Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Infant Sleeping While Outside
JJPlaycare 11:21 AM 05-06-2013
I live in MN and now that the weather is nice I have a question.... Where do you have the infants sleep while you are outside? Do you bring a pack n play outside?
itlw8 11:36 AM 05-06-2013
I have a stroller that lays down flat. If I lay her down and push around the yard she falls fast asleep. I them park her in the shade. In the pack and play she wants to play
DaisyMamma 11:49 AM 05-06-2013
Check your regs and make sure its allowed to use a stroller, some say it has to be a pack & play.
I use a stroller or pack & play, depending on the child and what they prefer. I've also had them fall asleep in the baby swing.
Blackcat31 11:52 AM 05-06-2013
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
Check your regs and make sure its allowed to use a stroller, some say it has to be a pack & play.
I use a stroller or pack & play, depending on the child and what they prefer. I've also had them fall asleep in the baby swing.
DaisyMamma is right, we can't have infants sleeping in anything but a crib or approved PNP.

My licensor suggested that if the baby cannot be awake while we are outside, to leave the infant inside WITH a monitor. (I have a video monitor now, but at the time I only had one with audio)

Otherwise, the only way around this is to keep the infant awake while you are outside or drag the PNP outside.
DaisyMamma 11:54 AM 05-06-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
DaisyMamma is right, we can't have infants sleeping in anything but a crib or approved PNP.

My licensor suggested that if the baby cannot be awake while we are outside, to leave the infant inside WITH a monitor. (I have a video monitor now, but at the time I only had one with audio)

Otherwise, the only way around this is to keep the infant awake while you are outside or drag the PNP outside.
You are lucky that you can do that. I'm not allowed to leave a sleeping kid inside, monitor or not.
itlw8 11:57 AM 05-06-2013
No way could I leave a child in the house with or without a monitor. very strict about that.. the children outdoors if over 3 can be alone if I check on them... now THAT is a stupid rule like you can trust a 3 yr old ???
DaisyMamma 12:03 PM 05-06-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
No way could I leave a child in the house with or without a monitor. very strict about that.. the children outdoors if over 3 can be alone if I check on them... now THAT is a stupid rule like you can trust a 3 yr old ???
I literally LOL
Are they nuts?
Sometimes I wonder what these people @ the state are thinking?

A baby asleep with a monitor alone inside is not ok, but a 3 year old can go outside alone?

So basically you have to stay inside with the sleeping babies and send the kids outside to play....alone.... (scratches head)... Yea, I don't get it...
Blackcat31 12:04 PM 05-06-2013
I questioned my licensor too but she said it was safer to leave a sleeping child inside WITH a monitor than to leave active ones outside WITH a monitor.

Personally, I just take the infant outside with me when they are awake and plan our outdoor time around nap schedules.
JJPlaycare 12:11 PM 05-06-2013
Heres my dilemma...... the babe is only 7 weeks and still pretty sleepy! Seems to be quite the cat napper and no real schedule, so leaving her inside with a monitor is out of the question, I could potentially be in here every 20 mins putting a nuk in or what have you. Anyway this little doll is my licensors neice and my licensor is comming to visit this afternoon! Well it is absolutely beautiful outside so I have planned our afternoon outside and now I am like hmmm what am I to do when this new little one falls asleep and now Im under double stressola because my licensor is comming! So for today I placed a pack n play in my backyard and we will see how it goes. I've had alot of winter babies so by the time summer or nice weather moves around they are on a nice schedule.... not the case here!
DaisyMamma 12:15 PM 05-06-2013
Oh my goodness! Go with the PNP and drill the licensor with your questions
littlemissmuffet 12:16 PM 05-06-2013
Whoa... I'm pretty mellow about supervision and even I think leaving kids ages 3 and up outside just being "checked on" OR leaving an infant indoors sleeping with just a monitor on while the adult is outside (espeically with a bunch of other kiddos) is just not cool.
Blackcat31 12:18 PM 05-06-2013
Originally Posted by JJPlaycare:
Heres my dilemma...... the babe is only 7 weeks and still pretty sleepy! Seems to be quite the cat napper and no real schedule, so leaving her inside with a monitor is out of the question, I could potentially be in here every 20 mins putting a nuk in or what have you. Anyway this little doll is my licensors neice and my licensor is comming to visit this afternoon! Well it is absolutely beautiful outside so I have planned our afternoon outside and now I am like hmmm what am I to do when this new little one falls asleep and now Im under double stressola because my licensor is comming! So for today I placed a pack n play in my backyard and we will see how it goes. I've had alot of winter babies so by the time summer or nice weather moves around they are on a nice schedule.... not the case here!
Well, since so many regulations seem to be up to the interpretation of the licensor, I would absolutely ask her for clarification to this rule.

It might also be an option for you to "wear" this baby in a moby wrap or something similar since they are so young.

Of course, I have heard that wearing a baby shouldn't be done until a certain age too so again, I would ask my licensor since she will be the one ok'ing or not ok'ing the method you use.
JJPlaycare 12:23 PM 05-06-2013
Yeah it stinks just on Monday she did a little question/answer session and I really wanted to be there because I seem to have alot of questions with sleeping infants and outside things, but I have 3 kids and only 2 parents and my hubby couldn't do it all for us that night, so I guess I will have my own little one on one question answer session today with her! Shes pretty cool with things, so I am not too worried, more or less want to do what is right and avoid doing something wrong! We will see how it goes and thanks again for all the advice!
mema 12:24 PM 05-06-2013
My licensor (well, the one I had previously-not sure who I have now) said they may stay inside with a monitor and to go in and check every 25-30 minutes, but to bring the kids with. So, with the first one I had, I did this and just had the kids wait right inside the door. After a few weeks, I decided it didn't seem like a great idea and now I only go out when they aren't napping. If they were that little tho and napping off and on all the time, I would just bring the pnp outside or you may never get out! And now that this snow is melting, you need to get out before it turns to winter again. Should be in about, what, 5 days or so. Seems like that's how long the warm stuff is lasting these days. Good luck with your visit and definitely check with her. Who knows what the future will bring soon with whatever rules get passed from this safe sleep project.
AmyKidsCo 01:33 PM 05-06-2013
In WI sleeping infants can be inside with a monitor too, but I only like to do that when it's nice enough to have open windows too. I never fully trust the monitor...
JenNJ 06:03 PM 05-06-2013
I just have a pack n play near my back door. I take it out with us. Or I use a outdoor blanket surrounded by a superyard.
BBDC 08:35 AM 05-07-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I am not liscensed so I dont have the a little more leway with rules but my babies sleep inside with a baby monitor outside. I do "ask" parents if this is okay before contracting a child but all parents have been fine with it!
JJPlaycare 11:35 AM 05-09-2013
Well I ended up bringing a pack n play outside and she said either the monitor for indoors or the pack n play outdoors, both were just fine. She ended up holding the infant (her niece) the entire time, so it all worked out and I told her to come back anytime!
LK5kids 12:11 PM 05-09-2013
I have a stroller that lays down flat. If I lay her down and push around the yard she falls fast asleep. I them park her in the shade. In the pack and play she wants to play

Me too! My little dcbaby loves to go outside and it puts him right to sleep!
Reply Up