Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Smocks, Scrubs, Uniforms?
dolores 04:29 PM 06-12-2020
Anyone wears smocks, scrubs, or some kind of uniform or requires their staff to? Learning this is a thing and considering for staff.
Former Teacher 09:06 PM 06-12-2020
Originally Posted by dolores:
Anyone wears smocks, scrubs, or some kind of uniform or requires their staff to? Learning this is a thing and considering for staff.
My former center went from casual, scrubs, to casual.

The Owner/Director thought it was more professional to wear the scrubs. So everyone got in the habit of wearing(and purchasing) scrubs. Which was nice because then our regular clothes weren't ruined

Then it became that Fridays you could wear what you liked.

Then once Summer rolled around, because of all of the field trips etc...you could wear what you liked BUT once school started you had to go back to scrubs.

Then it got to a point when the Director wasn't there (so I was in charge) and staff wouldn't wear scrubs (for whatever reason ) and I would enforce it and then when the Director WAS there, she DIDN'T enforce it....it was a mess.

Then everyone just eventually wore regular clothes all over again
DaveA 05:28 AM 06-13-2020
I worked at a center that had a uniform smock/ vest over normal clothes. Another center I worked at provided polos with the center logo. Otherwise it was usually just normal clothes. I generally wore a polo shirt and jeans or khakis.

Honestly appearance is a pet peeve of mine from my center days. I'm not saying we need to dress up, but it drove me nuts to see people walk into work in a DX tshirt and pants that looked like they built a house in them. If I were setting a dress code I would go scrub top and solid color jeans or khakis. Oh- and be careful how you word the dress code. It's going to get amusing fast if you're the only guy in a staff meeting of 60+ and the director announces the new dress code includes "all employees must wear a bra".
CeriBear 05:52 AM 06-13-2020
My center really doesn’t have a dress code. During the main session we are not allowed to wear shorts but other than that almost anything goes. During the summer we can wear shorts as long as they are fingertip length or longer but not all follow this rule. I’m not really a nitpick but this one area I wish the administration/owners would be a little more strict. I’m not suggesting we dress like business professionals but shorts and yoga pants are a bit casual in my opinion. I usually wear nice jeans or khakis and a shirt. We have the option of wearing a t shirt with the center name and logo. I’ve never seen anyone sent home for violating the dress code yet.
dolores 10:11 AM 06-13-2020
Originally Posted by DaveA:
Oh- and be careful how you word the dress code. It's going to get amusing fast if you're the only guy in a staff meeting of 60+ and the director announces the new dress code includes "all employees must wear a bra".
Hah! I would be sure to remember to be careful of the dress code (should we decide to implement one) communication
springv 10:47 AM 06-13-2020
We wear shirts with our logo on them and jeans
flying_babyb 01:13 PM 06-14-2020
So:
Worked at one center where we had to buy 5 shirts from them with the logo ($10 a shirt) and a sweater ($45). We could wear ANY black pants as long as they wernt jeans.

second center: you had to buy a specific style of wine colored scrubs, matching top and pants, and black crocs. oh and you couldnt get the scrubs used anywere (i looked). There was no exception to the crocs things either. I had to find a differnt job as i cant wear crocs.

Current job: Look proffesional, Jeans are cool, shorts are cool, some teachers (baby and toddler) dont wear shoes, the big kid teachers spend most of the day in slippers.
Unregistered 05:06 AM 06-15-2020
My center is jeans without holes or black leggings that are thick enough they don’t show your underwear and a center t-shirt with their logo. We can have any color shirt as long as it has the logo which I am planning on making since the logo needs to be higher on the since the shirts they provide has the logo in a place I don’t want it.
happymom 08:22 AM 06-19-2020
Our center (we are clients) wears smocks. LOL it's funny to me how the staff becomes unrecognizable when they are not wearing smocks.

They seem really practical, too. They have giant pockets that hold a lot of random things LOL.
284878 06:41 PM 06-20-2020
Originally Posted by happymom:
Our center (we are clients) wears smocks. LOL it's funny to me how the staff becomes unrecognizable when they are not wearing smocks.

They seem really practical, too. They have giant pockets that hold a lot of random things LOL.
I wear a carpenter/waitress apron just for the large pockets. I have know idea how I get so much sand in the pockets.
Unregistered 10:35 PM 06-24-2020
Multiple childcares: no dress code I was aware of.

One place I was at, a local place, but all over the city: appropriate logo clothing, no body parts hanging out (butt cracks, lots of boobs, stomach), backing on sandals, no see through, no straps-only tops, and no holes in jeans. The holes in jeans subsided in 2017, 20 years after the company came into existence, due to the fashion and the average age of employees being 18-22.

Next place, privately owned, local: almost no code-just dont have things hang out and appropriate logos. I had to tell one employee her skirt was too short.

Next place: a wannabe hoidy toidy place (the Kiddie Academy franchise) with a burgandy top (company provided 3, rest purchased, and they would pay for the logo but not the shirt. As a front office staff I had to wear professional tops) and black or khaki pants. Except Fridays, then it was company shirt and jeans. Ugh! The worst. And the school just acted presigious-staff was nothing spectacular in comparison to other centers.
Last place, YMCA: apparently strict but no higher ups checked so it was what I was OK with essentially. Staff had to wear provided staff shirt, name badge, or apron. As Director, I did not, just my badge. No sweats, but I didn't care much, cover your rear in yoga pants, cover your body (like above) appropriate logos.

Current: my house. Ahhh so nice. I dont even wear jeans much-I have some nice, flaired, cotton pants that are not PJ's but are just as comfy.

But for covid 19, scrubs may be appropriate.

I think having rules in place about rips, stains, and unkept should suffice. Too strict leads to upkeep, and I dont like $ spent from either a company or an individual making minimum wage for shirts. But a shirt or sweatshirt for staff after X months or a year would be a nice gift. Aprons could be optional for those who want to prevent stains on their clothes, and to have a "work pocket".
Tags:coronavirus - managing daycare, scrubs, uniform
Reply Up