Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>So Over The No Shows!!!!
beachgrl 03:05 PM 02-09-2012
Had a parent emailing me back and forth since last week about setting up a visit and told me they were looking at their options in the area, didn't want their precious little in a bigger center but did want her in a setting around other kids and doing things (child is 8 mo old btw).

Anywhooo...mom calls me right at pick up beginning of the week and told her I would call her right back as soon as they were all picked up otw to college. I talked to her most of the way there, found out I worked with her mom years ago when I taught and thought that might give me an edge to the other options they may have looked at. Wasn't even sure on their schedule bc they didn't want to be somewhere they would have to pay $1 min late fees working in the bigger city traffic can be bad in the evenings and on occassion you can get stuck in town for ahwile but dcm gets off at 4:30 so that should not even be an issue for them but whatever. She sets up a visit/interview for tonight and I told her to call an hour ahead to confirm, ok..all is good.

No call...I have got where I don't want to bother myself at the end of a long tiring day with getting a packet ready and getting my house all ready and getting dressed nicer for people to not even bother to tell you they aren't coming so at 5:45 I called her and as soon as I said who I was, I got: "oh my god...I totally forgot to call you. I was going to call you yesterday and let you know but I forgot. Me: "yep, that's why I was calling because I didn't hear from you yet" Her: "well we ended up putting her at ______, because we had put her on a waiting list there and a spot opened up so we put here there". Me: "ok, was just calling to check. thanks."

Oh my freaking fracking expletive, seriously? really? wtf didn't you just call me the minute you decided to put her somewhere else? All week I have been thinking I may have a chance to get another kid and you don't have the decency or respect to "remember" to call for an appointment YOU made??? What is wrong with people? I don't even think I wanted this child just bc of the way her mom acted about late pickups and I did tell her that I have a late fee too just like anywhere else because I didn't want her thinking it would be any different here but this person who didn't want her child in a bigger center, in fact...put her in a much bigger center and one that is going to cost her about $20 more a week and will most definitely charge her late fees the very min she is past closing...wow, just wow.
icaredaycare 04:33 PM 02-09-2012
I've had it way worst. One time I was waiting for a potential client outside cause she said she was coming. i saw a suv, i saw a woman who looked kinda lost and confused. I waved to her, she saw me, and she bolted out. i called her and asked why she kept driving...she simply said...i didn't think it was an in home daycare with a man running it and hung up.
Michelle 07:00 PM 02-09-2012
Originally Posted by beachgrl:
Had a parent emailing me back and forth since last week about setting up a visit and told me they were looking at their options in the area, didn't want their precious little in a bigger center but did want her in a setting around other kids and doing things (child is 8 mo old btw).

Anywhooo...mom calls me right at pick up beginning of the week and told her I would call her right back as soon as they were all picked up otw to college. I talked to her most of the way there, found out I worked with her mom years ago when I taught and thought that might give me an edge to the other options they may have looked at. Wasn't even sure on their schedule bc they didn't want to be somewhere they would have to pay $1 min late fees working in the bigger city traffic can be bad in the evenings and on occassion you can get stuck in town for ahwile but dcm gets off at 4:30 so that should not even be an issue for them but whatever. She sets up a visit/interview for tonight and I told her to call an hour ahead to confirm, ok..all is good.

No call...I have got where I don't want to bother myself at the end of a long tiring day with getting a packet ready and getting my house all ready and getting dressed nicer for people to not even bother to tell you they aren't coming so at 5:45 I called her and as soon as I said who I was, I got: "oh my god...I totally forgot to call you. I was going to call you yesterday and let you know but I forgot. Me: "yep, that's why I was calling because I didn't hear from you yet" Her: "well we ended up putting her at ______, because we had put her on a waiting list there and a spot opened up so we put here there". Me: "ok, was just calling to check. thanks."

Oh my freaking fracking expletive, seriously? really? wtf didn't you just call me the minute you decided to put her somewhere else? All week I have been thinking I may have a chance to get another kid and you don't have the decency or respect to "remember" to call for an appointment YOU made??? What is wrong with people? I don't even think I wanted this child just bc of the way her mom acted about late pickups and I did tell her that I have a late fee too just like anywhere else because I didn't want her thinking it would be any different here but this person who didn't want her child in a bigger center, in fact...put her in a much bigger center and one that is going to cost her about $20 more a week and will most definitely charge her late fees the very min she is past closing...wow, just wow.
AND around here the big centers will call the police for child abandonment if parent comes 30 minutes late after closing
Don't worry about it, she sounds like a flake.Some one really good will come along
beachgrl 08:11 PM 02-09-2012
Originally Posted by Michelle:
AND around here the big centers will call the police for child abandonment if parent comes 30 minutes late after closing
Don't worry about it, she sounds like a flake.Some one really good will come along
Haha, yah I kinda got that feeling just in the phone convo with her but was a full timer and she lives close by so i was hoping the odds were in my favor but as is said on here many times..a person who acts like that is not one i want as a client. I sooo need a couple more kids to actually get signed up soon!
beachgrl 08:13 PM 02-09-2012
Originally Posted by icaredaycare:
I've had it way worst. One time I was waiting for a potential client outside cause she said she was coming. i saw a suv, i saw a woman who looked kinda lost and confused. I waved to her, she saw me, and she bolted out. i called her and asked why she kept driving...she simply said...i didn't think it was an in home daycare with a man running it and hung up.
Yikes, thats so rude. She could have still done the visit and actually given you a chance to see how she felt about it after talking with you. Did she not expect a man by your name or talking to you on the phine before if she did?

Shhesh, some people
mrsp'slilpeeps 09:08 PM 02-09-2012
NOOOOO she didnt. How stinkin rude.
icaredaycare 03:42 AM 02-10-2012
Originally Posted by beachgrl:
Yikes, thats so rude. She could have still done the visit and actually given you a chance to see how she felt about it after talking with you. Did she not expect a man by your name or talking to you on the phine before if she did?

Shhesh, some people
she knew I was a man when we spoke, but i think she thought it was a commercial daycare (which i stated clearly that it wasn't) and she thought I was just the receptionist or something.

As a man in the field I learned to take all the criticism. From daddy daycare, to house husband, and finally... mife (man wife). i just ignore them.
icaredaycare 03:43 AM 02-10-2012
Originally Posted by mrsp'slilpeeps:
NOOOOO she didnt. How stinkin rude.
i know right? oh well.
Cat Herder 04:49 AM 02-10-2012
mife (man wife).
I work with lots of "Murses" (2nd job).....and the other firefighter/medics refer to me as "Barbie" 99% of the time... it is everywhere, in every field, no matter where you go.

In some ways it is a blessing...weeds out the trash for you....

Sorry, Beachgirl.... DCM sounded inconsiderate and rude anyway.... you may have avoided alot of stress.
saved4always 05:15 AM 02-10-2012
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I work with lots of "Murses" (2nd job).....and the other firefighter/medics refer to me as "Barbie" 99% of the time... it is everywhere, in every field, no matter where you go.

In some ways it is a blessing...weeds out the trash for you....

Sorry, Beachgirl.... DCM sounded inconsiderate and rude anyway.... you may have avoided alot of stress.
Yep, I agree...you will get rid of the ignorant ones.
Zoe 06:44 AM 02-10-2012
That is so frustrating. Even if it's a potential client who you have red flags about, waiting for somebody who doesn't show just stinks.

Honestly, I don't clean my house for any interviews. I don't get dressed up either. If they come they come, if they don't they don't. I have packets all set up in my file cabinet in case they do show up. Fifteen minutes after they are supposed to show up and haven't, I assume they aren't coming, don't even call them, and leave the house to go do something fun.

It used to upset me more when I first started, but I've grown to expect it and almost laugh when my suspicions of them are confirmed and they don't show up. I know...cynical right?!

Sorry that happened to you, I do think you dodged a bullet though. You don't want somebody who is probably going to be late picking up anyway.
beachgrl 08:24 AM 02-10-2012
You all are so right about all that...I just wanna be full already! Lol...

I have gotten the same way Zoe about not going nuts cleaning bc they usually always come right after closing or weekends but my house tends to get a bit more scattered on weekends bc we stay so busy or are just tired from the week. My hubby and i both work full time and go to college and this semester we have alot on us but he will be all done in may!

I didnt change clothes last night but would have if she called to actually confirm..i think im going to start pulling what the dr offices do and calling the day before to confirm myself! That way if they have made other arrangements in the week since they made the appointment or they have "fogotten" we can go ahead and get it out of the way. I dont have a lot of free time during the week w school and my internship two nights per week so when i do make plans I dont like my free nights taken up by a person who cant be bothered to follow up...but its the nature of the beast i guess, they dont think about it unless they are on the other end of it themselves.

Thanks all..just needed to vent to those who totally know where im coming from.
DaisyMamma 06:03 PM 02-12-2012
I would have been really mad, but you really don't want her for a client.
beachgrl 10:24 AM 02-13-2012
In a way i was but have become so accustomed to no shows thstbim actually shocked when ppl show..how sad right? Ugh..i just need two more ft kids!
Tags:no show
Reply Up