Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Much?
Unregistered 11:39 AM 09-03-2019
How much notice do you give parents when they need to bring supplies diapers wipes? Just wondering because I had a parent get mad that I didnt give enough notice. Left me shaking my head in disbelief that they would get mad over their kid needing supplies. I tell them and they always forget for a day or two to bring them. So I said that they needed them tomorrow which was not enough notice and ridiculous according to them.

How do you handle it when supplies are low and needed?
Cat Herder 11:40 AM 09-03-2019
I give notices on Fridays to give them the weekend to get what is needed.
Ariana 11:44 AM 09-03-2019
Depends on the parents but my current group is VERY forgetful so I give them notice when I have about 5-7 diapers left. I will give a verbal reminder first and then a text if they forget.

I had one parent forget for nearly a week. I luckily had enough diapers because I planned for the forgetfulness but I sent her home in a giant pull-up just to send a message and to make sure they didn’t forget again. My next step would be to refuse care.
Cat Herder 11:50 AM 09-03-2019
On Friday mornings I check cubbies. If they will run out during the next work week I give them notice. A surplus is always better than a deficiency when it comes to sanitary supplies.

I also don't have many clients that supply diapers anymore, most just accept the $15 per week diaper fee and let me supply everything. Of the ones that do supply, the majority of those change over to mine by 10-12 months.
e.j. 12:16 PM 09-03-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I give notices on Fridays to give them the weekend to get what is needed.
I try to do this, too, for the same reason. Sometimes I have to give short notice because I didn't notice supplies were running low but I've never caught any flack for it. Usually parents stock up. (I used to keep a spare pack of diapers and wipes in my car trunk when my oldest was in day care.)
Blackcat31 12:38 PM 09-03-2019
I put a Post-it note on their cubby with a date on it when they have approximately 5 days of supplies remaining.

If they don't bring supplies by the 4th day pick up, I send them a reminder that supplies need to be brought the next morning.

If they don't bring supplies that 5th day I verbally tell them they will not be accepted into care after today without the requested supplies.

My current families are OVER suppliers as I get huge ginormous boxes of diapers and wipes. Sometimes to the point that I am not able to store so much and have to send some back home. There is just no happy medium...
LittleExplorers 12:59 PM 09-03-2019
I try to check Wednesdays, but it's usually Fridays. We live in a rural area with little selection and high prices for what is near us. That gives them the weekend to shop or time to order online. I always suggest when they bring me supplies, they restock at home for the next time.
knoxmomof2 01:19 PM 09-03-2019
I check supplies on Friday and let them know at pickup that they'll need them on Monday. If I had a forgetful parent, I would tell them at pickup and also text them every time from then on. That way there's a record. Then, when they give you grief, just say "this is actually your second reminder. I reminded you and texted you on Friday" and it's easy to prove. If someone needs more notice, they need to make that clear.

I have a parent who likes to do a big order from Amazon, so she'll ask me before she does an order and I'll estimate how long my supplies will make it. I always clarify that it's just an estimate just in case something changes.
rosieteddy 07:06 AM 09-04-2019
I was paid tuition monthly(at beginning of month)parents brought diapers and wipes then.If we ran out before next tuition I used a marker and wrote on diaper and left a note on bag.
Unregistered 08:36 AM 09-04-2019
I give at least a weeks notice

If there was ever an emergency I need 48-72 hours worth of aupploes
Msdunny 04:33 AM 09-05-2019
When I am down to about 8-10 diapers, I send a text. Thankfully, most of my parents go ahead and bring them the next day. We are on vacation next week, so I’ve told mine they could just bring a couple to finish out the week.
gonecrazy 06:45 AM 09-06-2019
When I have enough left for two or three days. Any parents that I have ever had work in town where they could easily grab whatever on the way home. I keep diapers here for those just in case, forgetful moments but something like formula would be a problem as I am not paying for that. I send a private message on Facebook when I need supplies so it's documented that they saw it.
Tags:notice for supplies, notice to parents, supplies - provided by parents
Reply Up