Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What About Your Own Kids?
athomemommy 12:13 PM 05-03-2011
How did they adjust to the new setting? New routines? Kids in their house all day everyday. My 3 year old likes it but doesn't care for the new rules and routines. Thinks he should be able to do what he use to. He's the hardest part to my routines. Please help!!!!!
Zoe 12:14 PM 05-03-2011
He'll get used to it. My son was the same way, but once he saw that I wasn't just enforcing these rules with him, but with everyone, he got used to it. Plus I give them special things and cuddles after daycare, which is our special time, so it's really not a big deal here. Both my kids are part of my daycare, and they see it as a normal day.
nannyde 12:19 PM 05-03-2011
I had the child care before my son was born for seven years. When he was mobile I just safety proofed the majority of the first floor of my house and let him free range and do as he pleased. I gated off all the TV's and put hook locks at the top of the doors he couldn't go thru. I built a half wall and doorways to block off the kitchen... and hooked all the dressers and bookshelves into the walls.

I didn't ever supervise him like I have to supervise the day care kids. He bopped in and out of the day care as he pleased. Sometimes he played with them but mostly he did whatever he wanted to do within the safety of our home.

I never expected him to be a part of the day care. He has always had his own life here. He just enjoyed the good parts of it and stayed away from the parts that limited his ability to free range. I never offered him as a playmate when interviewing parents.

He has never had a meal with the day care kids. When he was an infant I had him on the complete opposite schedule of the kids... he was up when they slept and slept when they were up. Once he went down to one nap then he napped at the same time in his own room.

Can you let him have his own life there?
cheerfuldom 12:33 PM 05-03-2011
I sort of do a combo. My girls do have more freedom than the daycare kids because this is their home. They do come and go a bit more and there are a few rules that are different between them and the daycare kids. For example, my girls are allowed on the couch but the daycare kids aren't. I previously had every single rule basically for all the kids and that just drove me and my own girls crazy. This is their house, their mom, etc. so we do what works for us. If the DC parents see something different and they have a problem with it, I am prepared to defend that. My girls are the only ones allowed in their room and my room, stuff like that. I don't require them to be a part of an activity if they really don't want to do it and as long as they are not doing something disruptive in its place.
Christian Mother 12:41 PM 05-03-2011
I started my daycare when my youngest was 2yrs old and my oldest was already in school. He pretty much has free rain of the house and also can have friends over to play. He's much older then my younger daycare children and they really don't have problems with my 2 children having diff. foods or snacks. Pretty much everything we have here is for everyone. I believe in good nutrition so I don't allow my kids or daycare kids candy. Well unless we are potty training and then the daycare kids get a jelly bean or m&m for pooping in the toilet...that is all. Stickers for pee peeing. My kids adjusted just fine. There are times that when I am talking to a parent my son will try to get my attention or interrupt me and I am still working on getting him to wait patiently as I am with the little ones. But so far I haven't had any problems between my children and my daycare children. I think its all in how to handle each situation that arises. I don't make to much deal out of most however if I know its going to cause a problem then I won't allow it.
Evansmom 12:50 PM 05-03-2011
I also let my son have free range of the house. There are rooms like my bedroom that they other children are not allowed to go into that he does. I think it helps him to deal with having extra kids in the house all day if I let him have his space.

I don't require him to participate if he doesn't want to but eventually he usually comes around when he sees that we are having fun.

He's usually the harder kid here but that is only b/c he's my kid. He's at home and he's relaxed so there is no holding back you know? The other kids act up for their own parents too, but not me. I know that if I took my son to preschool he would be perfectly behaved for them as well. Kids just act up for their own parents.
MamaBear 12:53 PM 05-03-2011
My youngest son is 5 and has been around the daycare since a little baby. He has his ups & downs with it. Somedays he loves having kids here to play with and other days he absolutely hates it.

I dont make him go by the same rules as the daycare. He doesnt nap anymore and he just kinda does his own thing. He likes to do arts & crafts with all the kids, but when they (mostly all toddlers) are playing with the baby-type toys, he gets bored and goes upstairs to play video games or watch tv or whatever else he wants to do.

I dont think I could ever get him to do what the daycare kids do. Other people's kids seem to listen & obey me much better then my OWN kid! haha - Funny how that happens!
athomemommy 01:07 PM 05-03-2011
Okay so I should have stated this. They are all family and all the same age.. cousins not all mine .
daycare 01:11 PM 05-03-2011
i used to have this same issue and sometimes still do. my son is 3.5 and I said to myself one day..... My son did not ask for me to do daycare, I decided it. So to be fair, I let him decide. If he wants to join us great, if not that is ok too.

He has a play area that is in the front of the house where I can still see him at all times/ If he wants he can play there and the other kids have to stay in the dedicated DCR. if he brings those toys back to the DCR they become free play...

When I pulled back like this, he started to come around and join in more on the things that we do..

he love art, he hates singing...lol so I have learned when he will join us most of the time,.
Tags:provider children
Reply Up