Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>15 Month Old Doesn’t Want Sippy Cup
Core12 05:15 AM 01-13-2019
I have a 15 month old who screams and cries when I try to give her the sippy cup her mom just provided to me. It’s very obvious that this mother isn’t giving her the sippy cup at home and gives her a bottle instead...and wants me alone to deal with this problem.
Last week, I texted her mother before the child napped and asked her if she still gives her a bottle...she said only at nighttime. This child screams so loud and high it hurts my ears. She doesn’t stop until she gets her way.
How am I supposed to implement a no bottle policy if the parents are doing the same st home?!
rosieteddy 07:38 AM 01-13-2019
I would buy a soft top sippy cup.That is about all you can do.When I transitioned them from bottle to cup I also had them self feed.IF I had room they moved from highchair to communal table.Everyone had covered cups.It usually took a couple of weeks.Parents can do what they want ,but no pacy's or bottles after 12 months at Nana's. Kids learn pretty quick that parents give in quicker than Nana.
hwichlaz 04:41 PM 01-14-2019
ignore the screams

she'll learn that there are different rules at daycare, it should only take a few days
Ariana 05:44 PM 01-14-2019
She is having a tantrum so you can either ignore until she gives in and drinks it or call the mom everytime she refuses to take it. I would have a chat with mom about what is going on and let her know that you will be temrinating care if this continues. This way it becomes the moms problem to deal with and she won’t be relying on you to break the habit.
Blackcat31 06:55 AM 01-15-2019
I serve. They eat/drink. Or don't.

If the child knows how to use the sippy but is simply refusing, I'd just ignore. Serve. Walk away.

No attention, no discussion, no conversation.
Just here's your cup.
trytobearunner34 10:17 AM 01-15-2019
I don’t pander to children but the 19 month old I watch had a terrible time transitioning from bottle to sippy cup. They kept saying they couldn’t understand why he as having trouble at my house as he took it just fine at theirs (lol, yeah right? Eventually mom admitted to still keeping bottles in the house and let the cat out the bag they were still being used).

Long story short he needed a sippy cup that mimicked the shape of his bottle. It is a sippy cup with a spout but curves in at the middle the way his bottles did. I keep two at my house (his family is super disorganized and kept sending in random ones from which he would not drink from for days/weeks at a time which led to issues with constipation). Since making the switch to this cup with 100% consistency we have zero issues with him taking a sippy cup here.

Maybe there is a cup that has some similarity with her bottle. Best of luck and I know it was such an annoying time for us!
Tags:15 month old, sippy cup
Reply Up