to your child. It's ok to tell her no.

She will scream and kick, but kids get over it. I guess we all pick our battles.
Reply Up