Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Require...
KDC 08:56 AM 04-08-2013
to be notified when a child has started antibiotics?

I got at drop off this morning, DCB has been on antibiotics for 4 days... our whole household is sick! Hmm...4 days ago puts us at Thursday....UM, YEP - HE WAS HERE Thursday & Friday? WTH? DCD says it's just a sinus infection we think, so not contagious! Well, he was a ROYAL pita on Wed, Thurs. & Fri last week, at least now I know why??? When I mentioned him being a little down with the cold last week at pick-up, the parents mentioned NOTHING. I never felt a fever, but is this information they should have shared with me?

This is also the same child that's been pooping his pants all last week. Maybe the antibiotics were causing an issue... I think they should have told me
Country Kids 09:04 AM 04-08-2013
The pooping of the pants issue all week wouldn't have been from the antibiotics if he's only been on them 4 days. Thats means he only started them Thursday or Friday-possibly more like Friday. Did they say anything about him going to the DR. before that?

Yes, I do like knowing when they are on something, but I can't remember once this year having anyone here on antibiotics. They all just made it through it, stayed home or did natural rememdies.
daycarediva 09:40 AM 04-08-2013
Yes, I require notice when a child is put on medication. I would be super upset, and tell them that for future reference you need to know the name and dose of the medication that he is receiving. I have a form from the state that allows parents to list meds that the kids are on (even tylenol, just a one time dose) when they gave/give it and how much.

and THIS is why- For instance, if he were to go to the dr last Thurs after pickup, dr says it's not contagious and he gives him antibiotics. Parents administer first dose before bed and second dose before drop off. They mention nothing to you, then child has a reaction to said antibiotics while in your care.

My son has a severe reaction to ibuprofen. We didn't know this until he was almost 2. We gave him ibuprofen when he had a cold, since he was irritable and had a low grade fever. Worked like a charm and he was up playing in 20 minutes. I went to work and left him home with dh. Dh changed his diaper after lunch and noticed a rash in his diaper area, put cream on it, and put him down for his nap. When ds woke up early dh went in and ds's skin was PEELING off and raw/bleeding. Can you IMAGINE if I had dosed and dropped him???
julie 02:25 PM 04-08-2013
Umm, YES they should have told you. Totally agree with daycarediva. Also, what if there was a medical emergency and you have to tell the people what is in his system. If you don't know and they give him something that reacts badly, VERY dangerous, HUGE liability. I have terminated immediately for someone dropping off their kid medicated and not telling me.
clep 02:27 PM 04-08-2013
It is a part of our contract that parents inform me of any sort of medication the child has taken even otc. If there was an accident or the child suffered a seizure or something and had to be taken by ambulance, I need to know what is in their system so I can relay that info to the emt.
Reply Up