Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Dose and Drop
CountryRoads 02:05 PM 04-17-2019
I know there are a lot of threads on this, I was just wanting some advice on wording.

I've had some problems this cold season with dose and drops. I had one yesterday, and I've about had it. It's driving me bonkers! This is my HOME. This is not a center where everyone leaves at the end of the day (obviously not okay to do that there either!) You are bringing germs and illnesses into my home around my husband and my children.

I'm not stupid and it's safe for me to assume that after lunch when the Motrin is wearing off and your child has a 101+ fever, he woke up with one. I can't prove it, but somehow fevers always start at daycare. Colds and coughs happen, but fevers are never okay at daycare! You would think after sending these kids home after lunch for fevers, parents wouldn't try to pull a fast one on me. I know it's hard missing work, this is why a back up is a good idea.

Rant over

Anyways, I need to send out a letter to my families about RSV since I have a confirmed case. I was going to put something in it like:

Please do not send your child to daycare on pain/fever reducer. This masks any symptoms and exposes our entire group to cooties and germs. Thank you for your cooperation!

Sound good, bad? Would you say it differently?
Blackcat31 03:06 PM 04-17-2019
Originally Posted by CountryRoads:
I know there are a lot of threads on this, I was just wanting some advice on wording.

I've had some problems this cold season with dose and drops. I had one yesterday, and I've about had it. It's driving me bonkers! This is my HOME. This is not a center where everyone leaves at the end of the day (obviously not okay to do that there either!) You are bringing germs and illnesses into my home around my husband and my children.

I'm not stupid and it's safe for me to assume that after lunch when the Motrin is wearing off and your child has a 101+ fever, he woke up with one. I can't prove it, but somehow fevers always start at daycare. Colds and coughs happen, but fevers are never okay at daycare! You would think after sending these kids home after lunch for fevers, parents wouldn't try to pull a fast one on me. I know it's hard missing work, this is why a back up is a good idea.

Rant over

Anyways, I need to send out a letter to my families about RSV since I have a confirmed case. I was going to put something in it like:

Please do not send your child to daycare on pain/fever reducer. This masks any symptoms and exposes our entire group to cooties and germs. Thank you for your cooperation!

Sound good, bad? Would you say it differently?
Here is the info I send out for RSV
https://www.hennepin.us/-/media/henn...C1806483CDC78D

As for dope and drops....I have 2 suggestions.

Use the 24/48 hour rule. It really does help.

As for what to say to parents, I would say:

"Dear Parents

Country Roads Child Care is a well child program. This means if your child requires medication to make it through the day, they are excluded from care.

Please do NOT medicate your child prior to drop off. Often times this simply masks an underlying illness which in turn is then spread to others and creates a cycle of illness that is difficult to stop.

Beginning, on Monday April X, 2019 I will be adopting a new policy for sending children home when ill. Normally my illness policy excludes children sent home from care until they have been symptom free for a full 24 hours without the use of OTC medications.

The new policy will require any child sent home from care to remain home for a full 48 hours after symptoms have subsided without the use of OTC medications.

This new policy will eliminate the continuous cycle of back and forth illnesses and will hopefully create an environment that is healthy for everyone.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thank you

Provider"

CountryRoads 03:11 PM 04-17-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Here is the info I send out for RSV
https://www.hennepin.us/-/media/henn...C1806483CDC78D

As for dope and drops....I have 2 suggestions.

Use the 24/48 hour rule. It really does help.

As for what to say to parents, I would say:

"Dear Parents

Country Roads Child Care is a well child program. This means if your child requires medication to make it through the day, they are excluded from care.

Please do NOT medicate your child prior to drop off. Often times this simply masks an underlying illness which in turn is then spread to others and creates a cycle of illness that is difficult to stop.

Beginning, on Monday April X, 2019 I will be adopting a new policy for sending children home when ill. Normally my illness policy excludes children sent home from care until they have been symptom free for a full 24 hours without the use of OTC medications.

The new policy will require any child sent home from care to remain home for a full 48 hours after symptoms have subsided without the use of OTC medications.

This new policy will eliminate the continuous cycle of back and forth illnesses and will hopefully create an environment that is healthy for everyone.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thank you

Provider"
Do you think the 48 hour rule works because parents don't want to risk not having care for 2 days? I've heard this before and I'd like to know the reasoning behind it!
springv 04:12 PM 04-17-2019
We always send this home with parents if their children .
is sick.
"Dear parent/Guardian,
We hope -------- is feeling better very soon. We would like to remind you of our 24/48 hour rule and that your child must be symptom or fever free for 24/48 hours.
Thanks,
DC provider"
mommyneedsadayoff 04:59 PM 04-17-2019
Do you think the 48 hour rule works because parents don't want to risk not having care for 2 days? I've heard this before and I'd like to know the reasoning behind it!
I used it as a deterrent. If your kid has a fever, keep them home and you will miss less work. If you bring them, you will not only miss a day due to having to come get them early, but you will not be allowed back for two FULL days!

For example...kid wakes with fever on Monday morning and you keep them home. They wake up tuesday, fever free and back to their normal self, so they go to daycare. One day of work is missed.

Second scenario...kid wakes with fever Monday morning, meds are given, they go to daycare. Meds wear off, kid has fever and parent is called for pick up. Child is not allowed back the next day due to 24 hr rule, so parent misses 1.5 days of work (half Monday, all day tuesday).

48 hour rule...same as above, but due to dope and drop, child is not allowed back till Thursday. 2.5 days missed work. (Half Monday, all day tues, wed.) If the child was feeling better on Tuesday, that means the parent misses two full days of work to be home with a well child. It's a deterrent and in the parents best interest to treat and care for their sick child with those days off versus lying and using those days to manage a healthy child.
Ariana 06:55 PM 04-17-2019
Sorry to hijack but am revamping my contract right now!

So I would word it like: “Please keep your child home if they have a fever. They are allowed to return to care after 24 hours fever free. If a child develops a fever at daycare they will need to be fever free for 48 hours before returning to care. This is to eliminate the chances of fever reducers being given to mask symptoms for exclusion”

Is that how it is worded in your contracts?
Blackcat31 06:15 AM 04-18-2019
It works because the parent doesn't want to risk losing two days of work and/or daycare. (mine pay regardless of absences) and it works because the child that was sick has additional time to get back to 100% before returning to care verses the standard 24 hours which I think it's always enough time to fully recover. Especially now days with so many kids lacking sound sleep and healthy foods.

So yes, I truly believe it really does impact the amount of illnesses and reduces the constant cycling back and forth.
Tags:dope and drop, dope; drop, drop and dose
Reply Up