Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Comforting the Crier
daycare 08:48 AM 12-21-2011
So last week I posted about my newbie.... 23 months old. Here full days 3 days a week, never been away from parents.

She is a scream crier. An all day one. I have done all that I can to comfort her and eventually will get to to join in or stop the crying for a bit, but its only when I hold her. Realistically I can't hold her all day, so I will put her down often. As soon as those feet hit the floor she screams. I feel that I need to put her down, as I can't get her used to this.

She will go full time all day 5 days after the first of the year. Anything that I could try so that we can have our christmas party today in peace? I can't hold her while we set up for our party and just letting her cry is not an option, as it really really gets to the other kids....
cheerfuldom 08:54 AM 12-21-2011
can you let her cry in a separate room? I know that is not a long term option but it could work for today so your kids have a nice party.
daycare 09:24 AM 12-21-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
can you let her cry in a separate room? I know that is not a long term option but it could work for today so your kids have a nice party.
lol, you must be in my ear. my sweet poor husband took her to the other room and is trying to get her to calm down.... I am pouring in sweat from danicng to christmas music...

NOt sure why I did not think of that sooner...
Ariana 10:25 AM 12-21-2011
Would she be ok with holding your hand instead of being held? I've done this with children before who insisted on being held. It sometimes works and is a good transition from being held. I usually would say "I can't hold you right now but you can hold my hand if you like...what's your choice" Then repeat "you ca be on your own or you can hold my hand...whats your choice". Maybe that will help?
Childminder 10:53 AM 12-21-2011
I have her here. Except mine didn't want to be held, at all. Six weeks of non stop scream crying so loud you can't talk to someone else. The other kids would put their hand over their ears and yell "Make her stop!". I tried the crying bowl, that has worked in the past. I put her in a room by herself and let her cio. Nothing worked. Termination was quickly becoming the only answer Finally after six weeks she stopped. I bought a book that the Children's Welfare League recommended called The Kissing Hand and both mom and I started reading it to her every day. It seems to have worked, after just a few days she stopped and is a most pleasant child.
daycare 11:02 AM 12-21-2011
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Would she be ok with holding your hand instead of being held? I've done this with children before who insisted on being held. It sometimes works and is a good transition from being held. I usually would say "I can't hold you right now but you can hold my hand if you like...what's your choice" Then repeat "you ca be on your own or you can hold my hand...whats your choice". Maybe that will help?
she does not want to hold my hand at all, she will shoo it away and say NO.. UP...lol
Tags:comforting, crying
Reply Up