Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>WOW Really?
DaycareMomma 11:48 AM 11-17-2011
I just had a call from someone for daycare. They only needed like 6 hours a week so I told them I would do drop in and I told her my rates. She accepted. Phone conversation ended. Two minutes later, the mother of that girl calls me and CHEWED MY BUTT up one wall and down the other about my rates and how they were ridiculous. She swore at me and called me nasty names... I was very calm and explained that is what my rates are. She continued to yell at me... I'm shaking so bad! The nerve of some people I tell ya!
laundrymom 11:50 AM 11-17-2011
" I'm sorry you feel that way, good luck with your search"

Click.
SimpleMom 11:52 AM 11-17-2011
Whoa! Agreed, short statement and *click*. That's not something you want to deal with anyway.
jennajury 11:57 AM 11-17-2011
Wow some people are so rediculous! I agree you don't want to deal with her! If she doesn't like your rates she can find someone else, lol the nerve of some people!
TBird 12:03 PM 11-17-2011
Drop-in care is traditionally more expensive than full time care. Good luck with your search B*OTCH...you're gonna need it!!! CLICK!!!
sharlan 12:04 PM 11-17-2011
WOW! If the girl didn't like your rates, she should have just moved on.
cheerfuldom 12:06 PM 11-17-2011
omg! can you imagine just randomly cussing out someone??? what the heck??? I don't know what people are thinking. I never swear period and can't imagine someone feeling comfortable just berating a stranger.
nannyde 12:19 PM 11-17-2011
I've had that happen quite a few times over the years.

I've learned to just agree with them.

Mom: "Your rates are REDICULOUS!!!!!"
Me: "I know.. if I were you I wouldn't pay them"
wdmmom 12:30 PM 11-17-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I've had that happen quite a few times over the years.

I've learned to just agree with them.

Mom: "Your rates are REDICULOUS!!!!!"
Me: "I know.. if I were you I wouldn't pay them"

"I'm sorry you feel that way. On the bright side, it's up to you to decide if you want to pay them!"
DaycareMomma 01:21 PM 11-17-2011
It got BETTER! The daughter texted me telling me I was being a b*tch and that she knows I'd have discrimiated against her child because of his race. I got a good chuckle out of that one!

I've never met the people before so I have no idea what the child looks like.

Talk about an event that makes you shake your head....

I'm very proud of myself for not firing back when she swore at me. Usually I am level headed until I am unjustly swore at!
Kaddidle Care 01:27 PM 11-17-2011
Must be Psycho Season.

Block all calls and texts from that family or simply tell them do stop or face harrassment charges. That usually stops them in their tracks.
sharlan 01:46 PM 11-17-2011
I have to ask, were you charging $50 an hour or what?

I would definitely block all communication from them.
Blackcat31 01:51 PM 11-17-2011
If you have the phone number, you should call her back and tell her you have decided to raise your rates even higher so that you can filter out rude clients.

Just make sure you call at 2 a.m.
nannyde 01:54 PM 11-17-2011
Originally Posted by DaycareMomma:
It got BETTER! The daughter texted me telling me I was being a b*tch and that she knows I'd have discrimiated against her child because of his race. I got a good chuckle out of that one!

I'm very proud of myself for not firing back when she swore at me. Usually I am level headed until I am unjustly swore at!
You have gotten a nice taste of what it is like to tell the entitlement generation "no". They don't like it very much.
Cat Herder 01:57 PM 11-17-2011
Is this in Minnesota.....
DaycareMomma 02:13 PM 11-17-2011
My drop in rates are $30/day. I am right on with what everyone else is charging in my town, give or take $5.
DaycareMama 02:14 PM 11-17-2011
It really must be in the air. I just had a person go off on me for not taking her family who went to school outside my district. The kids needed busing and I don't transport. What do they expect?? Maybe I should of offered to fly them on my broom
mismatchedsocks 02:16 PM 11-17-2011
What i find weird is she didnt bat an eye until she hung up then called you back.

Text back this. I do this when people ( like my ex ) think they can text me whenever they want.

"Message failed. User blocked."
nannyde 02:33 PM 11-17-2011

You should text her back and say "Oh I didn't realize your child was a minority. I give a free scholarship each year for a minority child. I know you wouldn't consider taking that slot but I thank you for reminding me to *always* ask before I give the rate. My last minority scholarship child is leaving in a couple of weeks and I need to get busy finding just the right child. Take care and good luck finding just the right provider."
sharlan 02:40 PM 11-17-2011
My drop in rates are $30/day. I am right on with what everyone else is charging in my town, give or take $5.
$30 a day for 6 hrs sounds right.

$30 a day for 1 1/2 hrs x 4 days would be outrageous.

Sounds like you dodged the bullet with this family.
Blackcat31 02:54 PM 11-17-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Is this in Minnesota.....
You got a problem with Minnesotans??? LOL!!
DaycareMomma 03:37 PM 11-17-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I don't think problem is the word, I think jealous is

Huge bullet dodged with this family.

I would have loved to have said "You should probably tell my other family that is a minority that I descriminate, I'm sure they would be glad to know that." But I didn't. I bit my own lip and that is VERY hard for me to do sometimes!
momofsix 03:49 PM 11-17-2011
You should text her back and say "Oh I didn't realize your child was a minority. I give a free scholarship each year for a minority child. I know you wouldn't consider taking that slot but I thank you for reminding me to *always* ask before I give the rate. My last minority scholarship child is leaving in a couple of weeks and I need to get busy finding just the right child. Take care and good luck finding just the right provider."

I'd love to see her face if she heard this one from you!@
DaycareMomma 05:52 PM 11-17-2011

Dangit! That would have been PERFECT!

Thanks everyone for cheering me up. I wasn't really down as I was floored that there are seriously people like that in our small town....
Lucy 07:54 PM 11-17-2011
Originally Posted by lilrugrats:
What i find weird is she didnt bat an eye until she hung up then called you back.

Text back this. I do this when people ( like my ex ) think they can text me whenever they want.

"Message failed. User blocked."
this. I'm totally gonna steal it!!
mommiesherie 08:33 PM 11-17-2011
Originally Posted by Joyce:
this. I'm totally gonna steal it!!
Same here I'm using that one also. I am proud of you. I would have had a hard time not saying my kids all leave around 6 if you wanna come by we can sure discuss this if you think you are woman enough. Haha. Then I would have probably gotten my hiney kicked. Lol. I'm amazed at how dysfunctional some people are!!!! For so long I have lived in my little bubble and had no idea! I still pretty much do live in my little bubble. Lol. Think I will stay here too.
flightlessbird11 05:34 AM 11-18-2011
Definitely dodged a bullet with this family. It amazes me how so many parents feel that they are in any position to negotiate or argue providers prices or policies. It's like, if you do t like it....move on. Not rocket science, parents!
Cat Herder 05:39 AM 11-18-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Nah.... Just a smart-alecy reference to the "craigs list warfare" thread....
Blackcat31 06:44 AM 11-18-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Nah.... Just a smart-alecy reference to the "craigs list warfare" thread....
I figured, but had to laugh because I think the OP is from MN! LOL!
dave4him 01:41 PM 11-18-2011
knows I'd have discrimiated against her child because of his race. at!
Wow. Reminds me of several calls i used to take at the cable company. People would call in and complain we were racist.... funny i dont remember filling out a race\ethic point on the application for cable..... sorry you had to deal with that
nannyde 02:09 PM 11-18-2011
Originally Posted by flightlessbird11:
Definitely dodged a bullet with this family. It amazes me how so many parents feel that they are in any position to negotiate or argue providers prices or policies. It's like, if you do t like it....move on. Not rocket science, parents!
It's because there is a prevailng belief that we are their workers before they even meet us. We are women.. we care for children... we are to DO and do as we are told. When they meet up with the provider who says no to that they don't take it well.

It's a blessing though because it weeds out the ones who come into the relationship with an entitlement and expectation that results in a poor business relationship.
dave4him 02:15 PM 11-18-2011
Its better then finding out after they are enrolled, getting that kind of behavior out ahead of time makes it easier.
Preschool/daycare teacher 04:46 PM 11-19-2011
$30 for 6 hours equals out to only $5 an hour and drop in rates are always higher than full time... She won't find a babysitter who charges $5/hr or less. Daycare is cheaper than a babysitter (if you can find a provider who does drop-ins like that). When she starts looking for another provider, and finds their rates to be the same or more than yours are, she'll be wishing she hadn't cussed you out!
Tags:drop in care, drop in rates, entitlement, parent - unrealistic expectations
Reply Up