Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>WWYD? New Licensing Rule Re Screen Time
Mom2Two 07:03 PM 12-20-2017
(6) Except for occasional special events, children's screen time on media such as television, cell phones, tablets, and computers shall:
(a) not be allowed for children 0 to 17 months old;
(b) be limited for children 18 months to 4 years old to 1 hour per day, or 5 hours per week with a maximum screen time of 2 hours per
activity; and
(c) be part of a media plan that addresses the needs of children 5 to 12 years old.

So, when I have a new child who is having a hard time with separation anxiety...I can no longer use some Elmo time to help them adjust. I just have to....not accept them????? Because I really don't want to hear them screaming for hours and hours.

When I feel like crud because I am sleep deprived or half sick...I can no longer put on a show and lie on the sofa, using the show to help keep kids easier to supervise. I have to give them less adequate supervision or CLOSE.

I can no longer put on a Youtube playlist as part of my homeschool child and pre-K children's educational plan...because a toddler or infant month old might see it?

My licensor said that she didn't think this would pass, but it did. She said that no one would be looking over my shoulder. They would just ask me in interview. But what do I say? What are my choices????

I am sooo mad. I don't have an assistant except a little bit in the Winter when DH isn't doing his 2nd job doing lawns. I help children who have a hard time adjusting. I have a GREAT program. What do they think I am? Some kind of Mary Poppins robot????? Do they think that parents can take MORE days off work when I'm not feeling great???? We don't get to watch a movie, because I follow licensing on letting infants and toddlers nap on their own schedule which means they NAP AT DIFFERENT TIMES?????

GRRRRRRR!
Mom2Two 07:17 PM 12-20-2017
Oh, and infant who likes to be held all the time? I hold him while I stand and check my email on my laptop, read on dc.c or facebook, read the news website etc. How stupid is this rule????
LysesKids 07:59 PM 12-20-2017
Originally Posted by Mom2Two:
(6) Except for occasional special events, children's screen time on media such as television, cell phones, tablets, and computers shall:
(a) not be allowed for children 0 to 17 months old;
(b) be limited for children 18 months to 4 years old to 1 hour per day, or 5 hours per week with a maximum screen time of 2 hours per
activity; and
(c) be part of a media plan that addresses the needs of children 5 to 12 years old.

So, when I have a new child who is having a hard time with separation anxiety...I can no longer use some Elmo time to help them adjust. I just have to....not accept them????? Because I really don't want to hear them screaming for hours and hours.

When I feel like crud because I am sleep deprived or half sick...I can no longer put on a show and lie on the sofa, using the show to help keep kids easier to supervise. I have to give them less adequate supervision or CLOSE.

I can no longer put on a Youtube playlist as part of my homeschool child and pre-K children's educational plan...because a toddler or infant month old might see it?

My licensor said that she didn't think this would pass, but it did. She said that no one would be looking over my shoulder. They would just ask me in interview. But what do I say? What are my choices????

I am sooo mad. I don't have an assistant except a little bit in the Winter when DH isn't doing his 2nd job doing lawns. I help children who have a hard time adjusting. I have a GREAT program. What do they think I am? Some kind of Mary Poppins robot????? Do they think that parents can take MORE days off work when I'm not feeling great???? We don't get to watch a movie, because I follow licensing on letting infants and toddlers nap on their own schedule which means they NAP AT DIFFERENT TIMES?????

GRRRRRRR!
I don't even have a TV, much less allow YouTube for my babes. That's been a state reg in just about every state I have ever done childcare. I tell parents, that their little won't get the same here as at home & they will be called if said older has a meltdown. Most mine are under 24 months, but I found it's the older babes/toddlers that have issues because parents don't want to deal and I have one aging out on Friday that thankfully I don't have hear, "please Grandma I want wheels on the bus"
racemom 08:34 PM 12-20-2017
I work in a small center, and we are completely screen free, and new kids just need time to adjust. None of the kids who have been here long term miss it. And yes, I go to work when I am not feeling well. In fact unless I am throwing up I am there and dealing with 6 toddlers all day, because if I am not there, someone has to come in on their day off to cover for me. Yes, there are moments/days I wish I could turn on a tv and let them be entertained, but I find other ways to keep them busy.
hwichlaz 08:40 PM 12-20-2017
Wouldn’t you being ill be a special occasion?
Mom2Two 09:01 PM 12-20-2017
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
Wouldn’t you being ill be a special occasion?
Good point.

And we actually are screen free as much as possible. In Summer especially, many weeks have zero screen time. My dcks like each other and prefer to be social with each other. And my own family is low-tech. We have no gaming system, no smart phones, not even a flat screen tv.

But I don't like how little discretion this new rule gives the providers. And by this rule...any provider who even was on their iphone internet while holding a baby would be breaking the rule.
Josiegirl 02:17 AM 12-21-2017
So do what your licensor suggested. No one is looking over your shoulder.
Unfortunately, we are being encouraged to fudge, which amounts to downright lying, when asked about certain things. So why the heck create all these rules if providers are being encouraged to fudge them??
DaveA 03:23 AM 12-21-2017
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
So do what your licensor suggested. No one is looking over your shoulder.
Unfortunately, we are being encouraged to fudge, which amounts to downright lying, when asked about certain things. So why the heck create all these rules if providers are being encouraged to fudge them??
Simple- the people making the rules haven't worked with children or feel the need to do "something" regardless of if it makes sense or not.

In my case I would ask what counts as screen time. We have a great children's music channel on our cable. I turn it on after lunch for naptime and leave it on the rest of the day. It's music and a couple dozen changing pictures (birds, toys, flowers, etc.) It gives me access to a lot of different music for the kids. Does that count as screen time? What about allowing school agers to use my computer to research for homework? Oye
Tags:federal regulations, new regulations, regulations, separation anxiety
Reply Up