Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Thinking About Opening Childcare & Pre-k
learningladder 03:51 PM 11-08-2009
Hi! I am so glad that I have found this site! I have about 8 years experience in the childcare & preK field. I worked all throughout college in the early childhood field and then after college I had my own for about a year and I think I made about every mistake in the book-parents walked all over me, staff was a headache, my family took advantage of me, spent way too much money on supplies, etc. I got out of it and found a job with what I had went to school for. Two years later I have the itch to try the childcare and preschool idea again. Am I crazy? I've always known that I have loved children but over the past couple of years I've been able to do some soul searching and I really think this is what I am meant to be doing. I love kids and its for me.

With that being said I don't want to make the same mistakes that I made the last time around. I had a seperate site outside of the home and I think this time around I will be doing it in my home. I also kept children ages 0-5 years last time. I thought that this time I would keep children ages 2-5 years. Does anyone else do this? If so, have you found it difficult not to take any infants? I'm also needing some help on employees. I know that right off of the bat I wouldn't need any emplyees until I got a decent amount of kids. I live in IN and you can have 5 without a license and one person (I will be applying for the license). 12 kids is the max number you can have in your first year. I would defiently need to hire help. I was thinking maybe a full-time person to work 9-5 with a one hour lunch break and a part-time person to work 1:30-5:30 and then I will of course be working as well. If you don't maind sharing-how do you all schedule your staff and how many helpers do you have? What hours do you yourself work? One of my concerns is not being able to take a day off or what if I get sick and can't work a day. How do you handle this?

Has anyone been pregnant while running their daycare? How did you handle maternity leave? My husband and I are thinking about trying to have a baby here soon. I don't know if it would be better to wait and get the daycare up and running first or wait till after we have a baby? I'm sorry -I know I have a lot of questions-I'm just trying to figure this all out Thanks!!
Michael 02:29 PM 11-09-2009
Welcome and thank you for registering. There are several post regarding your topic. Here is one. https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...light=pregnant

Suggest you also use our search link for more posts and information. https://www.daycare.com/forum/search.php
Tags:open a daycare, pre-k
Reply Up