Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Last Two Spots..Sorry Long!
beachgrl 12:51 PM 03-28-2012
So I thought I had my last two full time spots filled with two siblings, an infant and one closer in age to my other dck but the kids had been sick and out of daycare already and dcm was waiting for them to get better but wanted to switch them to a smaller setting so they hopefully wouldnt get sick as much as she was in school and was on the border of having to quit due to too many absences. So they started once she said they were better over the weekend, and sure enough they were still very runny noses both of them just pouring...but werent running a fever and I knew she would have to quit school/had no one else to keep them for her so I was trying to work with her and let them stay all week, until toward the middle of a day the end of the week when one of them ran a fever and I had to call her to come get them, he had also been acting like he really didn't feel well at all. She did come get them and kept them home the next day, texted me over the weekend to let me know he had been in the hospital a few hours with his fever I assume and double bad ear infections.

I also ended up feeling bad Friday and was very sick all weekend and still trying to get over it. I had to go to doctor last night and missed school myself both nights this week. Anyway, I was still hoping he would get well enough to come back as I knew I would lose them if she had to quit school but she really didn't let me know anything and I wasn't sure what was going on until I texted her yesterday to see how he was feeling and she said he was still sick...I had to ask her about school only to find out she had basically quit the day prior and she had let me know nothing. Anyway, long story short I have two openings again and I was just starting to feel a sense of relief that I had finally filled my two spots and was having to start the waiting game all over.

To make matters worse, we had planned a family vacation in a couple months that we are saving every extra $ for when our AC went out last week too and took all but $100 of what we had saved so far to fix it and that was with my family fixing it for us.

So out of the blue today, a parent calls saying she had talked to me awhile back and she was actually at my house right then as she had forgotten my number and drove by to see the number on my sign, she called and wanted to come in and talk to me if I still had openings. So when she came up to the house, I realized it was a parent with two kids who I was pretty sure I was going to get awhile back and then I never heard from again. They had had a bunch of family and health issues stuff happening and so they didn't end up needing child care yet but she seemed very interested in seeing about them starting soon. The only thing is they would be getting dropped off way early, like 6:15-6:45 in the am and picked up around 4pm. It is a 15 mo and 2.5 yr old so I like that they are close in age to the ones I already have and not a young infant but the early hours idk. She did say that the grandparents would be keeping them a lot on mon/wed so they would typically be tues/thurs/fri except when the grandparents have a dr appointment and can't keep them. I am not sure on how to charge but I lean toward the regular full time rate and that way they can come on mon and wed when needed but can stay out with granparents as much as they want as long as I know when the ARE coming, she was wanting to get a discount on one of the kids or a lower rate for both and I told her with the earlier hours I didn't really want to do that. but then I thought about the fact that they often would be here three days for the most part and thought maybe I would give her like $25 discount on the weekly rate so instead of $250 for both it would be $225 and then they would have the flexibility to use all the days or just the three. Three days or more for me is full time rate anyway so I would be giving her a slight discount like she asked about and yet not having them everyday.

Thoughts? I know the early hours is and extra hour per day per kid but right now with the way things have been I really want and need the spaces filled. I have thought of discounting my rates more to get more kids and have offered lower rates depending upon hours so they would also be getting picked up an hour or so earlier so I factor that in as well. i dont mind the being up earlier for the kids as I get up at 5:20 am anyway to make sure my son is up to get ready for school and get on the bus but I usually lay back down for awhile lol...only because my first kiddo doesn't get here until 8:30 as it it. The ones I had last week got here at 7:15 so that was earlier than normal anyway.

The potential new kiddos mom is going to talk to dad and should be calling me back tonight to let me know what they want to do and check with me on the rates for sure/see what the options are. I had thought of only charging her $100 ea child for three days and then charging the $35 ea kid drop in rate on the occasional mon/wed that they needed to come, but I am not sure which way would be best.? Wanted to have a plan in the event I hear back from her later.

Sorry so long, thanks in advance for any thoughts/advice!
beachgrl 03:12 PM 03-28-2012
Any advice is sooo appreciated!
frugalmama4 04:42 PM 03-28-2012
I totally understand feeling like your back is up against the wall. Needing the income and having to take families you wouldn't normally take. So my advice would be to pray about this situation before agreeing to anything.

But the lord say to pray about all...but still put in work. Look at your current full time and part time rate and your drop in rate for each kid..totally up what she would pay per-week. Then look at what it would be if she did only the part time or drop in rate. And then from there see how much you can afford to discount...I would also have all this written out so she can see the discount she's getting. If you offer hourly rates give her that option too.

I wish you luck...I'm trying to fill my slots to...have one kid leaving in two weeks. I just started my business and my income still counts to keep the family moving. I pray to get to the point that we are truly a ONE INCOME HOUSE HOLD. wish me luck!!!
beachgrl 06:59 PM 03-28-2012
Originally Posted by frugalmama4:
I totally understand feeling like your back is up against the wall. Needing the income and having to take families you wouldn't normally take. So my advice would be to pray about this situation before agreeing to anything.

But the lord say to pray about all...but still put in work. Look at your current full time and part time rate and your drop in rate for each kid..totally up what she would pay per-week. Then look at what it would be if she did only the part time or drop in rate. And then from there see how much you can afford to discount...I would also have all this written out so she can see the discount she's getting. If you offer hourly rates give her that option too.

I wish you luck...I'm trying to fill my slots to...have one kid leaving in two weeks. I just started my business and my income still counts to keep the family moving. I pray to get to the point that we are truly a ONE INCOME HOUSE HOLD. wish me luck!!!
Thanks for the response, and you are definitely right on that..prayer is often the best thing to do in all situations. Think I got my answer already though, I am on care.com and I get texts every time a new local post is posted and low and behold, tonight after no call from the parents letting me know anything one way or another and there is an add where they are looking for child care, wanting people to let them know their qualifications, rates, etc...so they want quality and they want someone with an education but they want the cheapest deal they can find and can't even bother to let me know that they are still looking when they were supposed to let me know something (for the second time mind you...the first time a couple months ago I never heard back and then dcm just shows up at my house and I let her come in for awhile with no notice and visit/chat and this is what I get, shocker).

While I respect wanting to check prices, the impression was she would talk to dcd and call me this evening to discuss further and see what my rates would be and yet instead they post an add looking for child care...what??? You took up valuable time in my day with my current children in care and dropped by unannounced and yet you still don't bother to let me know what you are doing or not, sheesh..some people want their cake and eat it too and I wouldn't be surprised if I hear back from them in a few days if they don't get adequate offers on their ad, hmmm.
beachgrl 07:01 PM 03-28-2012
If it was meant to be, it would be and I wouldn't have to worry with it so I am not anymore, lol. I just wish people would be more upfront about things. On a positive note, a friend told me she referred me to a friend of hers and got my number for her friend to call me so hopefully I will hear from her and maybe get a new kiddo that way.

I just have to remember God is in charge and looking out for me and my family, he has seen us through over 6 months now and he will be there, I just have to be ready and patient through it all. Thanks!
frugalmama4 07:13 PM 03-28-2012
I'm on my way to bed..da hubby is calling Lol!

But yes you're right God is in control of everything and he will always make a way. Trust in him always (I think I will take my own advice here also). I too understand, I have had a few calls this week from my CL ad and the response I'm getting is (oh, no that's to much I can't afford that) well I guess some people can put a value on their kids. As a provider we will never never never earn what we are worth IMO.

I will try a few other things before considering lowing my rates e.g providing diapers/wipes offering one fee date night and such.

Good Luck to you...and don't let anyone bully you out of your worth!
MrsB 07:58 AM 03-29-2012
Hey beachgrl! So glad you were able to find your answer.

Can I offer a little piece of advice?

Be wary of offering a lower Full time price to someone who says they "probably" wont come on such and such days. In my experience EVERY time I have given a discounted full time rate to a family because they only need an occasional tuesday or thursday. I end up with the kids every tuesday or thursday. I am not blaming the parents, because why wouldnt you use it if you are paying for it right?

So for me, I always offer my full time rate and they can use the days they wish. Or I offer a rate for the 3 days and they can pay the drop in rate for the extra days they need if I have availability.
beachgrl 11:46 AM 04-02-2012
Originally Posted by MrsB:
Hey beachgrl! So glad you were able to find your answer.

Can I offer a little piece of advice?

Be wary of offering a lower Full time price to someone who says they "probably" wont come on such and such days. In my experience EVERY time I have given a discounted full time rate to a family because they only need an occasional tuesday or thursday. I end up with the kids every tuesday or thursday. I am not blaming the parents, because why wouldnt you use it if you are paying for it right?

So for me, I always offer my full time rate and they can use the days they wish. Or I offer a rate for the 3 days and they can pay the drop in rate for the extra days they need if I have availability.
Thank you, that was really my thinking on it but since I have some families who pay $25 less a week due to using less hours, I thought I would offer her a $25 discount for one of the kids so her weekly total would be $25 less and yet she would still be at the ft rate that some of my families have and yet I wouldn't have charged her extra for the earlier arrival time which I should have kept the ft rate just for that alone. She never did find out what rate I would have offered he for sure or which way we would do it with the 3 day rate and adding drop in because she ended up putting an ad on care.com looking for child care and never even let me know anything. i guess she didn't realize I was on there and get email notifications when a new job listing is posted!

So frustrating but all the thought I was putting into it didn't even matter because she didn't bother to even let me know they were going to keep looking or whatever...ugh.

Noted, no rate discount for that type of thing and no sibling discounts. I am tired of trying to be nice and make accommodations people who can't even be bothered to be honest or let you know something.
MizzCheryl 01:37 PM 04-02-2012
Mrs B is right. They start off coming 3 days Then 4 Then 5. They always work their way up to everyday.
Tags:holding spot, spots
Reply Up