Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Influenza??
Kidsnest 06:15 AM 01-28-2020
Opinions... what would/do you guys do it one of your daycare kids siblings has Influenza? Do you still allow the child to come to daycare knowing theres a good chance they are next? Its so tricky since it can spread a day before symptoms even begin... I just want to try to keep it from spreading through daycare if I can but I know there’s only so much I can do. Thanks!
Ac114 06:18 AM 01-28-2020
That’s the only illness I will exclude a sibling for because my husband is immunocompromised and the last time he had the flu he was hospitalized.
Snowmom 06:31 AM 01-28-2020
Originally Posted by Kidsnest:
Opinions... what would/do you guys do it one of your daycare kids siblings has Influenza? Do you still allow the child to come to daycare knowing theres a good chance they are next? Its so tricky since it can spread a day before symptoms even begin... I just want to try to keep it from spreading through daycare if I can but I know there’s only so much I can do. Thanks!
I have a list of contagious illnesses where I DO exclude if siblings are diagnosed with any of them.

Influenza is on that list.
LittleExplorers 06:40 AM 01-28-2020
Along with the others, it is one of the few I exclude the household for.
Ariana 07:19 AM 01-28-2020
We are not immunocompromised nor are any of the daycare kids so I exclude for symptoms only. Incubation period can be up to 14 days so excluding won’t help a whole lot in my opinion. Lots of hand washing is key! Maybe a requirement for the flu shot every year would help as well. I have been thinking about doing this myself.
CountryRoads 07:40 AM 01-28-2020
I don't have anything in my policies about sibling illnesses.

However, for something like the flu, I would be very cautious and send the sibling home for any symptoms.

Just this morning I had a dcm tell me that her older child and her husband are home sick. Her 2 dck are here. Not gonna lie, I cringed a little
Kidsnest 09:53 AM 01-28-2020
Would you mind sharing how you have it stated in your policies that you exclude the entire household for these illnesses? And what other illnesses do you include? I’m just not sure how to word that. Also, what if you think a family probably has influenza but they didn’t go to the doctor and get tested?
Kidsnest 10:01 AM 01-28-2020
Also, how long would you exclude a daycare child of a sibling tested positive for influenza? How many days of showing no symptoms before allowing them to come back? In this case the child that comes to my daycare is a 4 year old. Her 11 year old brother has influenza B and was in the ER last night. He does not come to my daycare. Any opinions and suggestions are GREATLY appreciated!
Reply Up