Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
1 2 3 
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Spin Off From Parents Thread
daycare 03:18 PM 04-29-2013
Originally Posted by Michelle:
I will look for a better link... I was told NO adult at all on the premises.
( unless they have been fingerprinted)
If this were true then that would mean all of your dcp would also have to be cleared so that they could come on your property to drop off and pick up.

Maybe you can call your duty officer and ask this question. I think maybe its a misunderstanding.
Crystal 04:58 PM 04-29-2013
I will look for a better link... I was told NO adult at all on the premises.
( unless they have been fingerprinted)
The only better link is to the regs I posted.....one of the few things that Cali licensing actually spells out VERY clearly:

Actually, it is not against regs for a repairman, volunteer, etc. to be there during hours, just FTR:

The following individuals are exempt from the requirement to submit fingerprints:
(1) A volunteer who is a relative, legal guardian, or foster parent of a child in the facility.
(2) A volunteer that provides time-limited specialized services if all of the following apply:
(A) The volunteer is directly supervised by the licensee or a facility employee with a
criminal record clearance or exemption.
(B) The volunteer spends no more than 16 hours per week at the facility.
(C) The volunteer is not left alone with children in care.
(3) A student who is enrolled or participating at an accredited educational institution if all of the
following apply:
(A) The student is directly supervised by the licensee or a facility employee with a criminal
record clearance or exemption.
(B) The facility has an agreement with the educational institution concerning the placement of the student

Cont.) FAMILY CHILD CARE HOMES Regulations
102370 CRIMINAL RECORD CLEARANCE (Continued) 102370
(C) The student spends no more than 16 hours per week at the facility.
(D) The student is not left alone with the children in care.
(4) A third-party repair person, or similar retained contractor, if all of the following apply:
(A) The individual is hired for a defined, time-limited job.
(B) The individual is not left alone with children.
(C) When children are present in the room in which the repairperson or contractor is
working, a staff person who has a criminal record clearance or exemption is also present
Michelle 05:00 PM 04-29-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
If this were true then that would mean all of your dcp would also have to be cleared so that they could come on your property to drop off and pick up.

Maybe you can call your duty officer and ask this question. I think maybe its a misunderstanding.
they said that the parents can be there to pick up and drop off only.

I know and the next question would be "what about the park? " do they have to be fingerprinted too?" the answer is.. the facility is licensed... not the person..so if you take the kids somewhere they must be safe, fed and secure but licensing does not get into anything more than what is going on at your home or if something happens outside your home..
Michelle 05:09 PM 04-29-2013
Originally Posted by Crystal:
The only better link is to the regs I posted.....one of the few things that Cali licensing actually spells out VERY clearly:

Actually, it is not against regs for a repairman, volunteer, etc. to be there during hours, just FTR:

The following individuals are exempt from the requirement to submit fingerprints:
(1) A volunteer who is a relative, legal guardian, or foster parent of a child in the facility.
(2) A volunteer that provides time-limited specialized services if all of the following apply:
(A) The volunteer is directly supervised by the licensee or a facility employee with a
criminal record clearance or exemption.
(B) The volunteer spends no more than 16 hours per week at the facility.
(C) The volunteer is not left alone with children in care.
(3) A student who is enrolled or participating at an accredited educational institution if all of the
following apply:
(A) The student is directly supervised by the licensee or a facility employee with a criminal
record clearance or exemption.
(B) The facility has an agreement with the educational institution concerning the placement of the student

Cont.) FAMILY CHILD CARE HOMES Regulations
102370 CRIMINAL RECORD CLEARANCE (Continued) 102370
(C) The student spends no more than 16 hours per week at the facility.
(D) The student is not left alone with the children in care.
(4) A third-party repair person, or similar retained contractor, if all of the following apply:
(A) The individual is hired for a defined, time-limited job.
(B) The individual is not left alone with children.
(C) When children are present in the room in which the repairperson or contractor is
working, a staff person who has a criminal record clearance or exemption is also present
Absolutely not true and very dangerous information..
I would never allow a repairman in my home with the kids present!
I will call licensing tomorrow, but I have been told many times by licensing it's against regulations.
nannyde 05:18 PM 04-29-2013
I will call licensing tomorrow, but I have been told many times by licensing it's against regulations.
I've had to have many repairman onsite when the kids were here. My home breaks down with repairs that need to be done asap. I couldn't afford off hour weekend and evening repairs. To expect a childcare to only do onsite repairs when kids weren't present would be very costly. You would either have to shut down or pay extra for off hours work. When you have unexpected repairs it's hard enough to figure out how to pay for them much less loose income until the repairs are done.
Crystal 05:19 PM 04-29-2013
Are you calling me a liar?
Michelle 05:21 PM 04-29-2013
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I've had to have many repairman onsite when the kids were here. My home breaks down with repairs that need to be done asap. I couldn't afford off hour weekend and evening repairs. To expect a childcare to only do onsite repairs when kids weren't present would be very costly. You would either have to shut down or pay extra for off hours work. When you have unexpected repairs it's hard enough to figure out how to pay for them much less loose income until the repairs are done.
Well, I do and it is worth it.
I would never do anything that will cause me to lose my license and put kids at risk.
My dh won't even leave me alone when a repairman is here.

Luckily my very talented hubby and sons can fix just about anything!
Michelle 05:21 PM 04-29-2013
no, just misinformed
nannyde 05:23 PM 04-29-2013
Crystal did you just whip up your own administrative code? Dang girl that Masters Degree kicked in real quick like.
Crystal 05:23 PM 04-29-2013
Here is the Title 22 Licensing Regulation Handbook.....you will find the regulations on pages 16 and 17:

http://www.dss.cahwnet.gov/ord/entre...pdf/fccman.pdf
Crystal 05:23 PM 04-29-2013
no, just misinformed
No, most definitley not misinformed. But, perhaps you are?
Crystal 05:24 PM 04-29-2013
Crystal did you just whip up your own administrative code? Dang girl that Masters Degree kicked in real quick like.
Yup, I sure did. Didn't go to school for nothin'!
daycare 05:26 PM 04-29-2013
What???? That is not dangerous information

As my son says. " what you taking about Willis?"
daycare 05:30 PM 04-29-2013
Soooo when my toilet was gushing crap water all over my house with DCks present was I not to let the plumber in?

What about when he hail storm broke my living room window was I supposed to let the kids freeze or let the repair guy in?

I also try to not have repair guys, or anyone around if I can help it

I think this goes on to say how horrible CA is at defining the rules. Way too much grey area
Crystal 05:32 PM 04-29-2013
BTW....here is the scan of the back of the form licensing gives me that requires a signature to transport for field trips, for those of you who were concerned about it in the other thread (please excuse the mark outs, I just realized I didn't have a blank copy...time to order more!)
Attached: er card.jpg (58.4 KB) 
Crystal 05:34 PM 04-29-2013
Soooo when my toilet was gushing crap water all over my house with DCks present was I not to let the plumber in?

What about when he hail storm broke my living room window was I supposed to let the kids freeze or let the repair guy in?

I also try to not have repair guys, or anyone around if I can help it

I think this goes on to say how horrible CA is at defining the rules. Way too much grey area
I agree....but this regulation is VERY clearly defined in the regulation book......no getting around it when it is spelled out in black and white. No licensor could or would challenge it.
daycare 05:35 PM 04-29-2013
BTW....here is the scan of the back of the form licensing gives me that requires a signature to transport for field trips, for those of you who were concerned about it in the other thread (please excuse the mark outs, I just realized I didn't have a blank copy...time to order more!)
Wow crystal. That must be by county. I also ended up calling my analyst after that thread and she said licensing did not over see transpiration regulations only could enforce that we follow ca state laws.

Or maybe it's a VIP form. You have been doing child care much longer than me ...
daycare 05:36 PM 04-29-2013
I agree....but this regulation is VERY clearly defined in the regulation book......no getting around it when it is spelled out in black and white. No licensor could or would challenge it.
I agree!! No qualms here sister!! Lol
Crystal 05:43 PM 04-29-2013
Wow crystal. That must be by county. I also ended up calling my analyst after that thread and she said licensing did not over see transpiration regulations only could enforce that we follow ca state laws.

Or maybe it's a VIP form. You have been doing child care much longer than me ...
I do think it is a county thing now. Initially I just assumed every county used the form, but it is nowhere on the licensing site so it must be Sac County
Michelle 05:45 PM 04-29-2013
I will get back to this issue tomorrow.
I called my lic. rep and they were closed.
daycare 05:47 PM 04-29-2013
I do think it is a county thing now. Initially I just assumed every county used the form, but it is nowhere on the licensing site so it must be Sac County
You scared the crap outta me. But it was a good thing. Lol
nannyde 05:54 PM 04-29-2013
Well, I do and it is worth it.
I would never do anything that will cause me to lose my license and put kids at risk.
My dh won't even leave me alone when a repairman is here.

Luckily my very talented hubby and sons can fix just about anything!
See that's exactly the point. The state has to realize that child care providers most likely do not have a free and immediate worker who can repair all the endless possibilities that could occur in a home or center setting. Requiring all repairs being done sans kids would put a helluva burden on child care providers. There is just too many situations where it would inconvenience the parents to remove their kids in order to have repairmen come to fix something that couldn't wait without safety issues or serious damage to the property. What you are saying just doesn't make sense.
countrymom 06:34 PM 04-29-2013
really I find it stupid you can't have a repair man. My dishwasher is broken and they only work till 5pm, so he has to come during daycare hours and where I live I can't be picky when he comes. Its still not fixed and they have to come out again. As a matter of fact, the kids annoy them so much that they work faster to get out of my house faster.
daycare 06:38 PM 04-29-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
really I find it stupid you can't have a repair man. My dishwasher is broken and they only work till 5pm, so he has to come during daycare hours and where I live I can't be picky when he comes. Its still not fixed and they have to come out again. As a matter of fact, the kids annoy them so much that they work faster to get out of my house faster.
Lol. We can have them come. At least in northern CA we can.

I had a poop flowing toilet and a broken front window repaired during Daycre hours. It's not ideal, but when it's needed it's needed.
sharlan 06:43 PM 04-29-2013
Crystal, I have never seen that form. Is there a LIC # on it anywhere?
momofboys 06:43 PM 04-29-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:

sharlan 06:47 PM 04-29-2013
Here we go again with the inconsistencies of CA DSS-CCL. What is allowed in one county is not allowed in another.
Little Star75 06:56 PM 04-29-2013
I'm in California and I was told by licensing that's as long as the "other" person, repairman, homeschool teacher, etc aren't having direct interaction with the children that its ok. Not sure what the argument here is but as matter of fact I just called licensing last week asking about my daughters homeschool teacher. Her teacher has always come after hours but next school year she will be available only during the day, because I didn't want anyone else I called licensing to make sure if it was ok for the teacher to be here during business hours. I spoke to my licensor and said "as long as she does not have direct contact with the children, then it's ok"
Crystal 07:03 PM 04-29-2013
I am allowed to have student teachers here for up to 15 hours per week (each student) without a background check. As is seen in the link/info I posted. I even called to verify. They just cannot be left alone with the children.

There is absolutley NO regulation that says you cannot have repair persons on the premises during hours without a background check.
mom2many 07:16 PM 04-29-2013
Interesting... I don't have this form and even re-checked my blue immunization cards, because I saw whooping cough, etc. on this one. CA needs to get it together! Geez this is craziness!
daycare 07:18 PM 04-29-2013
Originally Posted by mom2many:
Interesting... I don't have this form and even re-checked my blue immunization cards, because I saw whooping cough, etc. on this one. CA needs to get it together! Geez this is craziness!
My blue cards are white lol. Does this matter?? Lol.
daycare 07:20 PM 04-29-2013
I think we need to Rename this thread
California confusion.....

Lol.
mom2many 07:52 PM 04-29-2013
I think we need to Rename this thread
California confusion.....

Lol.
It's time for some wine!!!!
Blackcat31 07:55 PM 04-29-2013
My blue cards are white lol.
that's funny!!!

...... This whole thread is like "Who's on First?"
Michelle 08:01 PM 04-29-2013

See that's exactly the point. The state has to realize that child care providers most likely do not have a free and immediate worker who can repair all the endless possibilities that could occur in a home or center setting. Requiring all repairs being done sans kids would put a helluva burden on child care providers. There is just too many situations where it would inconvenience the parents to remove their kids in order to have repairmen come to fix something that couldn't wait without safety issues or serious damage to the property. What you are saying just doesn't make sense.
I don't make the regs .. I just follow them
Michelle 08:02 PM 04-29-2013
It's time for some wine!!!!
you know.... I don't drink but I am willing to take you up on that one!

daycare 08:07 PM 04-29-2013
This whole thread is cracking me up.
Michelle 08:11 PM 04-29-2013
Funny fact! I ran out of the blue cards and my licenser said to just write "blue Card" on the top!
daycare 08:27 PM 04-29-2013
Funny fact! I ran out of the blue cards and my licenser said to just write "blue Card" on the top!
Lmao hahahahahahahahahaa that is so stinkin funny!
sharlan 09:52 PM 04-29-2013
I was told that if I ran out of blue cards, to make sure I printed them on blue paper. That hasn't been an issue as I just call the county health department and they mail me a stack.
daycare 09:59 PM 04-29-2013
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I was told that if I ran out of blue cards, to make sure I printed them on blue paper. That hasn't been an issue as I just call the county health department and they mail me a stack.
What are you serious. ??
Crystal 07:09 AM 04-30-2013
Same here.
Michelle 07:22 AM 04-30-2013
yep, every lic. rep is different!
I have been spoiled with an awesome rep for the last 3 years. I have always passed every inspection I have had with flying colors..(12 years) She told me last time that she would be retiring and I am a little sad.

But the one thing every rep has told me personally and at the orientation meeting is ,NO adults in the home unless they are finger printed. I really like this reg...It gives me the perfect excuse to keep out anyone that I don't want in here!
sharlan 07:27 AM 04-30-2013
What are you serious. ??
Yep, it's what I was told by my analyst.

I have passed every inspection in the past 29 years, except for the last one that I got written up for the 2 tomato plants - Class A citation. We have no garden this year.
Blackcat31 07:31 AM 04-30-2013
yep, every lic. rep is different!
Obviously California regulations/rules are VERY open to interpretation depending on which licensor or area you live in........so

I have always passed every inspection I have had with flying colors
if that is the case ^^ Does passing an inspection with flying colors REALLY mean anything?

* I am NOT being snarky......really I am not.

But if licensors/agencies in California can't even agree on ONE basic set of rules, then a perfect inspection record really doesn't mean much.

Especially considering the fact that if any other licensor or agency did the inspection some things you normally do wouldn't pass then, right?

I feel really badly for providers in your state because the rules/regs are so confusing and complex and even worse for the parents as they really have no way of knowing if their provider is following the correct or incorrectly interpreted regulations.
Crystal 07:55 AM 04-30-2013
I had mentioned it before and am still very serious about conducting a research study on the Cali Regs from county to county.

Give me a couple of weeks to finish some stuff I am doing here and I will develop a Methodology and start a research group in the social groups section on the forum. I will invite all Cali girls to participate.

Seriously, something NEEDS to be done about the lack of consistency.
Country Kids 08:04 AM 04-30-2013
I had mentioned it before and am still very serious about conducting a research study on the Cali Regs from county to county.

Give me a couple of weeks to finish some stuff I am doing here and I will develop a Methodology and start a research group in the social groups section on the forum. I will invite all Cali girls to participate.

Does every county in CA. have its own rules/reg. book for childcare?

If not, how come there are soooooo many different rules and regulations then. Thats what would concern me first! I can't believe that if there is only one book, that each county can have their own set of rules they follow.

Our state has one book for rules/reg. depending on what level of childcare you do=registered/certified/center would each have their own book.

I know our licensors can have their own interpertation but they are really cracking down on them and I believe its making a huge difference here.

After looking at the link you guys do that show the rules/regs., you guys really don't have alot. Also, it seems there aren't alot of safety rules in place or maybe I just wasn't looking at it correctly as it was a little hard to read on line.
daycare 08:11 AM 04-30-2013
I have done child care in south and north califorbia

Licensing rules stayed exactly the same. City and county rules were the only difference. Which really still didn't have an impact on rules or regs
Country Kids 08:21 AM 04-30-2013
I have done child care in south and north califorbia

Licensing rules stayed exactly the same. City and county rules were the only difference. Which really still didn't have an impact on rules or regs
So cities and counties have rules for childcare? I have never heard of this!

It just sounds sooooo confusing!
daycare 08:24 AM 04-30-2013
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
So cities and counties have rules for childcare? I have never heard of this!

It just sounds sooooo confusing!
Noo sorry not rules for the children just more on the business side
Country Kids 08:27 AM 04-30-2013
Noo sorry not rules for the children just more on the business side
OK, that I understand!

I just seriously don't understand though how there can be so many "different" rules. Especially if there is only one rules/reg. book!
daycare 08:49 AM 04-30-2013
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
OK, that I understand!

I just seriously don't understand though how there can be so many "different" rules. Especially if there is only one rules/reg. book!
I think the issue is that it's that licensing has the power to read the rules as they see fit. They determine them how they want and there is nothing that states they can't.
sharlan 08:58 AM 04-30-2013
I think the issue is that it's that licensing has the power to read the rules as they see fit. They determine them how they want and there is nothing that states they can't.
Yes, it appears that everything in Title 22 Regulations, all 80 pages of it, is open to individual interpretation of the analysts.
mom2many 09:00 AM 04-30-2013

I would LOVE to see something done! I have been frustrated for years with the lack of consistency regarding licensing regs and would be happy to invest time in this research.
Michelle 09:03 AM 04-30-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Obviously California regulations/rules are VERY open to interpretation depending on which licensor or area you live in........so

if that is the case ^^ Does passing an inspection with flying colors REALLY mean anything?

* I am NOT being snarky......really I am not.

But if licensors/agencies in California can't even agree on ONE basic set of rules, then a perfect inspection record really doesn't mean much.

Especially considering the fact that if any other licensor or agency did the inspection some things you normally do wouldn't pass then, right?

I feel really badly for providers in your state because the rules/regs are so confusing and complex and even worse for the parents as they really have no way of knowing if their provider is following the correct or incorrectly interpreted regulations.
Actually yes!
We are not allowed to have all the baby equipment that most states are allowed. Taking care of babies is a little harder for us because we don't have the luxury of putting baby in a bouncy seat or stationary activity (walker) for just a minute to take someone to the bathroom, or make lunch, we can't have them safely in the crib in the living room playing with toys when the toddlers are being extra energetic ( to protect them... not leave them there all day) In a lot of ways, our regs. are more strict than most states and when we pass every surprise inspection, then we are doing a great job!
So, yes I would rather follow the rules to the letter than to say to a licenser..." well Bubba is here to fix my sink because Nan's toilet exploded everywhere and she did it! "or Crystal says I can have an array of people here around these kids because she said "as long as it is for a good reason"

Nope, not going to happen! I would not do that to these kids, my own daughter, or my business!
Blackcat31 09:16 AM 04-30-2013
Actually yes!
We are not allowed to have all the baby equipment that most states are allowed. Taking care of babies is a little harder for us because we don't have the luxury of putting baby in a bouncy seat or stationary activity (walker) for just a minute to take someone to the bathroom, or make lunch, we can't have them safely in the crib in the living room playing with toys when the toddlers are being extra energetic ( to protect them... not leave them there all day) In a lot of ways, our regs. are more strict than most states and when we pass every surprise inspection, then we are doing a great job!
So, yes I would rather follow the rules to the letter than to say to a licenser..." well Bubba is here to fix my sink because Nan's toilet exploded everywhere and she did it! "or Crystal says I can have an array of people here around these kids because she said "as long as it is for a good reason"

Nope, not going to happen! I would not do that to these kids, my own daughter, or my business!
I think you are missing my point. I am saying it is virtually impossible for you to follow the rules to the letter since there are NO clear rules and regs to follow.

When you say that you pass surprise inspections with flying colors, that means nothing as the inspection wasn't the SAME inspection the provider in the next county receives since it seems ALL areas of California follow the rules as they believe them to be, which isn't at all similar to one another.

Also, since you brought up the infant equipment topic, there are many states that don't allow use of infant equipment. My state is NOT one of them but I don't use ANY infant equipment at all. I care for 12 children daily ranging in age from 4 months to 5 years old and I have never had an issue using the rest room or leaving the room for a minute while an infant is present.

My older kids are trained well.
daycare 09:25 AM 04-30-2013
I think you are missing my point. I am saying it is virtually impossible for you to follow the rules to the letter since there are NO clear rules and regs to follow.

When you say that you pass surprise inspections with flying colors, that means nothing as the inspection wasn't the SAME inspection the provider in the next county receives since it seems ALL areas of California follow the rules as they believe them to be, which isn't at all similar to one another.

Also, since you brought up the infant equipment topic, there are many states that don't allow use of infant equipment. My state is NOT one of them but I don't use ANY infant equipment at all. I care for 12 children daily ranging in age from 4 months to 5 years old and I have never had an issue using the rest room or leaving the room for a minute while an infant is present.

This is so true! One of my friends that lives 2 miles down the road we both get inspection about one month ago.

I passed, she didn't. We had the same women. She was written up for her bathroom trash can no lid, but it was under the bathroom sink cupboard. Mine was exactly the same but I did not get the write up.

Not sure if the licensor missed it or just didn't care the day she was at my house.
My friend also got write up for a bird bath she has in her front yard, even though its empty?...

We still can't figure it out.

You never know what to expect when they come
sharlan 09:28 AM 04-30-2013
This is on page 50 of the Health and Safety Code.

1596.871. Fingerprints and criminal record information of individuals in contact with child day care facility clients; exemptions; criminal records clearances.

The Legislature recognizes the need to generate timely and accurate positive fingerprint identification of applicants as a condition of issuing licenses, permits, or certificates of approval for persons to operate or provide direct care services in a child care center or family child care home. It is the intent of the Legislature in enacting this section to require the fingerprints of those individuals whose contact with child day care facility clients may pose a risk to the children's health and safety. An individual shall be required to obtain either a criminal record clearance or a criminal record exemption from the State Department of Social Services before his or her initial presence in a child day care facility.

(iii) A volunteer who is a relative, legal guardian, or foster parent of a client in the facility shall be exempt from the requirements of this subdivision.
(iv) A contracted repair person retained by the facility, if not left alone with children in care, shall be exempt from the requirements of this subdivision.
sharlan 09:31 AM 04-30-2013
This is so true! One of my friends that lives 2 miles down the road we both get inspection about one month ago.

I passed, she didn't. We had the same women. She was written up for her bathroom trash can no lid, but it was under the bathroom sink cupboard. Mine was exactly the same but I did not get the write up.

Not sure if the licensor missed it or just didn't care the day she was at my house.
My friend also got write up for a bird bath she has in her front yard, even though its empty?...

Yes, that's so true. I got written up for my tomato plants, but someone else one here that lives a few miles away, in the next city, next county, didn't get written up.
mom2many 09:37 AM 04-30-2013

This absolutely true! I had an unannounced visit in July 2009 and everything was 100% in compliance. In Jan 2010 another licensing rep came out and said my bathroom vanity did not have the proper childproof locks. She said that in "her opinion" the tot locks (magnetic locks) are the only ones deemed "inaccessible" and that in Santa Clara Co. they wanted providers to use these. I was told this is not mandated statewide. Each county is different, because they cannot agree on this!

The regs only state that items need to "inaccessible" so it really is up to an individual and how they interpret this. I had no issue using this new type of childproof lock, but did object with being cited for something that had been approved just 6 months earlier and had been used for over 20 years with no issues at all.

I wish regs were more black and white in CA. I'm all for following rules...just be "CLEAR" and "CONSISTENT" what they are!!!!!
mom2many 09:46 AM 04-30-2013

So VERY true!

I had an empty birdbath for years and no one said anything about it...then this past summer the licensing analyst said she wanted it filled with little rocks even though it was empty. I wasn't cited for it though and just did as she wished.

I've never heard of a trash can needing a lid...
daycare 09:54 AM 04-30-2013
So VERY true!

I had an empty birdbath for years and no one said anything about it...then this past summer the licensing analyst said she wanted it filled with little rocks even though it was empty. I wasn't cited for it though and just did as she wished.

Me either.... Like we all say here.... Who knows!!!!
sharlan 10:00 AM 04-30-2013
I was asked to cover the tops of my air conditioning units with a wire mesh so that the kids could not drop rocks in them. It is not in the regs, just something my analyst asked because they had had several reports of injuries from kids dropping rocks in and the fan blades kicking them back out.

I was not written up, but it is in the report that the analyst must have access to my dh's gun safe on his next visit. It is in a locked garage, BEHIND a tent trailer. If I can't get into it, how in the world are the kids going to? I didn't know where the keys were, but it's in my report that I must know where the keys are and grant the analyst access.

Those are things that my analyst asked for, they are nowhere in the Title 22 Regs or Health and Safety Codes.

A neighbor was told by a different analyst that she had to have locks on all upstairs doors and they had to remain locked during the day, even though the kids do not have access to the upstairs. She was told an older child could climb the gate at the base of the stairs and go upstairs so they had to be locked.
sharlan 10:04 AM 04-30-2013
So VERY true!

My kitchen trash has to have a lid, my bathrooms don't.
Jewels 10:07 AM 04-30-2013
I may not be in california, but not having anyone ever in the house to fix or do something, not happening, I have my carpets cleaned 4x per year, and its always when the kids are here, but we all go somewhere else in the house to let them do there thing, in the spring/summer/fall we go outside. If my toilet were to explode, um I'm pretty sure there is NO WAY I would wait until all children were gone to have someone come and fix it. That would be ridiculous.
daycare 10:08 AM 04-30-2013
My kitchen trash has to have a lid, my bathrooms don't.
Lol what??????????? Oh wow I have a headache now...
RosieMommy 10:10 AM 04-30-2013
As a parent, I absolutely do not agree with a provider transporting a child they had no permission to transport. Period. Our provider does transport and I'm fine with it as long as I know she's doing it. They do field trips etc and she always lets the parents know what is going on and what day. But of course always read the contract and if there's something in there you don't like, talk about it and modify if possible.
sharlan 10:16 AM 04-30-2013
Lol what??????????? Oh wow I have a headache now...
Don't we all when it comes to DSS-CCL?
Crystal 11:02 AM 04-30-2013
Actually yes!
So, yes I would rather follow the rules to the letter than to say to a licenser..." well Bubba is here to fix my sink because Nan's toilet exploded everywhere and she did it! "or Crystal says I can have an array of people here around these kids because she said "as long as it is for a good reason" Nope, not going to happen! I would not do that to these kids, my own daughter, or my business!
I don't know what your problem is, but you really need to quit being insulting. No one has insulted you, yet you have done so to others several times.

I DO know what I am talking about, and I follow the regs very closely. I certainly would not say it is okay to allow repair persons in if it was against the regulations.

I think you have misunderstood the regulation that anyone RESIDING in your home who is over the age of 18 must be fingerprinted or anyone WORKING IN THE DAYCARE as an EMPLOYEE working WITH the children over the age of 18 must be fingerprinted with what is required/not required with repair persons or volunteers.

It is GREAT that you CHOOSE not to allow it, and is certainly your perogative, but, just like with your orignal post in this thread being insulting to providers who CHOOSE not to transport, your insinuation that those of who allow repair persons in during hours are putting children at risk is JUST as insulting.

And, on another note, I find it interesting that you won't allow strangers around the kids in your home, but have absolutley no problem doing so on a regular basis in public spaces.
Willow 11:18 AM 04-30-2013

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Jp78zRItBvg/T0hJxGkkStI/AAAAAAAACDg/33v5RFzERNs/s320/DRAMA-LLAMA-NOTAWESOMESAUCE.jpg

Blackcat31 11:19 AM 04-30-2013

And, on another note, I find it interesting that you won't allow strangers around the kids in your home, but have absolutley no problem doing so on a regular basis in public spaces.
I noticed this discrepancy as well.

You (OP) have stated several time sin this thread that you go ABOVE and BEYOND to secure the safety of your DCK's and wouldn't do anything that would risk or jeopardize their safety but yet you are willing to take them on field trips and outings off site.

I keep mine ON-SITE for that very reason.

.....to NOT add additional liability, to NOT expose them to ANYONE other than myself, other DCP's and licensing and food program staff.

I am so freaked out about making sure that I do my absolute best to keep these kiddos safe that I am NOT willing to do ANY sort of off site activity.

Parents can do those thing when THEY are the ones responsible for their own child.

(fwiw I am NOT dissing anyone who does off site field trips. I just choose NOT to based on my own personal feelings.)
Crystal 11:31 AM 04-30-2013

daycare 11:41 AM 04-30-2013
Lmao hahahahha. I had to read that many times understand it. you ladies are funny
mema 12:08 PM 04-30-2013

Guess I need to go back and read this whole thread. Missed my weekend reading since the weather was nice and yesterday too, but it must be a good one to get this
EntropyControlSpecialist 12:11 PM 04-30-2013
My head is spinning from all the mess about the California regulations. Holy cow.

I hope California is able to have the same regulations in every county soon. That is just too much!

Crystal 12:37 PM 04-30-2013
they said that the parents can be there to pick up and drop off only.

I know and the next question would be "what about the park? " do they have to be fingerprinted too?" the answer is.. the facility is licensed... not the person..so if you take the kids somewhere they must be safe, fed and secure but licensing does not get into anything more than what is going on at your home or if something happens outside your home..
Hmmmm.....in the regs and on the notification of parents' rights sheet (lic 995A) it says that parents have the right to "enter and inspect the family child care home without advance notice whenever children are in care". So, would that mean they need a background check to do so?
Crystal 12:38 PM 04-30-2013
So, what did licensing say when you called?
Crystal 12:50 PM 04-30-2013
I noticed this discrepancy as well.

You (OP) have stated several time sin this thread that you go ABOVE and BEYOND to secure the safety of your DCK's and wouldn't do anything that would risk or jeopardize their safety but yet you are willing to take them on field trips and outings off site.

I keep mine ON-SITE for that very reason.

.....to NOT add additional liability, to NOT expose them to ANYONE other than myself, other DCP's and licensing and food program staff.

I am so freaked out about making sure that I do my absolute best to keep these kiddos safe that I am NOT willing to do ANY sort of off site activity.

Parents can do those thing when THEY are the ones responsible for their own child.

(fwiw I am NOT dissing anyone who does off site field trips. I just choose NOT to based on my own personal feelings.)
Exactly my point. I can think of NUMEROUS issues that could arise taking kids off property. Even with three adults there are MANY, MANY things that could happen. Far more dangerous than staying home and having someone fix a toilet, IMO.

Now, I am not saying providers shouldn't do trips and shouldn't take the risk.....there are plenty who do and it has never been, and most likely never will be a problem. BUT, it IS more of a risk than staying on property.

Shoot, we went on a trip to the pumpkin patch with our families a few years ago, had three providers and 6 parents there and STILL one Mom "lost" her kid. Fortunately I had all of the kids wear orange that day so a quick glance to the FAR END of the pumpkin patch on a playground we spotted him. Glad I wasn't the one responsible for him
sharlan 12:56 PM 04-30-2013
Exactly my point. I can think of NUMEROUS issues that could arise taking kids off property. Even with three adults there are MANY, MANY things that could happen. Far more dangerous than staying home and having someone fix a toilet, IMO.

Now, I am not saying providers shouldn't do trips and shouldn't take the risk.....there are plenty who do and it has never been, and most likely never will be a problem. BUT, it IS more of a risk than staying on property.

Shoot, we went on a trip to the pumpkin patch with our families a few years ago, had three providers and 6 parents there and STILL one Mom "lost" her kid. Fortunately I had all of the kids wear orange that day so a quick glance to the FAR END of the pumpkin patch on a playground we spotted him. Glad I wasn't the one responsible for him
My kids wear "safety green" and so do the adults.
Crystal 01:04 PM 04-30-2013
My kids wear "safety green" and so do the adults.
Yeah....I always have the group where a specific color when we have outings. One, it is obvious to others they are part of the group and Two, we can spot them more easily if they do happen to wander away. I would love to do regular outings with the kids, but with 14 children, it is just too much hassle and liability. So, we plan trips with the families so that they are responsible for thier own children.
daycare 01:06 PM 04-30-2013
I find that more adult I have the more issues come up...

Like oh I thought you had him, no I thought you did...
Michelle 01:19 PM 04-30-2013
OK we just got back from Gymnastics and I finally had time to call licensing.
The lady that answered the phone did say that any adult that is not fingerprinted can be in the home ...which is not what I was told at my orientation, at every home visit and every social worker I have talked to. ( I have some foster kids)

She even went on to say that we can have dance instructors come in and teach dance class without them being finger printed!

I told her what I was told and she said it is really up to each analysts interpretation ... I personally would not want workers in here with saws and tools... even with excellent supervision.. it's unprofessional and dangerous.

So, you can do what you want.. I am not changing how I do things.
My parents really appreciate how I protect the kids.
I even had a plumber waiting outside in the street until the last kids got picked up.(He was suppose to come at 7pm but he showed up at 5pm) and some of the parents asked me what's going on? I told them I was waiting til the kids got picked up and they told each other.." I knew she was awesome)

As far as the outings go..like I said before nobody touches my babies!
I take them to dance class on Fridays and Gymnastics on Tuesdays and it's like a Mommy and Me class.. we go to the Zoo , Museums, Aquariums etc. and they are in strollers and walking ropes or holding our hands. We are always in constant direct supervision.
Crystal 01:20 PM 04-30-2013
Thank you.
Michelle 01:25 PM 04-30-2013
On a side note... we all wear bright shockingly yellow shirts with my name, logo, and phone number on it.
I have never lost a kid and I have had down syndrome,autistic and very energetic kids.
We take all 14 kids and have never had a problem.
sharlan 01:39 PM 04-30-2013
Being a "small family" I never have more than 6 or 7 kids on an outing. I always have a ratio of AT LEAST 2 kids per adult. My last outing to the LA Zoo was 7 kids and 4 adults, with 4 of the kids in strollers.
Michelle 02:03 PM 04-30-2013
Yeah....I always have the group where a specific color when we have outings. One, it is obvious to others they are part of the group and Two, we can spot them more easily if they do happen to wander away. I would love to do regular outings with the kids, but with 14 children, it is just too much hassle and liability. So, we plan trips with the families so that they are responsible for thier own children.

we are just really good at what we do.. it's no hassle at all for me..
Michelle 02:05 PM 04-30-2013
Being a "small family" I never have more than 6 or 7 kids on an outing. I always have a ratio of AT LEAST 2 kids per adult. My last outing to the LA Zoo was 7 kids and 4 adults, with 4 of the kids in strollers.
We have 14 in the Summer and I hire my 2 fingerprinted college students that are studying for their Early Childhood degrees ..So we usually have 4-5 adults
daycare 02:11 PM 04-30-2013
Very true. After doing it for awhile you get a really good system down. My dcp are amazed at what I do with my DCKs....
daycare 02:12 PM 04-30-2013
We have 14 in the Summer and I hire my 2 fingerprinted college students that are studying for their Early Childhood degrees ..So we usually have 4-5 adults
That's a lot of people in one place. Lol. Is your house really big?
Michelle 02:13 PM 04-30-2013
Thank you.
why are you happy?
This is terrible news for children in daycare.
This means any family daycare provider can just invite whoever they want over and hang out... not everyone is as careful as we are.
This should be very sad news for you, Crystal
Michelle 02:14 PM 04-30-2013
That's a lot of people in one place. Lol. Is your house really big?
2,500 square feet and a park like yard...complete with a $4,000 child life playground
Crystal 02:22 PM 04-30-2013
why are you happy?
This means any family daycare provider can just invite whoever they want over and hang out... not everyone is as careful as we are.
First of all, who said I was happy? I was thanking you for your reply. Good grief.

Secondly, I do NOT think it is "terrible news". I think it would be terrible news if I had to leave crap water flowing all over the place while children are in care because I couldn't have a plumber come fix the toilet during hours.

Third, it does NOT mean providers can invite people to hang out. The regs very specifically state who can and cannot be there.

I am not sure why this should be "sad news" for me, but again, your insulting, condescending crap is REALLY uncalled for. MY goodness, get over yourself already.

You seem to have a superiority complex of some sort, and frankly, I am not sure why.
daycare 02:43 PM 04-30-2013
I'm sending you both to time out! Do behave.
Crystal 02:47 PM 04-30-2013
I'm sending you both to time out! Do behave.
Sorry, but I disagree with you. I have been insulted several times and do not appreciate it. Why should I not say something to someone who is intentionally trying to make me look bad?
daycare 02:50 PM 04-30-2013
Sorry, but I disagree with you. I have been insulted several times and do not appreciate it. Why should I not say something to someone who is intentionally trying to make me look bad?
Two wrongs don't make a right.
sharlan 02:51 PM 04-30-2013
why are you happy?
I don't necessarily see this as "terrible news". It is what it is and it isn't a regulation. It never was.

As providers we need to protect our children and our businesses. As parents, they need to know what is going on in their daycare.

As a parent, I didn't ask questions, I blindly accepted the fact that my children were well cared for. As a parent, it was my responsibility to see to it that my kids were safe. It was not the State's. My kids never complained, but I have enough horror stories that my kids endured that would turn all parents against home daycares. Everything from darts thrown at my youngest, the babysitter being arrested for shoplifting with my kids present, my kids locked outside in the front yard for hours on end.
daycare 02:51 PM 04-30-2013
Two wrongs don't make a right.
I hold you to a higher regard crystal. I really look up to you and guess I expect you to be above the nonsense.

I'm sure if one of your DCks said you suck to another and the recipient of the name calling punched the other kid in the face you would not be ok with it.
Michelle 02:57 PM 04-30-2013
This is not for anyone in particular...

Something that I have believed, bragged about , even put on my website for 13 years .....that all adults must pass a criminal clearance is shattered!
This is very upsetting to me!

I think we all know of those unprofessional, lazy, woman who just turn on the TV, feed them junk food and lets anyone in her home( boy friend,friends, whoever!) ... then clear them out before parents come to make it look good for pickup time.

All they have to do if licensing comes is throw on a plumbers shirt dive under the sink and get away with it!

For all of us doing things the right way... we should be shocked, disappointed, and scared that one of these days, this lazy provider is going to be on the news ...first of all endangering children and also making us look unprofessional and unregulated!
Like I said before I was not gifted with ability to put into words what I am trying to say... but I love children and my job, and this scares me!

Parents sure have a false sense of security these days
Willow 03:03 PM 04-30-2013
I seriously hope you didn't intend that as it's reading.......
daycare 03:06 PM 04-30-2013
I have a hard time relating to what your saying because I never thought we couldn't have people in the house as you did.

I don't ever have visitors and try my best to not schedule home maintance on weekdays.

I think that those who are bad people doing things like you suggested are doing more than just inviting friends over. Parents are the ones responsible for checking out the Daycre and making the decision of where they woul like their child to attend. Warranted the provider accept them.

I'm sorry your upset to find this out, not sure how it will change your program. Maybe just keep doing things the way you are doing them. It's your final decision who will or will not be around the kids.
Tags:parents thread
1 2 3 
Reply Up