Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Babies & Sharing
Unregistered 11:02 AM 08-25-2017
Hello!

I've only been open for one month and I have three babies in my care, all under one year old. The babies seem to want whatever toy the next baby picks up and plays with. I understand that this is normal. Is it too early, developmentally, to be working on th concept of sharing? I hate seeing them get frustrated taking toys from each other. They do it all day long. If I see it about to happen, I intervene and try to redirect the current toy thief to something else, which doesn't always work and leads to a meltdown.. Am I wasting my time right now? Should I let them work it out? If not, what are some techniques I could use to help my babies understand? Thank you!
Cat Herder 11:28 AM 08-25-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hello!

what are some techniques I could use
Having several of each infant and toddler toy (birth-3) so everyone can play at the same time.
LysesKids 11:30 AM 08-25-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Having several of each infant and toddler toy (birth-3) so everyone can play at the same time.
THIS is what I do... I have 4 infants
Cat Herder 11:36 AM 08-25-2017
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
THIS is what I do... I have 4 infants
All dishwasher, bath tub soak or washing machine safe, too. I toy shop purposefully.
Unregistered 11:40 AM 08-25-2017
I have multiples of some toys. They still go after the one the baby next to them is holding...
Cat Herder 11:59 AM 08-25-2017
Have you tried dividing up your play space so each infant has their own safe play area?

I added a bunch of tags to other threads on this topic, but you must be a member to see them.
Unregistered 12:33 PM 08-25-2017
I haven't tried that but I'll give it a shot. Thank you!
Ariana 02:00 PM 08-25-2017
I find babies are happy if you just redirect their attention as well! "Look at this shiny object over here" and distract them away from the toy that was just stolen type of thing. Babies have very short attention spans thankfully!
LK5kids 06:06 PM 08-25-2017
Yes! It's too early to learn to share! It's even hard for two year olds!
Josiegirl 03:29 PM 08-26-2017
Originally Posted by LK5kids:
Yes! It's too early to learn to share! It's even hard for two year olds!
Hey, sometimes it's hard for adults too.
Indoorvoice 06:55 PM 08-26-2017
I don't intervene when it comes to sharing unless it gets physical and then I only block and verbalize what's going on between them. "you want the ball, but Susie isn't done with it yet. When Susie is done, you can use the ball. You can pick a different toy or sit on my lap and wait" For the most part, either one gives up the toy and finds something different, they figure out how to play with it together for a few seconds, or they abandon the toy altogether I know it sounds like a lot of talking for an under 1 year old, but the more I treat them like that, the more they understand.
Tags:dividers, environments, infant - behavior, infant and toddler care, infant play space, iters-r, supplies, toys - how many
Reply Up