Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>So Mad About My States STAR Program!
melilley 04:25 PM 09-11-2015
First I want to say that I'm not for or against the STAR program as there are pros and cons to participating. I participated for personal reasons as well as I have gotten many calls from being at the top of the Great Start list for parents when they search for childcare. I could have a 4, but stayed at a 3 (I just renewed for the first time) because I don't want someone coming out to observe and also don't agree with a lot of the ways they want our homes to be set up.

Anywho, recently, they offered an incentive for providers to participate, a $500 incentive! I, as well as many providers in my state, are furious. I did all this work to get my stars and the incentive is only for providers who participate for the first time or for providers who resubmit to keep their stars, which is what I did, but it had to be done on or after August 3rd. I resubmitted in July so I don't get to receive the $500 bonus. I am furious! So us providers who participated and some who promoted the program (they're having a hard time getting providers to participate) get absolutely nothing. I know of a local provider who doesn't believe in the program, but submitted the minimal amount of information to get just 1 star and she received the bonus! And they want providers to keep renewing. Not sure I want to next time.
KiddieCahoots 04:46 PM 09-11-2015
I'm sorry, Melilley. With the experience I've had with the stars program, do it because you want to improve yourself and your daycare, and be proud of that! The system of it is totally whacked! Until it is necessary around the country, and everybody is on board with the requirements, it's basically a she said, he said type of issue. Not fair!

Good for you for going the extra mile!
melilley 05:36 PM 09-11-2015
Originally Posted by KiddieCahoots:
I'm sorry, Melilley. With the experience I've had with the stars program, do it because you want to improve yourself and your daycare, and be proud of that! The system of it is totally whacked! Until it is necessary around the country, and everybody is on board with the requirements, it's basically a she said, he said type of issue. Not fair!

Good for you for going the extra mile!
Thank you!
What you said is so true! I did do it for personal reasons, but it still irks me, can't help it..lol
midaycare 06:08 PM 09-11-2015
Originally Posted by melilley:
First I want to say that I'm not for or against the STAR program as there are pros and cons to participating. I participated for personal reasons as well as I have gotten many calls from being at the top of the Great Start list for parents when they search for childcare. I could have a 4, but stayed at a 3 (I just renewed for the first time) because I don't want someone coming out to observe and also don't agree with a lot of the ways they want our homes to be set up.

Anywho, recently, they offered an incentive for providers to participate, a $500 incentive! I, as well as many providers in my state, are furious. I did all this work to get my stars and the incentive is only for providers who participate for the first time or for providers who resubmit to keep their stars, which is what I did, but it had to be done on or after August 3rd. I resubmitted in July so I don't get to receive the $500 bonus. I am furious! So us providers who participated and some who promoted the program (they're having a hard time getting providers to participate) get absolutely nothing. I know of a local provider who doesn't believe in the program, but submitted the minimal amount of information to get just 1 star and she received the bonus! And they want providers to keep renewing. Not sure I want to next time.
I belong to a fb group and a woman on there said she filled out the minimum to get a 1-star rating to get the $500 bonus. And she did receive it. She said it took her very little time. Meanwhile, I worked night and day for weeks to earn my 4-star rating (I'm really ticked it's not a 5-star, btw), and I have no money. So ... I understand
midaycare 06:11 PM 09-11-2015

I have to say, too, that I have gotten a ton of calls form people because I am at the top of the list. Even with a 4-star rating, it puts me at the top. So very few participate here, and those that do, don't want someone coming out to their homes, so they settle for 3 stars. So even though I don't have 5 stars, I'm the highest in a 30 mile radius. I get at least 10 calls per week. So at least here it helps.
Gemma 05:51 AM 09-12-2015
A $500 incentive wouldn't change how I feel about that program, I want no part of it, until it becomes mandatory!
Febby 08:29 AM 09-12-2015
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I have to say, too, that I have gotten a ton of calls form people because I am at the top of the list. Even with a 4-star rating, it puts me at the top. So very few participate here, and those that do, don't want someone coming out to their homes, so they settle for 3 stars. So even though I don't have 5 stars, I'm the highest in a 30 mile radius. I get at least 10 calls per week. So at least here it helps.
We have to have someone out for a visit for 2 or more STARS here (although our total is out of four, instead of five). For a 1 star, you still have to do an environment rating (the score doesn't matter), but I'm not sure who does it. My experience has been with 2-3 stars. We also have to participate in order to accept child care assistance, so a lot of areas have a ton of 1 star providers.

I don't hate my state's program, but I wish it was completely optional. Requiring participation for child care assistance makes it more or less necessary in some areas, so I don't feel like it's truly optional.
Annalee 08:58 AM 09-12-2015
Originally Posted by Febby:
We have to have someone out for a visit for 2 or more STARS here (although our total is out of four, instead of five). For a 1 star, you still have to do an environment rating (the score doesn't matter), but I'm not sure who does it. My experience has been with 2-3 stars. We also have to participate in order to accept child care assistance, so a lot of areas have a ton of 1 star providers.

I don't hate my state's program, but I wish it was completely optional. Requiring participation for child care assistance makes it more or less necessary in some areas, so I don't feel like it's truly optional.
When QRIS started here in 2001, providers were told it would be "voluntary"...Who were they kidding....it is mandated annually for every licensed facility in my state....the words "optional" or "voluntary" obviously have a different meaning for the state.
nanglgrl 03:35 PM 09-12-2015
In Iowa you can only participate in TEACH and Wage$, if you participate in QRS plus you get all training free if you're 4 or 5 stars and are put at the top of the list when people call searching for childcare. Between all of the program's I get around $8000 yearly from the state. Some pays the college directly and the rest comes straight to me). The amount I get from wages will eventually be $3500 a year as I gain more education, then TEACH pays 60% of school and books but you get so many stipends that it usually pays more like 100%. We also get a stipend once every 2 years from QRS that's based on how many stars we have. I think my last one was $800. Also we get $250 every 2 years from childnet certification.
I don't know how well the programs work. If there was no $ involved I wouldn't do them. My program isn't any different than what I imagined it would be when I started this venture 15ish years ago, I think the only thing that might not have happened is me working to finish my BA in ECE. I don't think they make it too hard to participate in Iowa and they're very good at guiding you on the way in my area.
You can get up to three stars in Iowa without doing much of anything if you're already running a good program, beyond that education is involved. I currently waiting for FCCERS to come and do an assessment so I can earn my 5th star. I don't think that charge will change much if anything in my program but it will put more money in my pocket.
I see the negatives and positives of the program but got on board when it first started years ago because I figured it would eventually be mandated (and because of the $). We're not there yet though (and who knows if we ever will be).
To the OP, I feel for you. You got the short end of the stick and I've been there before. Some countries offer grants for equipment and I've seen providers in my state post awesome things they've gotten for free from their local CCRR or DHS. When I first started we had grants like that here but that time is long gone!
284878 07:58 PM 09-12-2015

I was told anyone that had stars could apply and if you did not make the 250 cut you could apply in Janurary when they reopened their offer. I was also told that I could apply again in two years even if I got the money this yeAr. I also follow a FB group and dc that had stars already when the email and calls went out were applying for the $$. did you try applying?

It could be miscommunication either to you or me. But I have the link to apply if you want to try.

Btw I got 3 stars, 2 on the list, was parparing all summer to submit. Got my check.
Josiegirl 05:17 AM 09-13-2015
I hope there is some way you can appeal to them for the incentive also!!!
That sucks that you missed it by only a few weeks.

I have to admit I'm only doing Stars for the rewards. It has made me improve my program which isn't a bad thing. I just filled out a new app for 3 Stars(I guess after you've done it 3(?) years you have to send in everything and fill out the long version all over again, instead of a simple renewal form.
She's talked me into going for my 4th which she will help me with. In our state there is an option of doing this 'strengthening families' form instead of an assessment. She was certified to do the assessment but then they hired 2 new people to come in and do them. She told me that just by looking around my place, even if all the assessors did was come in my door, I'd pass and be able to get 5 Stars. Not sure 5 is in my sights but I'm definitely going to shoot for 4 in the next 6 months. Four will mean higher subsidy pay, incentive reward of $1200(I think?) plus an annual award through Birth to 5 of $400.
But as I said, if $$$ wasn't involved I'd have to think long and hard about it. Not that I'm money hungry because the money goes right back into the biz, ya know?
midaycare 07:47 AM 09-13-2015
I'm really jealous of those states that offer money incentives. I live in MI with melilley - there are no financial incentives for STARS. The one exception being, if you accept State paid kids, they reimburse you slightly more. But that is a benefit to the parents, not to me.
melilley 04:34 PM 09-16-2015
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I belong to a fb group and a woman on there said she filled out the minimum to get a 1-star rating to get the $500 bonus. And she did receive it. She said it took her very little time. Meanwhile, I worked night and day for weeks to earn my 4-star rating (I'm really ticked it's not a 5-star, btw), and I have no money. So ... I understand
I think we may be a part of the same group.
melilley 04:38 PM 09-16-2015
Originally Posted by 284878:
I was told anyone that had stars could apply and if you did not make the 250 cut you could apply in Janurary when they reopened their offer. I was also told that I could apply again in two years even if I got the money this yeAr. I also follow a FB group and dc that had stars already when the email and calls went out were applying for the $$. did you try applying?

It could be miscommunication either to you or me. But I have the link to apply if you want to try.

Btw I got 3 stars, 2 on the list, was parparing all summer to submit. Got my check.
Yeah, you had to submit or resubmit by August 3rd to get the bonus. A lot of us who already have our stars are ticked off about that because we don't qualify because we earned our stars before August 3rd.
I've heard that they are going to be doing it again, that this time it was just a pilot program, but who knows.
melilley 04:42 PM 09-16-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I hope there is some way you can appeal to them for the incentive also!!!
That sucks that you missed it by only a few weeks.

I have to admit I'm only doing Stars for the rewards. It has made me improve my program which isn't a bad thing. I just filled out a new app for 3 Stars(I guess after you've done it 3(?) years you have to send in everything and fill out the long version all over again, instead of a simple renewal form.
She's talked me into going for my 4th which she will help me with. In our state there is an option of doing this 'strengthening families' form instead of an assessment. She was certified to do the assessment but then they hired 2 new people to come in and do them. She told me that just by looking around my place, even if all the assessors did was come in my door, I'd pass and be able to get 5 Stars. Not sure 5 is in my sights but I'm definitely going to shoot for 4 in the next 6 months. Four will mean higher subsidy pay, incentive reward of $1200(I think?) plus an annual award through Birth to 5 of $400.
But as I said, if $$$ wasn't involved I'd have to think long and hard about it. Not that I'm money hungry because the money goes right back into the biz, ya know?
Haha I know what you mean. I started off doing it for personal reasons, but did work to achieve my stars and the money would have been nice! Probably won't do it again if those of us who already have stars do not get anything.
In my state, the more stars a dc has, the higher dhs will pay for the parents, so it doesn't benefit providers. I don't accept subsidy anyways.
Reply Up