Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Tips for Caring for Two 12 Month Olds Alone...
LeslieG 12:48 PM 09-12-2018
My sister and I do daycare together (for now) and we have five 3-4 year olds and two 12 month olds. One of the older kids is mine and one of the babies is mine. My sister is planning on substitute teaching this school year with the hopes of landing a fulltime teaching job next school year.

Right now we're able to manage all of the kids pretty well between the two of us, however, I'm nervous about being alone on days that she subs. How do you do it as a single provider? Any advice?
Blackcat31 12:56 PM 09-12-2018
Routine, routine, routine.

That IS the key to survival.

I have 12 alone.
All 5 yrs old and under (including 2 under 2 yrs old)

A daily routine is a sanity saver and helps the kids behave better as most kid misbehavior is due to lack of "security" or feelings of uneasiness etc

The more secure and comfortable the kids are with their daily routines, the better they understand and adhere to rules.

I'd develop a daily routine while your sister is there and then just follow it like normal whether she is there or not.
Gemma 01:18 PM 09-12-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I have 12 alone.

A daily routine is a sanity saver and helps the kids behave better as most kid misbehavior is due to lack of "security" or feelings of uneasiness etc

The more secure and comfortable the kids are with their daily routines, the better they understand and adhere to rules.

I'd develop a daily routine while your sister is there and then just follow it like normal whether she is there or not.
This
KiwiKids 02:33 PM 09-12-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I have 12 alone.

This is what I do exactly.
Ariana 02:51 PM 09-12-2018
It is really not that hard! They can sit up on their own so when you are doing something with one, the other can entertain themselves. I would organize my space for maximum supervision. I just recently created a kitchen in my downstairs playspace so I can supervise while making dinner. I change everyone on a mat on the floor in the playroom to maximize supervision as well. Toys are accessible and age appropriate and are rotated weekly.

As BC mentioned routine is king!
jenboo 03:55 PM 09-12-2018
I had 5 kids under 2 alone. Routine and separate. Make sure they babies have a separate safe area to go in when you need to use the bathroom etc.
Cat Herder 06:41 AM 09-13-2018
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I had 5 kids under 2 alone. Routine and separate. Make sure they babies have a separate safe area to go in when you need to use the bathroom etc.
Same here. It makes all the difference.
Tags:daily routine, managing children, sanity
Reply Up