Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:57 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Possible Speech Delay - Would You Say Anything To Mom?

I have a sweethearted little boy that turned 2 at the beginning of the year. He says nearly nothing, and what he does say is mostly just consistent sounds that I can recognize. Yes and no are uh uh and uh huh, mommy is nunu, more is moooo. He can make some animal sounds, maybe 5. I try to encourage it as much as I can by trying to have him say up, when he wants up (it comes out as uuuuuuuuu), etc. DCM hasn't mentioned one word about it, but she can recognize a lot more of his sounds (he reminds me of Curious George). She has an older child, so this isn't a case of her just not knowing what to expect.

I don't want to insult her or her son by saying anything if it isn't my place, but this poor kid is getting more frustrated not being able to communicate what he wants. Plus, for all I know, she has taken steps to get him evaluated and just hasn't mentioned it.

He's been with me since he turned one, and I feel partially responsible for him not catching up yet, but mostly, I just want to hear his cute little voice more.

Is this something you mention to parents, or do you let them figure it out in their own time?

Ps...I apologize that this is all over the map. He woke up half way through me typing.

Thanks!
Old 05-07-2014, 11:59 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

some kids are just late talkers… I wouldn't be super concerned just yet and I wouldn't say anything to a parent just yet. I find the ones who don't say anything early start all at once and you blink and they are talking in full sentences.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:09 PM
Daycare.com Member

I agree with pp, some are just late talkers. If he was around 3, then I would be concerned. But then again I have one dcb who has been in speech therapy since he was 18 mo., but he had texture aversion issues too. I don't know if it goes hand in hand or not.

Personally I would give your little guy some more time until you say something.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:22 PM
Daycare.com Member

yes I would be concerned and yes I would mention it. But yes he could just be a late talker or he may not be hearing the rest of the sounds.

I would encourage you and mom to learn some sign it will make his like so much less frustrating and the speech actually often follows right along with learning the signs.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:32 PM
Legally Unlicensed

I guess I'm the odd man out, but I'd mention it. In my area, once they turn three they no longer qualify for free intervention services through our school district. There's no reason to wait until an issue is crystal clear... sometimes it's helpful to nip it earlier rather than later.

For example, my nephew (who is now 7 and in 1st grade) talked very similar to what you're describing. He also talked very loudly. Anyone who expressed concern was met with "he's just a late talker". Actually, it ends up he needed tubes in his ears and his hearing was profoundly affected. You couldn't immediately tell that the problem was even his ears. He didn't have issues with ear infections, either. He had his first set of tubes when he was 3.5 and they helped greatly, but he has an EIP at school, has his own para, and receives Title I services. He also still has a lot of speech problems and has difficulty saying what he wants to... which frustrates him. He's the sweetest boy, but before he had his tubes, he was a monster. He was mean and beat up on his cousins. I think he just couldn't hear enough to understand... he was in his own little world. I think since he missed out on the early years of hearing others speak he's lost that piece of the puzzle that helps children learn speech patterns and fluidity. If that makes sense.

Sorry, didn't mean to make that so long!
Old 05-07-2014, 12:33 PM

Absolutely mention it. Children should have 50 words and be using 2 to 3 word phrases by the time they're two. If you approach dcm with genuine concern for a child you both love, I think she'll be receptive and it will get her to thinking. Her first step would be to see the pediatrician.
I have a friend who kept thinking her son was a late bloomer and didn't get him evaluated until almost 3 years old. Turns out, he was totally deaf and spent another 3 years trying to catch up.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:35 PM
Daycare.com Member

Does he have any other issues (ie frequent ear infections, texture issues, sleep issues, etc)?

When you give him a one step direction (ie, "get the ball") does he understand and (at least try) to follow it?

Does he make eye contact when asking you for something (ie when he says "more")?

Does he gesture or try to use other forms of language (sign language, leading you to the item) to try to communicate?

Does he make eye contact with you when you talk to him?

If you say "where's the ball?" when playing or reading a book with him does he look or point in that direction?

Honestly it's hard to say if a child is a delayed talker without all the knowledge and experience with this child...some children take more time but as long as he's making progress and isn't showing other issues as mentioned above then maybe just keep a watchful eye on it and refer him to your local early childhood intervention program if he continues struggling.

If I were to answer the above questions for my son when he was 2 yo then I would've said no to all of those questions. My son started stagnating in his speech development and then eventually regressed to the point where he didn't even say "mama". He lost all of the words he had. I had him evaluated and he was found to be almost a year behind. He is slowly catching up and is doing way better socially. If I had waited to get his ear tubes and to get him evaluated then I don't think he would be at this level...probably would be worse.

But then again it is easy to jump to the conclusion if we don't know the big picture and we don't consider that every child walks, talks, and potty trains at different ages than another child may.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:38 PM

I'd mention it, but don't expect much. I had a little boy who was clearly speech delayed (children a full year younger than him speak/spoke more clearly! and he was missing the weirdest sounds and weirdest concepts....kid has issues) and when I mentioned it to mom she had a million excuses why she wasn't doing anything about it. Finally she just said that it was going to be his teacher's problem when he was in kindy

Whenever I have concerns I say things like, "Have you asked his doctor about...." or "I noticed that x isn't quite where I expect it to be for someone his age, you may want to consider an evaluation." or "A, B, and C concern me--I'd ask his doctor just to be sure."
Old 05-07-2014, 02:14 PM
Family Childcare Provider

I would definitely mention it. I have a 2yr old myself and he's average in the talking dept. A DCB I had from 8mos to 22mos is a champion talker. Talks really well. I have a 2.5yr old who is probably at an 18-24 month range now. Repeats a lot (not well) but very little communicative speech. He was evaluated at 22 mos for a speech delay and received services but nothing really helped. He started a Gluten Free diet about 6-8wks ago and his speech has really taken off! I strongly suspect he has some form of ASD. I have 3 boys who were born within 5 mos of each other who were all here 4-5 days a week who all fall in different areas of speech development. I don't take credit for the advancement in one and don't take blame for the lack of the other.

But look into Early Intervention Services in your area and see if mom & dad are interested in an evaluation.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:17 PM
Daycare.com Member

I would mention something, but not in a panicky way.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:34 PM
Daycare.com Member

I do the Ages and stages questionnaire for all my kids. 1-6 they get two a year, babies get four.
http://caryhealthcareassociates.com/...4-Mo-Set-B.pdf
That one has the scoring on it as well. I usually do the first part, then talk to the parents about the other questions, or just go over the scoring and talk about where the child scored really well, and where he scored less well.
You can give it to them to take home so they can see what items are missing.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:22 PM

I agree w pp to bring it up by saying have you asked his doctors on tips to improve his speech?

My dd was evaluated by early intervention and has had speech therapy since about 9 months. I feel that it's really helped her. She's still behind in her speech but the gap is closing!
Old 05-07-2014, 06:47 PM
Family ChildCare Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelsj View Post
I do the Ages and stages questionnaire for all my kids. 1-6 they get two a year, babies get four.
That one has the scoring on it as well. I usually do the first part, then talk to the parents about the other questions, or just go over the scoring and talk about where the child scored really well, and where he scored less well.
I don't want to hi-jack, but can I ask you if you can score these without the book? Or is it that each item is something they should be doing at the designated age?
I've never used Ages & Stages, but have heard a lot about it lately and it looks pretty good.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:00 PM
mac n peas

I might mention it, but I'd be much more concerned if his receptive language was also under developed. If so, I'd ask if she was concerned. If it seems like he understands you just fine, in all kinds of environments, I'd just mention that he seems to be a bit frustrated with communication lately and ask if she was concerned or had asked his Ped.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:51 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth View Post
I guess I'm the odd man out, but I'd mention it. In my area, once they turn three they no longer qualify for free intervention services through our school district. There's no reason to wait until an issue is crystal clear... sometimes it's helpful to nip it earlier rather than later.
Exactly this. In my area, under 3 they go through Early Intervention, but when after they turn 3, they go through the school district. It is free either way, but it is better go start them with Early Intervention. The way I see it, the evaluation is free, and it doesn't hurt to have it done.

I would probably stat by commenting that you have been noticing his frustration with being unable to communicate, and ask DCM if she has noticed that at home. I also have the number for Early Intervention or the school district on hand so the parent is not left not knowing what to do next. OP, I noticed you are from Canada, so things may work a little differently, your best bet would probably be to have DCM ask the pediatrician- unless you know differently.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:09 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine74 View Post
Exactly this. In my area, under 3 they go through Early Intervention, but when after they turn 3, they go through the school district. It is free either way, but it is better go start them with Early Intervention. The way I see it, the evaluation is free, and it doesn't hurt to have it done.

I would probably stat by commenting that you have been noticing his frustration with being unable to communicate, and ask DCM if she has noticed that at home. I also have the number for Early Intervention or the school district on hand so the parent is not left not knowing what to do next. OP, I noticed you are from Canada, so things may work a little differently, your best bet would probably be to have DCM ask the pediatrician- unless you know differently.
I like phrasing it like that, thanks. Everyone gave great advice. Tact is not one of my strong suits,so I always get nervous with things like this.

I am from Canada and, knock on wood, I've never had the need for any type of EI, and I have no idea what's available.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:39 AM
Daycare.com Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelsj View Post
Thanks for sharing that link Angelsj.

Does anyone have a link to similar ones for older children namely 3-4 year olds they'd be willing to share?
Old 05-08-2014, 10:41 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliberateliterate View Post
I like phrasing it like that, thanks. Everyone gave great advice. Tact is not one of my strong suits,so I always get nervous with things like this.

I am from Canada and, knock on wood, I've never had the need for any type of EI, and I have no idea what's available.
I always get flustered when I am talking to people I don't know well. I try to have the whole conversation planned out in my head before I have it.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:53 AM
Family ChildCare Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by starz0123 View Post
Thanks for sharing that link Angelsj.

Does anyone have a link to similar ones for older children namely 3-4 year olds they'd be willing to share?
http://caryhealthcareassociates.com/patient-center/

Look in lower right corner for the age categories.
Don't thank me, I got it from here probably from angelsj
Old 05-09-2014, 07:45 AM
FCC Educator

Is this child a dual language learner?
I've had children in my care who were and referred to their mom as "nunu" as well.
If so, this could be the reason for the delay.

Another thing....older siblings can be a deterrent to the mile stones the younger sibling will hit. If the older sibling is always retrieving objects the younger one points at, can delay walking....or answers for the younger one, can delay talking.

Like others have said though, a lot can play a factor. It's really not our job to figure out why, but is to report what we see.

I'd mention what you've noticed, put it in any current progress reports, to cover yourself. And suggest the parent mention it to the pediatrician, without any indication of urgency. If it continues, or gets worse, then I'd start suggesting EI, before his 3rd birthday.

Tags
intervention