Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Age Restrictions In Daycare
MARSTELAC 11:58 AM 02-21-2011
So I am permitted to care for children aged 6 months though 10 years. I am being totally blonde here....so once the child turns 11, I don't have to count them any longer and can add another school-aged child and keep the 11 year old? I have 2 that are almost 10 and I'm just wondering. Thanks for understanding that I am blonde and my energy is zapped today ag
lil angels 12:05 PM 02-21-2011
I think so, I am pretty sure you can hire them as helpers at that point. But I would double check with licensing before getting anyone else.
melskids 01:31 PM 02-21-2011
here, they age out at 12, actually the day before they turn 13. they can't be here after that. i have one mom freaking already, cause she doesnt want her 13 yr old home alone, and she's only 7 now!!! LOL and we cant hire any helpers under 18.
Little People 03:33 AM 02-22-2011
Originally Posted by MARSTELAC:
So I am permitted to care for children aged 6 months though 10 years. I am being totally blonde here....so once the child turns 11, I don't have to count them any longer and can add another school-aged child and keep the 11 year old? I have 2 that are almost 10 and I'm just wondering. Thanks for understanding that I am blonde and my energy is zapped today ag
This made me laugh I am blonde too and I love blonde jokes!!
daysofelijah 04:32 AM 02-22-2011
Yes that's how it works here in MN. Once they turn 11 they no longer count in your numbers. So you could add another school ager, when they turned 11 and still have them.
Unregistered 12:08 PM 02-22-2011
Sorry to lurk but does anyone know the MN guielines on a 5yr old NOT going to K next year? Will be 5 May 5th but not going to K next Fall. Do they count as a school ager this summer and in the Fall because they are age eligible or are they a preschooler until the summer before they actually attend K?
daycare 12:23 PM 02-22-2011
they are not considered a school ager if they are not enrolled in public school
Blackcat31 12:40 PM 02-22-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Sorry to lurk but does anyone know the MN guielines on a 5yr old NOT going to K next year? Will be 5 May 5th but not going to K next Fall. Do they count as a school ager this summer and in the Fall because they are age eligible or are they a preschooler until the summer before they actually attend K?
In MN a child is considered a school ager in your licensing capacity 4 months prior to them being legally allowed to go to school. So if a child can attend Kindergarten in the fall but is not going to attend they are school agers in your license regardless of whether they attend school or not. In your case you can begin counting your dck as a schooler on their birthday.

I had two boys last year who were 5 in May and June and neither went to Kindy and I had them all day so I legally had 12 children. (10 under school age and 2 schoolers) It was nice on the paycheck to be able to have two "extra" full day full time kids.

Originally Posted by daycare:
they are not considered a school ager if they are not enrolled in public school
Not in MN. Our licensing rules state that they are school age 4 months prior to being eligible to attend Kindergarten. So on May 1st anyone legally allowed to start in September are considered school age.
daycare 12:45 PM 02-22-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
In MN a child is considered a school ager in your licensing capacity 4 months prior to them being legally allowed to go to school. So if a child can attend Kindergarten in the fall but is not going to attend they are school agers in your license regardless of whether they attend school or not. In your case you can begin counting your dck as a schooler on their birthday.

I had two boys last year who were 5 in May and June and neither went to Kindy and I had them all day so I legally had 12 children. (10 under school age and 2 schoolers) It was nice on the paycheck to be able to have two "extra" full day full time kids.

Not in MN. Our licensing rules state that they are school age 4 months prior to being eligible to attend Kindergarten. So on May 1st anyone legally allowed to start in September are considered school age.
wow thats cool. the ca laws will change in 2012 and almost all of the DC kids missed the cut off due to october B-days so I will have them all one extra year and in CA they will NOT be considered school agers....booo..
TTOTS 01:27 PM 02-22-2011
Originally Posted by melskids:
here, they age out at 12, actually the day before they turn 13. they can't be here after that. i have one mom freaking already, cause she doesnt want her 13 yr old home alone, and she's only 7 now!!! LOL and we cant hire any helpers under 18.

Same here in Illinois
happykidschildcare 01:30 PM 02-22-2011
hmm I was able to hire on my daughter as my asst at age 15.
is that different in every state?
melskids 01:33 PM 02-22-2011
Originally Posted by happykidschildcare:
i'm sure it is. its 18 here.
daycare 01:37 PM 02-22-2011
Originally Posted by happykidschildcare:
i can hire my children at age 14 as a helper, but they are not allowed to be left alone with the chilren. EX: I cant leave the house to run errands or things like that
Blackcat31 02:19 PM 02-22-2011
In MN helpers can be 13 but never left alone with kids. They must be 18 to be left alone.
Tags:age appropriate, age restrictions, ratios
Reply Up