Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>So Mad....
KBCsMommy 01:46 PM 10-25-2011
My dcb who is almost 8 months has not been sleeping at all

Dcm took a few days off 2 weeks ago Fri Mon and Tues so 5 days all together. Dcb came back on Wednesday a mess. Cried all day wouldnt eat wouldnt sleep.
Learned a new trick...standing in the pnp. Decided to get him a sleep sack. It still hasnt arrived yet. Im praying to G-D that the thing works and will keep him from climbing to stand.

So since he has started his new trick, hes decided that he doesnt need to sleep anymore either. He takes short naps and then climbs and stands and screams.

Morning naps are fine he goes right to sleep. Sleeps 8:30 to 10.

But for get the afternoon naps he goes to sleep for 15 minutes then he is up and he literally will cry for 2 hours until naptime is over. Then he is fussy and cranky and tired for the rest of the afternoon.

Now his mom is saying that hes sleeping from 5:30 to 7:30 at night and shes upset that she doesnt get to spend any time with him.

This is going on for 2 weeks. Im pissed because I had worked so hard to get him on an awesome nap schedule. He wasnt even crying when he would go down for his naps before, and now he wont even nap.

So what do I do now....I can let him scream but Im getting no where fast. And he keeps up all the other kids. He is in his own room but the kids can still hear him screaming over nap music.

Sorry -this a vent but I need some feedback!!
cheerfuldom 01:49 PM 10-25-2011
keep him on a schedule. get him up after nap time is over in the afternoon, feed him and put him back to bed if he cannot participate with the group. eliminate that last part whenever he starts taking his afternoon nap on time again. it should only be a week or two to get him back on track. you might have to teach him to get down from a standing position, its possible he literally cannot get down in order to lay down.
Christian Mother 02:03 PM 10-25-2011
Yes, def. keep him to your schedule that you've already set up. I agree it will take a wk or 2 to get him back on track. But, unless he is climbing out of the pnp don't go in to sooth. He needs to find his own soothing means again. Same routine ever day. I think about a yr is when I transition to just one nap after lunch for about 2-3 hrs and that seems perfect for my 2yrs olds. There ready to get up after a 3 hr nap and then there ready to go to bed at night for their parents. Good luck..hope your week gets better!
KBCsMommy 02:19 PM 10-25-2011
I keep the same schedule every day no matter what.
And he can get down, when I go in hes either sitting crying or standing crying.

But it seems every Monday Im back at square one with this lil guy.

I have no problem keeping him up with out a nap if hes happy....but hes not happy at all.

His mom is not any help so I dont know if this is part of the issue. Weekends are busy and they are on the go.

And the other infants I have dont have any issues at all. Monday is just another day to them.

Yesterday it was a 40 min afternoon nap then crying and fussing all afternoon. I tried to put him down several times but he would just get mad everytime!

Today 15 minute nap and hes been screaming ever since....

Do you think thats just how he is?!!
nannyde 02:43 PM 10-25-2011
There's a couple of days... sometimes a week when they first learn to pull up where they can pull up but not get down. They are afraid of falling straight backwards so they just cling for dear life.

Best thing to do is put a mitted sweatshirt over his clothes for nap. He will be able to pull up but he won't be able to hold onto the sides of it for very long. He won't be able to grasp the top rail for more than a minute or so.

That way he'll figure out how to drop backward on his butt. He'll get a TON of practice in one nap. Up and down... up and down. Once he can easily drop back down on his butt he will quit it.

It takes maybe thirty to fifty drop downs before they GET that they can do it without falling STRAIGHT backwards.

What is most likely happening is that he is grasping the top rail so tightly and staying up for so long on unexperienced legs that he is having hand pain AND having leg quivvering.... He's not used to supporting his body wieght with his hands and legs.

So he's probably fatiguing quickly but holding on for dear life because he doesn't know how to butt drop.

The mitted sweatshirt should solve that. When he DOES drop down he will do it when he is still strong... and not hurting. He will naturally learn how to do it by experience when he is not fatigued... to guide himself down the side mesh and then land on his butt.
harperluu 02:50 PM 10-25-2011
I would first attempt to adjust that morning nap. Hold him up 15 or 20 minutes passed when he'd normally go down (around 8:50 or so) and cut it short to 9:45.

What does DCM say his nap schedule is at home? I have had several clients that had DCK that would get up really early at home and were ready for naps at 10:30. They'd sleep for 2.5 hours and up by 1:00 pm. They were exhausted by the end of the day. I had a terrible time getting them back on track here. They always seemed tired and cranky or fussy. They frequently fell asleep at meals or cried when they were put down. When DCP go against the normal schedule during the week, it's almost like a 2nd shifter switching to days. It creates chaos in their little bodies.

I'd be interested to know what she has to share. How does she get him to sleep for the afternoon nap? Does she nap with him. Does he take one at all or does it end up being closer to 3:30? What does she do when he naps for a short nap and won't go back down? What is her routine? Is he nursing?
KBCsMommy 03:10 PM 10-25-2011
Originally Posted by harperluu:
I would first attempt to adjust that morning nap. Hold him up 15 or 20 minutes passed when he'd normally go down (around 8:50 or so) and cut it short to 9:45.

What does DCM say his nap schedule is at home? I have had several clients that had DCK that would get up really early at home and were ready for naps at 10:30. They'd sleep for 2.5 hours and up by 1:00 pm. They were exhausted by the end of the day. I had a terrible time getting them back on track here. They always seemed tired and cranky or fussy. They frequently fell asleep at meals or cried when they were put down. When DCP go against the normal schedule during the week, it's almost like a 2nd shifter switching to days. It creates chaos in their little bodies.

I'd be interested to know what she has to share. How does she get him to sleep for the afternoon nap? Does she nap with him. Does he take one at all or does it end up being closer to 3:30? What does she do when he naps for a short nap and won't go back down? What is her routine? Is he nursing?
Harper- at home dcm either rocks him to sleep, or he just sleeps where he passes out ( hes an early crawler). Or the best one, she says he doesnt need a nap because he wasnt tired. I get a different story from her every week!
She has no routine with him, they are very busy parents. He has no bedtime routine. And falls asleep anywhere from 7:30 to 11 at night. And has no morning routine either. He gets up anywhere from 5 in the morning to 7 am.
Yesterday he was up at 7 am and this morning she said he was up at 4:30 then slept from 5-7 am.
Hes on formula not nursing.
Like i said in my original post I start at square one every Monday!!!
cheerfuldom 03:32 PM 10-25-2011
sounds clear that mom is no help. keep him on your schedule, do not cut the naps shorter.
KBCsMommy 03:44 PM 10-25-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
sounds clear that mom is no help. keep him on your schedule, do not cut the naps shorter.
I think your right!! Thanks for the support!!

Mitted shirt is being made tonite too!!
nannyde 05:07 PM 10-25-2011
Originally Posted by KBCsMommy:
I think your right!! Thanks for the support!!

Mitted shirt is being made tonite too!!
Hopefully it will help him. He probably just needs a few days to figure out how to get up and down.

Is he hysterical crying after he's been up for a while? Can he get up and down when he's cruising the floor?

When you go in and check on him have you tried putting him back down? Is he popping back up right away even when he's obviously tired?

I've had a ton of babies do that.

When they are up and can't get down you always have to watch for them doing forehead rubbing on the side mesh, playpen bottom, and the railing. They will use their foreheads to balance their heavy heads when they are really tired. Check for that when you are doing your nap checks.
KBCsMommy 05:35 PM 10-25-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Hopefully it will help him. He probably just needs a few days to figure out how to get up and down.

Is he hysterical crying after he's been up for a while? Can he get up and down when he's cruising the floor?

When you go in and check on him have you tried putting him back down? Is he popping back up right away even when he's obviously tired?

I've had a ton of babies do that.

When they are up and can't get down you always have to watch for them doing forehead rubbing on the side mesh, playpen bottom, and the railing. They will use their foreheads to balance their heavy heads when they are really tired. Check for that when you are doing your nap checks.
He only gets hysterical when something happens, falls over when crawling drops something. But mainly just super cranky, red swollen eyes.

Yes he can get up and down.

When I check on him I lay him back down in the middle of the crib, And he closes his eyes like hes going to sleep then rolls over and pops up the second he realizes Im walking out and starts crying even harder.

He fights his naps badly!! His eyes will be rolling back and he will shake it off like "Im up Im up"!! Poor kid.
lpperry 06:02 PM 10-25-2011
If you had him napping well before, you can get back to it. It just might take a week or two. I'd stay in his room and lay him back down each time he stands up. After awhile, he'll give up and lay down and sleep.

My kids used sleep sacks for warmth. I hate to tell you that they could easily stand up in them (and my crazy kid could cruise around the crib standing in it.)
KBCsMommy 06:25 PM 10-25-2011
Originally Posted by lpperry:
If you had him napping well before, you can get back to it. It just might take a week or two. I'd stay in his room and lay him back down each time he stands up. After awhile, he'll give up and lay down and sleep.

My kids used sleep sacks for warmth. I hate to tell you that they could easily stand up in them (and my crazy kid could cruise around the crib standing in it.)
Oh great!!!!! I thought I had it figured out!!!!!!!!! LOL!!
thanks for the heads up!! He will use it anyways so I didnt waste too much money!
Tags:infant - won't sleep, won't sleep
Reply Up