Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Odd Schedule, Ideas On How To Charge?
beachgrl 07:49 AM 02-14-2012
Morning all, have a potential visit tomorrow and after hours care that im not sure yet I am eilling to do even if they want to use me but wondering how to charge since the kid would be mostly coming a lil before midday and leaving an hour and a half after my reg closing hours with the exception of two nights per week when aim unable to stay open later.

So from what dcm said via our first conversation:

M 11/12 to 5:30
T 8:30-5:30
W 12-7
Th 12-7
F 12-7

She did indicate their may be an occassional night it could be 7:30pm if they had an Emergency at the vets office she works at but notnoften and she does have family/etc that could pickup on a night if that happened and it was a conflict for me. She also seemed to think picking up by 5:30 on the two nights I wouldnt be able to do later on mon/tues and mon was the only one of those that she needed later anyway.

Also said dad is self employed so they have some ability to work around her schedule I guess.

So how would some of you charge working that much later but coming in later in the am too, and idk if 7 is pickup time or the time she gets off work yet..?
Solandia 08:33 AM 02-14-2012
She wants a premium full time schedule. If the hours are okay with you (assuming, since you are asking what to charge), and your 'normal' fulltime rate is based off hours between 7a-5pm... lets say $150 (my normal rate).

I used to do $5/hr premium past 5:30p. So her schedule for 11-7pm, M, W-F, and T 8-5 would be $180/wk.

No changing hours or "money off" if she picks up early unscheduled, no early drop offs either. She doesn't get to use regular hours PLUS premium hours, or switch them out at will. If mom wants to drop off earlier on her late days, then it will be an additional premium for beyond her original full-time schedule.

You will find that she is testing the waters to see if it will actually cost more for late shift...if she is going to be paying more for after hours care, she will likely be able to find a family member to pick up on time. She is hoping that full time is the same full time rate, regardless of the pickup time. If she does that to save money, then it is not unlikely her hours will magically change to earlier drop offs on the late days to make her full-time fee more 'full time'... BTDT, and that is fine, as long as you haven't negotiated your fulltime/late rate too low to begin with.
beachgrl 08:49 AM 02-14-2012
Thats about what I do except my regular weekly ft rate is $125 and $5 hour for drop in less than four hours or for other hours outside my regular time so that soumds like a good plsn..I also like what u said about her having the set contracted hours and not being able to vary her hours wo it being extra.

Works out to like $147.50 if she picks up at 7, if its gong to be later then it will be more...so may just say $150 even or should i be very specific on the amount since its per hour after hours.

Also, how do u handle if its odd time like 7:15 or 7:20? Do u figure the amount by dividing the time to the hourly rate or bill according to 1 hr increments? Like if she picked up at 7:15, would u bill for another hour or part of it?
saved4always 10:14 AM 02-14-2012
I would bill for the entire hour if it is part of an hour to keep it simple. Or at least at the half hours. And definitely make the time from 5:30 to 7:00 p.m. expensive enough that it is worth your while to stay open for them. I don't think $5 an hour would be enough money for me to personally consider keeping kids into dinner time and my evening. I would make it expensive enough that there would be incentive to get a family member to pick up. Or, if they are willing to pay, that you will feel you are making enough not to become resentful.
countrymom 10:24 AM 02-14-2012
I charge extra for anything past my closing time. So 12-7 would be 40 dollars a day. Hmm, sounds late, what does she do that she needs weird hours.
Live and Learn 10:33 AM 02-14-2012
If she is saying 11:00 or 12:00 for Monday drop off.....Plan on and quote your fee for 11:00.

If she is saying 7:00 and sometimes 7:30 for pick up then plan on and quote your fee for 7:30.

PREMIUM RATES FOR SURE! CONTRACTED HOURS!
beachgrl 10:50 AM 02-14-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I charge extra for anything past my closing time. So 12-7 would be 40 dollars a day. Hmm, sounds late, what does she do that she needs weird hours.
Works at animal hospital, not sure what dcd does other than he has his own business...
beachgrl 10:53 AM 02-14-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
What is ur normal daily rate bc mine is $35 for drop in wo extra or premium hours in there. My daily rate for reg weekly kids works out to $25day.
beachgrl 10:55 AM 02-14-2012
Would $10 hour for premium hours be better or is $5 more reasonable? Idk...
Reply Up