Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Back in the Saddle!
Play Care 09:44 AM 09-02-2015
After a very loooong summer with my two SA boys, I finally told mom that this was the last summer I could watch them. That after school is fine, but they need a SA program. As I had already told mom initially I was not a SA provider, this went well.

Today the older SA boys are with their grandma, and I started two new boys (16 months and 2 1/2) along with my other 16 month old toddler and 4 yo dcg.

What a difference!!! This is my age group, which I've maintained all along. Activities that were put out were played with - deep, meaningful, long lasting play. No "I'm boreds" or "can we do x y or z" while we were already in mid activity (the 4 yo dcg tried but she was redirected - and once all the SA kids are gone (mine are here today) she'll get there's a new routine brewing )

Obviously there will be issues (because been there, done that ), but it was such a relief to have kids actually PLAY. It was busy, but a good busy.
daycarediva 10:02 AM 09-02-2015
I am in the same boat! Had a busy summer trekking sa back and forth to camp daily but it was worth it. Told the parents before came ended that b/a is fine, but I'm not doing summers/breaks again. They found alternate care for this week and next Mon/Tue but will be back for bef/aft care. They need to find a way to transport to camp or enroll in a SA program, and gave them a recommendation (the school does it for a fee here).

Today I have 6 kids age 17m-4y. ALL played BEAUTIFULLY in the centers I put out, made up their own game (essentially chase) outside and played beautifully. Came inside to color/free play, again, no issues. It was a preview of what my year is going to be like and I LOVE IT! (dh had our kids, SA are out with relatives/parents/family friends until school starts)
Play Care 10:21 AM 09-02-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I am in the same boat! Had a busy summer trekking sa back and forth to camp daily but it was worth it. Told the parents before came ended that b/a is fine, but I'm not doing summers/breaks again. They found alternate care for this week and next Mon/Tue but will be back for bef/aft care. They need to find a way to transport to camp or enroll in a SA program, and gave them a recommendation (the school does it for a fee here).

Today I have 6 kids age 17m-4y. ALL played BEAUTIFULLY in the centers I put out, made up their own game (essentially chase) outside and played beautifully. Came inside to color/free play, again, no issues. It was a preview of what my year is going to be like and I LOVE IT! (dh had our kids, SA are out with relatives/parents/family friends until school starts)
That's great! I BTDT transporting SA kids to camps and what not a few years ago - what a pain! I will have to advertise for drop in care for summer as I have all teachers kids, but plan on making it clear its for ages 4 and under.
LindseyA 01:24 PM 09-02-2015
These posts are getting me excited! I have SA for the rest of this week, and then I am done with this age group! Hallelujah! It's been a long summer filled with "I'm bored"... I have been so envious of you all that don't watch SA. I have put my time into them long enough. I am full with a waiting list, so now I can pick & choose. It feels good!
Blackcat31 01:46 PM 09-02-2015
Originally Posted by LindseyA:
These posts are getting me excited! I have SA for the rest of this week, and then I am done with this age group! Hallelujah! It's been a long summer filled with "I'm bored"... I have been so envious of you all that don't watch SA. I have put my time into them long enough. I am full with a waiting list, so now I can pick & choose. It feels good!
Same here... I feel like I am stuck in purgatory right now...

School doesn't start here until after Labor Day and although I do not take kids that have already attended school, I do have a couple that will be leaving for Kindergarten and our schools start Kindergarten students here on a staggered schedule so it will be September 14th before I am done with them altogether and can get on with our normal day to day routines.

I am literally counting down the days. I "thought" about making a paper chain like the kids make at Christmas time but I didn't want anyone to feel bad.

All the kids I have leaning for Kindy, I've pretty much had since they were infants (2 at 6 weeks and 1 at 8 months) so it's not as if I wont miss them but to be totally honest, their ages and what is considered normal and developmentally appropriate behavior for their age is what I am wishing would hurry and leave.
I will miss the kiddos terribly when they are gone...just won't miss the rest of it.
Sunshine74 09:15 PM 09-02-2015
I am so looking forward to school starting (after Labor Day for a majority of our dcks). I don't even work with the SA program, but having them in the building all day is just a completely different dynamic. It doesn't help that their classroom is literally in the middle of the building, so it just feels like they are everywhere. Plus we have a group of dcks who turned 3 just before or over the summer and they are definitely ready to move out of our program into the preschool room. They are a fun group, and we'll miss having them all day, but they have outgrown our class. Not sure if I'm ready for the next group coming up though. Next week should be interesting.
Janiam 08:54 AM 09-03-2015
Counting down here as well! School starts for us the day after Labor Day so my three SA's are done this week ....I am so.ready. Two I won't have AS and one wants one day a week which I said no to and suggsted AS age program so I am trying to stand firm on that one. The idea of having no AS kids this year seems like a dream come true! I have staggered my new clients so that I have one easy week to give myself a break then one new kid the following and two more new kids the week after that. So I will be back to a full schedule by the end of Sept. Life is good
Play Care 08:57 AM 09-03-2015
Today my SA kids were back and it has just cemented my belief that SA kids need SA care!

School starts Tuesday here!!
Reply Up