Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When A Parent Loses Their Job How Long Do You Hold Their Spot?
Unregistered 03:45 PM 10-07-2011
I have a parent of a little one that lost their job today, money is really tight for her so I don't think she will be paying for care while she looks for a new one. How long without payment would you hold his spot? How do you talk to parents about this without being blunt and putting them off.
nannyde 03:54 PM 10-07-2011
I require a one months notice and only receive notice on a Friday.

I would just hold the spot during the one month.

I would counsel the parent that they needed to supply the one month notice and to let me know if their situation changed and they wanted to recind the notice.
e.j. 06:07 PM 10-07-2011
It sounds callous, but I won't hold a spot without being paid for it.
I explain to parents that as much as I would like to be able to hold the spot open for them, I can't afford to do that for them for financial reasons. I have bills that need to be paid and I can't do that if I'm not being paid. I offer to take them back as long as I have an opening available.

I do waive my 2 week notice requirement, though, if they lost their job unexpectedly and they can't afford to pay me for that time.
Solandia 04:44 AM 10-08-2011
I don't really hold spots for anyone w/o a large deposit.

That said, I do not typically fill all my spots in my daycare, on purpose. So if I fill the child's spot, I usually still have an open slot to fill if they need daycare again. That, and new siblings are the only times I fill all my daycare openings. I don't hold new baby spots either, but I will take them on if I haven't fill all my daycare openings.

Rarely does it happen that I have an unemployed parent become employed AND a new sibling coming into care after I filled their spots with a new client. Once it did, and they rearranged care schedules temporarily until I had a 5yo go to Kindie (it was only a few months).
JenNJ 05:46 AM 10-08-2011
I wont. I let people drop to part time, it I do try to fill the space. It seems harsh, but their problems are not my problems. My family shouldn't suffer BC someone else lost their job.
Blackcat31 06:06 AM 10-08-2011
I don't normally hold spots for anyone either but this last spring one of my dcd's lost his job. The parents asked if their DD, (who was normally a 5 day a week child) could come for 2 days per week until he found another job. They paid 50% of their normal rate for those 2 days per week. The dcd ended up finding another job after about 6 weeks and the child returned to care full time.

I allowed that arrangement with the understanding that if I had someone interested in the space, I would give them first opportunity to return full time but if they didn't want to, then I would fill the space. I don't advertise and all my clients in the last 5 years or so have been mostly from word of mouth.

The only reason I allowed it was because I had the family for almost 6 years. I also knew that the dad was actively looking for a new job and it wasn't just a ploy to get cheaper daycare. This family ALWAYS gave bonuses at holiday time, Never disrespected any of my policies and never once missed a payment so I figured I could be at least that flexible. This family was also great about referring families to me. They have referred 3 families to me since they started and all 3 have signed on and have been great families as well.

I guess I would handle each situation individually. Most of the time I am pretty strict and unwaivering about my policies but sometimes in this business, you have to remember that to be successful, part of it is building AND maintaining partnerships and relationships. I may run like a business 95% of the time but I try to remember those who have helped me build a good reputation.
Tags:bad economy, holding spot policy, parent - lost job
Reply Up