Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Advice Needed Please
Valerie928 12:54 PM 06-25-2020
Back in March when the chaos began with the virus I went down to providing part time care. Families were fine with this understandably. Except the one family that doesn't like being parents. They have 1 child that I look after, 2 yr old girl. When I told them I would only watch dcg 2 days per week they were not happy. EVEN THOUGH, dad was basically not working and mom was working from home. I honestly did not care that they were put off by this because PANDEMIC. Mom especially has been standoffish ever since. Fast forward to now where my state is pretty stable with the number of infections ect. The other day I text dcm mom and tell her I will now add dcg on another day if she'd like. I got no response. I know she got my text. I really don't feel like asking again when I know she is just acting stupid about the question because she is mad I cut back care 3 months ago. Do I just assume she does not want the extra day? This is so immature. Why can't she just answer me? And dad drops off and picks up so I never see mom.
Unregistered 01:49 PM 06-25-2020
I would wait in person with dad or respond and send a morning text (to provide ample time) "checking in. I have someone in need of care and I need to know if I have a space. Let me know tomorrow morning"
Yes, she may have received the text but who knows the reason she did not respond you can only assume. She forgot, she was busy, she did not have an answer.
Valerie928 02:00 PM 06-25-2020
Found out from dad that they are looking into daycare center for dcg. He said they aren't sure though because at first there were just a few kids in the daycare, now there are more.... I swear I don't know why I bother🤪. Like, did they think no other kids were going to enroll? I said if they choose a daycare center, she can't come to my home care anymore. The germs she will bring in my home from day care center will ruin lives.

Now what to say to them? I want to tell them I need to know in 2 weeks weather she will be leaving as I will need to bring in a new daycare child. What would you say?
Snowmom 05:56 PM 06-25-2020
Originally Posted by Valerie928:
Found out from dad that they are looking into daycare center for dcg. He said they aren't sure though because at first there were just a few kids in the daycare, now there are more.... I swear I don't know why I bother🤪. Like, did they think no other kids were going to enroll? I said if they choose a daycare center, she can't come to my home care anymore. The germs she will bring in my home from day care center will ruin lives.

Now what to say to them? I want to tell them I need to know in 2 weeks weather she will be leaving as I will need to bring in a new daycare child. What would you say?
Honestly, I'd just give them notice now.
I refuse to be on edge with families. Communication is essential and it sounds like they don't feel the same.
Cat Herder 04:22 AM 06-26-2020
They need full-time care, you don't offer it, they need to go find other care. Pretty cut and dry to me.

I'd wish them good luck on their search and refer them to the States daycare listing site.
Valerie928 05:18 AM 06-26-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
They need full-time care, you don't offer it, they need to go find other care. Pretty cut and dry to me.

I'd wish them good luck on their search and refer them to the States daycare listing site.
I told dad this morning that he and mom have 2 weeks to let me know what they decide because I would need to fill the spot. I got a text from him a half hour later saying they are taking my 3 day a week offer. They probably never really looked into a daycare center. They do not need full time care, they want full time care because they want time for themselves. Ugh......I am tired this morning. Happy Friday 😁
Blackcat31 06:10 AM 06-26-2020
Originally Posted by Valerie928:
Back in March when the chaos began with the virus I went down to providing part time care. Families were fine with this understandably. Except the one family that doesn't like being parents. They have 1 child that I look after, 2 yr old girl. When I told them I would only watch dcg 2 days per week they were not happy. EVEN THOUGH, dad was basically not working and mom was working from home. I honestly did not care that they were put off by this because PANDEMIC. Mom especially has been standoffish ever since. Fast forward to now where my state is pretty stable with the number of infections ect. The other day I text dcm mom and tell her I will now add dcg on another day if she'd like. I got no response. I know she got my text. I really don't feel like asking again when I know she is just acting stupid about the question because she is mad I cut back care 3 months ago. Do I just assume she does not want the extra day? This is so immature. Why can't she just answer me? And dad drops off and picks up so I never see mom.
I know the issue is solved now but in the future when you send a text to a parent with an offer or something you are asking about TELL them when they must reply.

For example when you sent the offer of adding a day to her 2 day a week schedule you could end the text with "Please let me know by Friday or the offer will no longer be available. Thank you! "

That way they know they HAVE to tell you and you know if they don't that you need to move on to your next option.

Waiting for a daycare parent to respond sometimes is like teaching calculus to your dog.
Unregistered 11:02 PM 06-28-2020
I agree-always be sure to include a timeframe for families to respond. It is not respectful to your time if they feel they don't need to tell you u til it is convenient for them.

I ran centers and had to do that-if they communicated with me I could change deadlines but I always did that so I could move on and tell them that if they came back later and have something to back me up.
I am sure as an in-home provider I will need to do that.
Tags:bad fit, part time care
Reply Up