Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>MI Providers And Star Rating
morgan24 07:20 AM 01-16-2014
How many of the MI providers are doing the star ratings? I got a call from Great Start and they want me to up my star rating to improve my referrals. I have never in 18 years of doing care gotten a call from someone through Great Start. I live in a small town where I have been all my life and all my daycare clients are word of mouth or they already know me. I don't think it would be time well spent for me.
melilley 07:36 AM 01-16-2014
I have done it and have a 3, working on a 4.

The reason Great Start is calling you is that if they don't get providers to participate in the QRIS/Stars program, they will lose funding.

I actually had a class Tues. and one of the ladies from the oyc was there and she said that the pressure from the state or government for oyc to get providers to do the SAS is so overwhelming, that the ladies in the office often cry because of the pressure, they have to make a quota otherwise they get in trouble and the state (or whoever provides the funding-either on the state or federal level, I can't remember)

That's why they are calling and emailing every provider.
melilley 07:37 AM 01-16-2014
And she said it's not a requirement now to have a star rating, but in the future it will probably be mandatory.
Annalee 09:04 AM 01-16-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
I have done it and have a 3, working on a 4.

The reason Great Start is calling you is that if they don't get providers to participate in the QRIS/Stars program, they will lose funding.
I am not fond of anyone losing their job, but I wish QRIS would allow licensing to set up rules/regs again the way it used to be because QRIS/FCCERS assessment has become so unrealistic, plus providers are going underground daily....It causes so much undue stress. Our state's outside child care agencies have lost much funding but QRIS is in the law here so it is mandated annually.
morgan24 09:48 AM 01-16-2014
I don't want to see anyone lose their job either. I already do the 10 hours of training every year and I search for classes that will help me improve. I just can't see spending time taking the classes for the 5 star ratings if it's not going to make a difference for me. My area the majority of people could careless if you even licensed. I just wondered about the calls because she was very pushy. Thanks for clearing it up!
melilley 09:54 AM 01-16-2014
Originally Posted by dapb45:
I am not fond of anyone losing their job, but I wish QRIS would allow licensing to set up rules/regs again the way it used to be because QRIS/FCCERS assessment has become so unrealistic, plus providers are going underground daily....It causes so much undue stress. Our state's outside child care agencies have lost much funding but QRIS is in the law here so it is mandated annually.
I agree, very unrealistic, especially if you don't have any education (that's one of the #1 complaints that I have herard)! In my area, there are only about 3 of us fccers who have any star at all!
I have to say though, it was really easy for me to get a 3, but to get a 4 or 5 is really hard and to get some of the points, it costs us money-money that I don't have! And it's sad to say, but from going to our mandated 10 hrs. of training, I have come across other providers who have no clue what half of the indicators for the assessment mean! Our OYC lady said that that's one of the problems, they want the state to get providers to participate, but they won't allow consultants to do anything as far as training, but to email and call. I think one of the only reasons that I know about a lot of what the indicators ask for is because I have had years and years of experience in chdv before opening and I have my AS in chdv so they were fairly familiar. Not to say that other people with experience and/or education won't know what they mean, but in reality, through hearing people, they don't. Hope that makes sense!

It's just sad that they want our state's people (we have OYC-Office of Young Children) to get providers on board, but they won't give them the support to do it!
melilley 09:58 AM 01-16-2014
Originally Posted by morgan24:
I don't want to see anyone lose their job either. I already do the 10 hours of training every year and I search for classes that will help me improve. I just can't see spending time taking the classes for the 5 star ratings if it's not going to make a difference for me. My area the majority of people could careless if you even licensed. I just wondered about the calls because she was very pushy. Thanks for clearing it up!
To tell you the truth, only one of my parents have ANY idea what the STARS program is..and that's because she's in school majoring in child development. When I received a 3 star rating, I sent home a bunch of info. on it and the rest of my parents never asked about it and when I mentioned something to one parent, she had no idea what I was talking about, even after I sent home the info.!

They oyc lady said that in the future all providers will have to participate so parents will eventually know about the program, but who knows.
lovemykidstoo 10:01 AM 01-16-2014
I'm in Michigan and I have not done it either. They continue to do and do and do. Spend money and spend money, but yet so many of us are struggling to make ends meet as it is and I also agree that I have never had a referral from Great Start. So, I'm supposed to do all of that just to make the State happy? Nope. Sorry
Annalee 10:03 AM 01-16-2014
I agree, very unrealistic, especially if you don't have any education (that's one of the #1 complaints that I have herard)! In my area, there are only about 3 of us fccers who have any star at all!
I have to say though, it was really easy for me to get a 3, but to get a 4 or 5 is really hard and to get some of the points, it costs us money-money that I don't have! And it's sad to say, but from going to our mandated 10 hrs. of training, I have come across other providers who have no clue what half of the indicators for the assessment mean! Our OYC lady said that that's one of the problems, they want the state to get providers to participate, but they won't allow consultants to do anything as far as training, but to email and call. I think one of the only reasons that I know about a lot of what the indicators ask for is because I have had years and years of experience in chdv before opening and I have my AS in chdv so they were fairly familiar. Not to say that other people with experience and/or education won't know what they mean, but in reality, through hearing people, they don't. Hope that makes sense!

It's just sad that they want our state's people (we have OYC-Office of Young Children) to get providers on board, but they won't give them the support to do it!
Sad thing about my state is that we have 5 or 6 components on our report card. Even if you have a BS in early childhood, you have to score well on your assessment. If your assessment doesn't meet a certain score it is a big, fat 0 across the board. THAT IS NOT FAIR! I have seen NAFCC accredited/CDA-credentialed/BS degree providers fail the state of TN assessment....SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH THAT!!!!! The biggest issue is when you have non-mobile infants...you have to take materials to them and it be a significant amount of time for them to view these materials. Another big issue is if you stay outside for, what they consider, too long, you have to meet all the requirements of materials out there as well....SO the providers failing are NOT bad providers, just not meeting some unrealistic requirement. I have always scored well, but have to admit, you become crafty in meeting criteria in your own way....kind of like a game and that benefits NO ONE!
Annalee 10:06 AM 01-16-2014
To tell you the truth, only one of my parents have ANY idea what the STARS program is..and that's because she's in school majoring in child development. When I received a 3 star rating, I sent home a bunch of info. on it and the rest of my parents never asked about it and when I mentioned something to one parent, she had no idea what I was talking about, even after I sent home the info.!

They oyc lady said that in the future all providers will have to participate so parents will eventually know about the program, but who knows.
VERY GOOD POINT!!!! Parents are clueless when it comes to this report card. Sure, I have explained it to them during parent meetings, but the bottom line is they want their kids cared for and loved....They do not count science and math toys to see if there is enough...
melilley 10:11 AM 01-16-2014
Sad thing about my state is that we have 5 or 6 components on our report card. Even if you have a BS in early childhood, you have to score well on your assessment. If your assessment doesn't meet a certain score it is a big, fat 0 across the board. THAT IS NOT FAIR! I have seen NAFCC accredited/CDA-credentialed/BS degree providers fail the state of TN assessment....SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH THAT!!!!! The biggest issue is when you have non-mobile infants...you have to take materials to them and it be a significant amount of time for them to view these materials. Another big issue is if you stay outside for, what they consider, too long, you have to meet all the requirements of materials out there as well....SO the providers failing are NOT bad providers, just not meeting some unrealistic requirement. I have always scored well, but have to admit, you become crafty in meeting criteria in your own way....kind of like a game and that benefits NO ONE!
Wow, that's crazy!

I think MI seems more lax in their requirements. It was super easy for me to get a 3 and a 4 is obtainable-I also have become a little crafty..lol. And no one comes out to our house unless you have a 4 and above.

But what you describe for your state is ridiculous! I don't think half, probably over half, of these people who make these assessment requirements have ever worked with children or in a group care environment!
Annalee 10:23 AM 01-16-2014
Wow, that's crazy!

I think MI seems more lax in their requirements. It was super easy for me to get a 3 and a 4 is obtainable-I also have become a little crafty..lol. And no one comes out to our house unless you have a 4 and above.

But what you describe for your state is ridiculous! I don't think half, probably over half, of these people who make these assessment requirements have ever worked with children or in a group care environment!
The problem we have with it here is it is a state LAW and it will take legislation to get it gone and that has proven to be very difficult.

Providers would be happy if it become voluntary then we would all opt-out and NOT participate.
Childminder 06:12 PM 01-16-2014
I am in MI and have a 3 star. I will not ever get a 4 because I would need to do home visits and get real that ain't gonna happen! A 5 is unobtainable because at almost 60 I would have to get a degree.

None of my parents have heard of QRIS and those I have shared it with are like "whatever".

Is it the reason I am not getting any calls lately? After all it basically gives me a "C"if a parent would be looking. I am the only one in my zip code that has participated though so I doubt that is why.

I wish I could quit this business but looks like I have to do it another 9 years till retirement age. Too unstable financially, especially lately, never seen it this bad.

Oh and I was told that the amount of hours will be going to 24 in the near future for FCC training requirements.
Annalee 08:16 PM 01-16-2014
Originally Posted by Childminder:
I am in MI and have a 3 star. I will not ever get a 4 because I would need to do home visits and get real that ain't gonna happen! A 5 is unobtainable because at almost 60 I would have to get a degree.

None of my parents have heard of QRIS and those I have shared it with are like "whatever".

Is it the reason I am not getting any calls lately? After all it basically gives me a "C"if a parent would be looking. I am the only one in my zip code that has participated though so I doubt that is why.

I wish I could quit this business but looks like I have to do it another 9 years till retirement age. Too unstable financially, especially lately, never seen it this bad.

Oh and I was told that the amount of hours will be going to 24 in the near future for FCC training requirements.
At least a degree would count for something in your state, I have a degree but it is for naught if the assessment score with FCCERS-revised does not meet at least the minimum score deemed by the state law. Whoever set this up knew what they were doing by making it a law to be assessed annually because providers sure can't make it go away!
melilley 06:05 AM 01-17-2014
Originally Posted by Childminder:

24 hours of training!? I can barely do the 10 plus the CPR every year!

I don't think parents really look at the ratings right now either. I'm sure there are a few, but I have only gotten one call from someone who even found me on Great Start.

And I agree, the home visits are what is putting me off from going for a 4!

I've heard from all over that people are having a hard time with enrollment. I have gotten a million calls for infants, but had an ad for around 3 months for 30 months and up and only had one interview and about 1 call!
morgan24 06:33 AM 01-17-2014
24 hours of training!? I can barely do the 10 plus the CPR every year!

I don't think parents really look at the ratings right now either. I'm sure there are a few, but I have only gotten one call from someone who even found me on Great Start.

And I agree, the home visits are what is putting me off from going for a 4!

I've heard from all over that people are having a hard time with enrollment. I have gotten a million calls for infants, but had an ad for around 3 months for 30 months and up and only had one interview and about 1 call!
I'm the same, I hope I can retire before they add more training hours. Lately most of my calls are for infants and I already have 3. One is full time and the other 2 share a week. I recently moved to a smaller house and I've only had 4 and it's been nice. I ask a couple of my parents if they ever heard of the star ratins and the only one who has ever heard of the star ratings works in a center. It's not something I'm willing to spend my free time on if it's not going to benefit me by increasing my enrollment. I know I'm very selfish with my free time.
Annalee 06:38 AM 01-17-2014
I'm the same, I hope I can retire before they add more training hours. Lately most of my calls are for infants and I already have 3. One is full time and the other 2 share a week. I recently moved to a smaller house and I've only had 4 and it's been nice. I ask a couple of my parents if they ever heard of the star ratins and the only one who has ever heard of the star ratings works in a center. It's not something I'm willing to spend my free time on if it's not going to benefit me by increasing my enrollment. I know I'm very selfish with my free time.
I agree with you, but I think it is coming for everyone at some time. When it first come, I was one of the positive ones telling others that WE CAN DO THIS! Those fires died quickly as good providers went underground or quit. Although scoring well, my program has had issues in the annual report that I KNOW are not true. Assessors allow their perception of the book (which I have been trained on, went on mock assessments with anchors, etc) to be very inconsistent. I trust the anchors, they know the book, but assessors are too authoritative. Yes, I have expressed this with many other providers to legislators, and other powers that be, but to no avail.
rebekki78 07:26 AM 01-17-2014
I am in Michigan as well and have not done the star rating. I looked into it, but it seems it would require, like one other said, a lot of my free time. I don't think the benefit would outweigh the time spent on the accomplishment. I understand the state wants to "better" the environment that the children are in, perhaps maybe they should give a psychological evaluation before handing over a license (Wait, don't give them any ideas.) With infants around it's not like I can run a pre school. We do a lot of learning based curriculum but it is isn't on a perfect set schedule. We do a lot of crafts since I am a naturally crafty person. I agree that I don't think that parents would even mind either way, if I had ratings or if I didn't.
melilley 11:38 AM 01-17-2014
Originally Posted by rebekki78:
I am in Michigan as well and have not done the star rating. I looked into it, but it seems it would require, like one other said, a lot of my free time. I don't think the benefit would outweigh the time spent on the accomplishment. I understand the state wants to "better" the environment that the children are in, perhaps maybe they should give a psychological evaluation before handing over a license (Wait, don't give them any ideas.) With infants around it's not like I can run a pre school. We do a lot of learning based curriculum but it is isn't on a perfect set schedule. We do a lot of crafts since I am a naturally crafty person. I agree that I don't think that parents would even mind either way, if I had ratings or if I didn't.
It does take a little of your free time, but honestly I just had to upload things that I already had. Well, I did have to write 2 different plans, but it was really easy.

You can very easily get 1 star just by checking off the Environment indicator-which licensing makes you do anyways, so that's done. If you are in the Food Program, you can check off another.

Some of it is preschool based, BUT there are ways around that! You can do a Thematic Curriculum and that counts. I just found this out. There are so many things on the assessment that seem really difficult, but really aren't, there are some ways around things, but of course unless you talk to someone, they don't tell you that. And if you want a 4 and above, someone has to come out to observe your program, which I don't think I'm willing to do.

They did say that it will be mandatory to participate, in the future. But I do agree that parents don't really know about it so it's not really worth doing it right now!
MyKzooFamily 12:02 PM 01-17-2014
I am newly licensed in MI and have not heard of this yet.

Here is a question - I am about to drop out of my online classes because they were just taking up time for a career I had no interest in (business finance). I am interested in doing child care full time, long term, as I homeschool my kiddos.

Do college courses count as training for the year? And I'm assuming that once I got to 60 credits it would go towards that 5 star rating? (after doing the home visits, ICK).
melilley 12:11 PM 01-17-2014
Originally Posted by MyKzooFamily:
I am newly licensed in MI and have not heard of this yet.

Here is a question - I am about to drop out of my online classes because they were just taking up time for a career I had no interest in (business finance). I am interested in doing child care full time, long term, as I homeschool my kiddos.

Do college courses count as training for the year? And I'm assuming that once I got to 60 credits it would go towards that 5 star rating? (after doing the home visits, ICK).
Go to http://greatstartconnect.org/ If you are licensed you can sign in and start your SAS, it will tell you what you need to have for the STAR requirements. You don't have to submit for a rating all at once.

See if you can find some info there.

I have my AS in child development and I don't think I could ever get a 5! There are so many things they want you to do to achieve that rating and it's just not obtainable for me. A 4 you could definitely get! But for a 5 you basically have to have a bachelors, take 20 hours of training a year, there is a ton of stuff!

I think you can use a lot of the college courses for training hours, I would make sure though. I take a lot through the OYC. They should send you info on courses. You can also see and sign up for classes on that website that I gave you above. You can type in your county and it will show classes. I know the Kent area OYC or 4 c (I forget what it's called) has a lot of classes you can take.
melilley 12:11 PM 01-17-2014
Oh and the Office of Great Start will more than likely be calling you in the near future, just a heads up!
wabbittrouble 12:23 PM 01-18-2014
I am in Michigan - at first I thought "Oh, this seems fine" and I filled out the assessment. They didn't like the pre-school program I had (Mother Goosetime) so they disqualified that. There were a lot of things they wanted me to do - home visits, extra training, "plans" they wanted written out, etc. that I thought were a giant waste of my time because if I didn't have a CDA degree I wasn't able to get many starts anyway. I felt that they were trying to funnel all the kids into centers and skewed the results to make home daycare look bad so I decided I was not going to participate. If parents wanted their children to go to a center then they wouldn't have them in my home daycare. They have them in a home daycare for a reason - and it's not because we have all sorts of "written plans" and stuff that look great on paper but that don't really mean a whole lot in real life. I've had my licensed daycare for 20 years and I'll stop before I am required to jump through a bunch of hoops that mean nothing.
Maria2013 03:12 PM 01-18-2014
How many of the MI providers are doing the star ratings? I got a call from Great Start and they want me to up my star rating to improve my referrals. I have never in 18 years of doing care gotten a call from someone through Great Start. I live in a small town where I have been all my life and all my daycare clients are word of mouth or they already know me. I don't think it would be time well spent for me.
I was thinking about doing the stars, not just to get "the stars" but to get an idea on how good of a setting and program I really offer
..so I went on the site and started filling in forms but I soon realized that the questions and options on those forms, seemed more for centers than in home daycare and I would have had to leave too many blanks (unanswered questions) even though my program does offer i.e. a full curriculum...I also heard they tell you what to and how to teach and you have to write everything down sorry, do not need to "document" kids as if they were lab rats

nothing against those providers that do follow the program but, personally I'm frustrated over how they seem to be pushing this program as if no one could actually offer great childcare unless they follow this star program
Maria2013 03:27 PM 01-18-2014
Originally Posted by wabbittrouble:
If parents wanted their children to go to a center then they wouldn't have them in my home daycare. They have them in a home daycare for a reason - and it's not because we have all sorts of "written plans" and stuff that look great on paper but that don't really mean a whole lot in real life.
Amen
Annalee 06:35 PM 01-18-2014
If parents wanted their children to go to a center then they wouldn't have them in my home daycare. They have them in a home daycare for a reason - and it's not because we have all sorts of "written plans" and stuff that look great on paper but that don't really mean a whole lot in real life. I've had my licensed daycare for 20 years and I'll stop before I am required to jump through a bunch of hoops that mean nothing.
That's what I and lots of providers said and actually did in 2002 when all this "hoopla" started in my state through lawmakers (I had been in business since 1992), but here I still am. I had to re-evaluate why I was doing child care and did I REALLY want to give it up? Afterall, my degree would put me in the school system and I would still get to be with kids BUT the core standards are there now, so it is getting more stringent by the day for teachers/assistants/kids. SO I am glad I decided to "roll with it" and 12 plus years later, despite the drastic changes, HERE I AM!!!!! Not happy with the QRIS, but I am still my own boss in a job I do love. I have just had to become more "crafty" meeting expectations and still keeping a little of what worked back then and is still beneficial for the children now.
melilley 06:29 AM 01-19-2014
Originally Posted by Maria2013:
I was thinking about doing the stars, not just to get "the stars" but to get an idea on how good of a setting and program I really offer
..so I went on the site and started filling in forms but I soon realized that the questions and options on those forms, seemed more for centers than in home daycare and I would have had to leave too many blanks (unanswered questions) even though my program does offer i.e. a full curriculum...I also heard they tell you what to and how to teach and you have to write everything down sorry, do not need to "document" kids as if they were lab rats

nothing against those providers that do follow the program but, personally I'm frustrated over how they seem to be pushing this program as if no one could actually offer great childcare unless they follow this star program

There is a long list of approved curriculum. But if you're not using one of them and have invested a lot of money into one, it stinks! But, you can even do a Thematic curriculum and that's basically free and it counts.

The only thing they want you to write down is your lesson plans and the documentation of the children are observations you make of the children. Like say Johnny said "ball" for the first time, you just write it down. Pretty easy.

But I do agree, the STARS program does make it seem like us fccers should be like a center and that is the #1 problem that I have with the program. I do see the point that there are some home providers who will just sit the kids in front of a tv or computer all day and don't do anything else with the kids and they want to make sure even home providers are providing a learning environment, but for early childcare, I don't think the way or how they want us to "teach" is right for everyone.
Maria2013 08:25 AM 01-19-2014
There is a long list of approved curriculum. But if you're not using one of them and have invested a lot of money into one, it stinks! But, you can even do a Thematic curriculum and that's basically free and it counts.

The only thing they want you to write down is your lesson plans and the documentation of the children are observations you make of the children. Like say Johnny said "ball" for the first time, you just write it down. Pretty easy.

But I do agree, the STARS program does make it seem like us fccers should be like a center and that is the #1 problem that I have with the program. I do see the point that there are some home providers who will just sit the kids in front of a tv or computer all day and don't do anything else with the kids and they want to make sure even home providers are providing a learning environment, but for early childcare, I don't think the way or how they want us to "teach" is right for everyone.
my curriculum is made up of a bunch of different curriculum, (I like to pick and choose) it doesn't say anywhere on the rules and regulations book they gave me, that I'm expected to follow any sort of curriculum, so long as I engage the children in educational age appropriate activities, and I do!... and so do most of the providers on here, so why forcing their control over how we do things in our own home when they could easily contact the parents we work for and ask them what their kids are learning, or stop by and talk to the kids?

..and it might not be a big deal to some, but IMHO "documenting" the children has no place in a home daycare.
melilley 10:54 AM 01-19-2014
Originally Posted by Maria2013:
my curriculum is made up of a bunch of different curriculum, (I like to pick and choose) it doesn't say anywhere on the rules and regulations book they gave me, that I'm expected to follow any sort of curriculum, so long as I engage the children in educational age appropriate activities, and I do!... and so do most of the providers on here, so why forcing their control over how we do things in our own home when they could easily contact the parents we work for and ask them what their kids are learning, or stop by and talk to the kids?

..and it might not be a big deal to some, but IMHO "documenting" the children has no place in a home daycare.
I didn't mean to offend, I was just saying that some of the QRIS requirements seem like they are hard to check off, but there are ways around them and stuff you already do, but the way it's set up it looks like something you aren't doing. For instance, I said you can do a thematic curriculum. That's where you can pick a theme and "teach" off of that, which many of us providers already do-they don't tell you that. It's not a book and you don't have to buy it, it's from what you choose to do. I took a class through the OYC and learned it from there.

And the documenting part, I do it sometimes anyways because I have a really bad memory..lol and sometimes the kids do or say something and I want to tell the parents so I write it down and it counts towards a point for documenting.

I am not for or against the program, but in reality in the future, it's going to be a requirement here to be licensed and I personally wanted to get a start, plus I already did most of the stuff-(the unrelated center type stuff-which I don't agree with). I don't care if providers choose to participate or not, it doesn't make anyone more or less of a provider.
Maria2013 11:07 AM 01-19-2014
you didn't offend me one bit

and I wouldn't be as upset with this program as I am, if they weren't trying to take away the provider's right to choose whether to be a part of it or not....we pay taxes as if we were self employed, but are we really?

I really did not like what I read about this program, perhaps they should be more clear

I apologies if I came across harsh, sure wasn't directed at you
Lucy 12:44 PM 01-19-2014
I'm not in MI, but I so agree with you here. I see ZERO benefit for me to earn their stupid stars. It's why I picked my avatar. I'm destined to be a 1 star provider. (It's funny that you have the same avatar!)

I have never gotten ONE referral through them. Sometimes, when they call for updates, I let it go to voicemail and never return their call. I really don't need my R&R, and wouldn't even be licensed if it were legal in my area to be unlicensed.

I hate how they're sticking their noses more and more into OUR business. Government intervention at its worst. Sadly, that's the way our country is going.
Annalee 01:33 PM 01-19-2014
I didn't mean to offend, I was just saying that some of the QRIS requirements seem like they are hard to check off, but there are ways around them and stuff you already do, but the way it's set up it looks like something you aren't doing. For instance, I said you can do a thematic curriculum. That's where you can pick a theme and "teach" off of that, which many of us providers already do-they don't tell you that. It's not a book and you don't have to buy it, it's from what you choose to do. I took a class through the OYC and learned it from there.

And the documenting part, I do it sometimes anyways because I have a really bad memory..lol and sometimes the kids do or say something and I want to tell the parents so I write it down and it counts towards a point for documenting.

I am not for or against the program, but in reality in the future, it's going to be a requirement here to be licensed and I personally wanted to get a start, plus I already did most of the stuff-(the unrelated center type stuff-which I don't agree with). I don't care if providers choose to participate or not, it doesn't make anyone more or less of a provider.
I agree, there are ways around some areas of FCCERS-revised which is what my state uses...Curriculum here can be a thematic calendar providers come up with on their own. The FCCERS-R tool is overwhelming at first and almost makes providers feel like they are setting themselves up to FAIL. BUT there are areas that are not attainable and are VERY unrealistic, just to put it nicely. Certain items MUST be viewed during the assessment, which causes providers to run around all day making sure we do what assessors need to see....very stressful. I have completed the assessment annually for over 10 years now per the state mandate but it NEVER gets easy and I NEVER know how I did when the assessor leaves....
melilley 03:02 PM 01-19-2014
I agree, there are ways around some areas of FCCERS-revised which is what my state uses...Curriculum here can be a thematic calendar providers come up with on their own. The FCCERS-R tool is overwhelming at first and almost makes providers feel like they are setting themselves up to FAIL. BUT there are areas that are not attainable and are VERY unrealistic, just to put it nicely. Certain items MUST be viewed during the assessment, which causes providers to run around all day making sure we do what assessors need to see....very stressful. I have completed the assessment annually for over 10 years now per the state mandate but it NEVER gets easy and I NEVER know how I did when the assessor leaves....
That sounds so nerve racking! I am only a 3 and to get a 4, assessors have to come out so I'm on the fence as to whether or not I want to proceed (more on the no side). It started as a personal goal to get the highest rating, but as I went through it, some of the goals are unattainable so I'm happy where I am at.

I had no idea that there were such variations on what the different states are doing for the program! Here it seems pretty easy (to get a 3 at least), but where you live, it sounds like a nightmare!
Annalee 03:05 PM 01-19-2014
That sounds so nerve racking! I am only a 3 and to get a 4, assessors have to come out so I'm on the fence as to whether or not I want to proceed (more on the no side). It started as a personal goal to get the highest rating, but as I went through it, some of the goals are unattainable so I'm happy where I am at.

I had no idea that there were such variations on what the different states are doing for the program! Here it seems pretty easy (to get a 3 at least), but where you live, it sounds like a nightmare!
We only go up to 3 stars...but it is mandated to be assessed....I wish our system was voluntary so I could choose not to be assessed.
rebekki78 09:40 AM 01-31-2014
It does take a little of your free time, but honestly I just had to upload things that I already had. Well, I did have to write 2 different plans, but it was really easy.

You can very easily get 1 star just by checking off the Environment indicator-which licensing makes you do anyways, so that's done. If you are in the Food Program, you can check off another.

Some of it is preschool based, BUT there are ways around that! You can do a Thematic Curriculum and that counts. I just found this out. There are so many things on the assessment that seem really difficult, but really aren't, there are some ways around things, but of course unless you talk to someone, they don't tell you that. And if you want a 4 and above, someone has to come out to observe your program, which I don't think I'm willing to do.

They did say that it will be mandatory to participate, in the future. But I do agree that parents don't really know about it so it's not really worth doing it right now!
Thanks for a clearer picture Maybe in time I can look into it more. I started looking into it and it was a lot of language that I didn't quite understand. I don't really abide by a certain curriculum. I teach the kids with the curriculum we use each Sunday in church and pass it along to the kids in my care. All other worksheets and things for mathematics, shapes, writing, reading, etc, I either print off on line or buy the books from the store and do a few pages each day.
rebekki78 09:43 AM 01-31-2014
If parents wanted their children to go to a center then they wouldn't have them in my home daycare. They have them in a home daycare for a reason - and it's not because we have all sorts of "written plans" and stuff that look great on paper but that don't really mean a whole lot in real life.

rebekki78 09:48 AM 01-31-2014
I do see the point that there are some home providers who will just sit the kids in front of a tv or computer all day and don't do anything else with the kids and they want to make sure even home providers are providing a learning environment, but for early childcare, I don't think the way or how they want us to "teach" is right for everyone.
This is the number one complaint I get from parents who call to see if I have openings. Parents don't want their kids to sit in front of the tv all day. I get that and as a parent I understand that. And I agree with your last statement as well. Each child and situation requires a different way of going about things. I have a set schedule written down but when it comes right down to it, because it is just me and the kids, and with age variance, I would say I don't follow my own schedule more often then I do. If I had just one age group at a time I think this would be easier to accomplish.
melilley 10:26 AM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by rebekki78:
Thanks for a clearer picture Maybe in time I can look into it more. I started looking into it and it was a lot of language that I didn't quite understand. I don't really abide by a certain curriculum. I teach the kids with the curriculum we use each Sunday in church and pass it along to the kids in my care. All other worksheets and things for mathematics, shapes, writing, reading, etc, I either print off on line or buy the books from the store and do a few pages each day.
The language is very confusing! They keep changing and clarifying things because so many providers had no clue what they are talking about or how to go about getting a point for a certain area. I just found out about a few points that could have, but I had no idea. One of the indicators is to have a certified early childhood professional working with your program (I forget what they call it, but something similar) and my consultant from OYC said that since I talk to her, I could count it and get a point---I had no clue I could do that!

It's funny, since this thread started, I have changed my views on the star program. While I do have a 3, I am no longer even trying for a 4, I'm happy at that 3 rating. The consultant said I only need 8 more points..only? No thanks, I'm not even interested in doing anything that they want, to get those points. Don't get me wrong, I'm proud to have the 3 stars, but not beating myself up to get more.
Naptime yet? 11:05 AM 01-31-2014
My question is, does going to your dcp's house for dinner count as a home visit?

What are you supposed to do for a home visit? And why would anyone want to go to their dck's house, except to see how it's decorated? I don't get why this would be mandated (this is also happening here in MD, I know there's another thread going about STARS, but this really kills me).
melilley 11:12 AM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by Naptime yet?:
My question is, does going to your dcp's house for dinner count as a home visit?

What are you supposed to do for a home visit? And why would anyone want to go to their dck's house, except to see how it's decorated? I don't get why this would be mandated (this is also happening here in MD, I know there's another thread going about STARS, but this really kills me).
I'm a FCC so we don't have to do home visits and am glad for that!

I know here, our Headstart program does home visits, but they are federally and locally funded and have guidelines. I think it's out of line to ask fcc's, or even centers to do this. Isn't that what conferences are for? Sorry thinking out loud...lol
Naptime yet? 12:11 PM 01-31-2014
I think I misread MD's standards, for some reason I thought everyone was required to do home visits, which would be weird. Thanks for clarifying that for me! Although an evil part of me would love to show up at a dcp's house with a clipboard in hand & go through their house like licensing goes through mine...
Tags:michigan member, star program
Reply Up