Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>*Sigh* Help With Wording an Email Please!
finsup 01:12 PM 09-14-2015
So back story...I signed on a new dcg the last week of August. The family knew even before the interview I was expecting and would need to open late for prenatal appointments, and take 2 weeks off when baby is born (will be aa c section). They signed on regardless and said they would work around it. I offered both my back up to provide care, and said I could bring dcg to the appointments if that would help (other families have back up so bringing one extra to quick 5 min checks is no big deal) Well, I got an email a few weeks ago asking if I would offer a reduced rate for the weeks I was opening late (not charging for maternity leave) and I said I would *if* they were out the whole day. I figured the extra time off would be nice and I was still happy with the rate I was getting. Plus its not like this happens very often, aside from the last month of pregnancies. Also figuring, these are good people, good families are tough to find so I would work with them because I liked them and dcg.
Well they found someone who would do backup and dcg was there today. This afternoon I get a message giving me their two weeks. That they can't miss this much work due to appointments/maternity leave (despite knowing this before signing on...grr). Despite working with them, offering a deal etc. I can't fill the spot now...not with all the appointments/maternity leave. That means waiting until the middle of November and around here its really hard to fill spots during the winter. So I'm out of a lot of income :/ I do not want to offer the reduced rate anymore. I'm loosing enough income as it is. I assumed they were staying, and with them not, I honestly don't feel like going out of my way to help them. So how do I word the email? Basically saying in a professional way thank you for letting me know, and by the way the deal we had before is no longer valid, full payment for the 2 weeks is expected.
childcaremom 01:41 PM 09-14-2015
Is your deal in writing anywhere?

I would tell them that you are sorry to see them leave and wish them well at their future caregivers. Please understand that any discounts are for clients who are remaining in care through/after and beyond the pregnancy and birth of your little one. Therefore you are letting them know that full payment for their final two weeks is required.

Or, as a reminder, full payment is required for the notice period. Therefore, any discounts previously discussed do not apply and full payment is expected for the final two weeks of care.

Something along those lines.
daycare 01:43 PM 09-14-2015
so you offered a discount and now they are leaving?
daycare 01:44 PM 09-14-2015
Originally Posted by childcaremom:

I would tell them that you are sorry to see them leave and wish them well at their future caregivers. Please understand that any discounts are for clients who are remaining in care through/after and beyond the pregnancy and birth of your little one. Therefore you are letting them know that full payment for their final two weeks is required.

Or, as a reminder, full payment is required for the notice period. Therefore, any discounts previously discussed do not apply and full payment is expected for the final two weeks of care.

yes, what does your contract say about the termination period?

Fore example:

mine says

discounts or credits of any kind may not be used during the termination period.
finsup 01:47 PM 09-14-2015
Originally Posted by childcaremom:

The agreement for the reduced rate on weeks they agreed to keep dgc out is in Facebook messages. I have their regular weekly rate etc in the signed contract they filled out when they signed on. Thank you though, both those sound good!
finsup 01:51 PM 09-14-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
yes, what does your contract say about the termination period?

Fore example:

mine says

discounts or credits of any kind may not be used during the termination period.
I don't have anything about discounts in my termination policy :/ Just that payment is still due during those two weeks, regardless of attendance. I typically don't offer discounts, I'm not sure I will again after this! I just felt bad because it IS a lot of time off, but ugh...they also knew that before they signed on.
finsup 01:52 PM 09-14-2015
so you offered a discount and now they are leaving?
Yup, I offered the discount under the impression they were staying on and returning after my maternity leave. They hadn't said anything about leaving at that point.
daycare 02:00 PM 09-14-2015
Originally Posted by finsup:
Yup, I offered the discount under the impression they were staying on and returning after my maternity leave. They hadn't said anything about leaving at that point.
I would say this.

DCP

I am very sad to hear that you guys have decided to move on. It was much to my surprise, as I understood this was all worked out and clearly understood by all of us about the time off needed for my child's birth.

I hate to have to retract on my offer to provide your family with a discount as previously agreed. I had the expectation that like the rest of the families you were also going to be returning. Due to the circumstances, I will not be able to offer the discount as I had hoped.

Please be sure to pay your regular rate for your last two weeks of care.

Thanks so much.

your dcp
mommyneedsadayoff 02:10 PM 09-14-2015
Aww man, that stinks I would definitely let them know that the discount was given with the understanding that they would be sticking around, so now that they have decided to move on, so has the discount!

"I am saddened to hear you have decided to move on to other care, but I understand you decision. Just as a reminder, payment of your full rate ($XXX) is expected for your last two weeks of care. The discount I previously offered was given with the understanding you would be remaining in my childcare through my pregnancy and delivery, so with your decision to leave, the original contracted amount will be due on XX date. Best of luck to you in your new daycare!"
ChelseaB 04:55 PM 09-14-2015
I would say this.

DCP

I am very sad to hear that you guys have decided to move on. It was much to my surprise, as I understood this was all worked out and clearly understood by all of us about the time off needed for my child's birth.

I hate to have to retract on my offer to provide your family with a discount as previously agreed. I had the expectation that like the rest of the families you were also going to be returning. Due to the circumstances, I will not be able to offer the discount as I had hoped.

Please be sure to pay your regular rate for your last two weeks of care.

Thanks so much.

your dcp
This!
Ariana 05:17 PM 09-14-2015
Hmmm for me I would still honour it. I feel it is very unprofessional to reneg on something like this no matter how crappy the situation has turned out. I had a similar thing happen to me when I got a sob story from a single mom. I just continued to offer the reduced rate despite not really having to offer it. I have learned to not give discounted rates unless absolutely sure i can keep foing with it.
daycare 05:20 PM 09-14-2015
personally I would too. NOt to be hurtful OP, but I could see that the parents would see it as childish.

BUT if that is what you want to do, then do what you need to.

BUT let me ask you this. If you took all the emotion out of it would you still respond this way?
Unregistered 05:34 PM 09-14-2015
I think it sucks but I think you chose to give the discount and did so in good faith that the family would have the same set of ethics. They didn't
However, since you did not give the discount with any agreement in writing, you are really only left with a lesson learned and thats it.
Like I said, it sucks but business-wise I think it is wise to cut your losses. We as providers preach paperwork and "in writing" as sacred so I think it goes both ways. The parents didn't sign an agreement so they are entited to give notice and find alternate care and get their remaining two weeks at whatever rate you've been charging them as agreed.
Its obvious that the family decided your times wouldn't work out for them so they found alternate care. I doubt they did that to be hurtful towards you. It wasn't personal. Its what's best for their family. We do the same as business owners.
Try not to take it personal
finsup 05:51 PM 09-14-2015
personally I would too. NOt to be hurtful OP, but I could see that the parents would see it as childish.

BUT if that is what you want to do, then do what you need to.

BUT let me ask you this. If you took all the emotion out of it would you still respond this way?
I definitely get that side of it. I think the hardest thing for me is that since they signed on knowing this, I figured, OK, take a reduced rate for a little while to help them out but go back to a regular rate after that, I can make it work. Now knowing that income is gone, and I'll be out way more then expected, completly throws budgeting off. I know families can come and go,I guess I just figured someone wouldn't commit to this knowing everything upfront. I could totally understand if this was randomly thrown on them or I hid (yeah not possible at this point lol) the pregnancy beforehand. Right now I'd get the reduced rate for this week, regular for next. Overall the one reduced rate week isn't a huge deal, but ugh. I never would have offered it if I thought they d be leaving.
finsup 05:58 PM 09-14-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I think it sucks but I think you chose to give the discount and did so in good faith that the family would have the same set of ethics. They didn't
However, since you did not give the discount with any agreement in writing, you are really only left with a lesson learned and thats it.
Like I said, it sucks but business-wise I think it is wise to cut your losses. We as providers preach paperwork and "in writing" as sacred so I think it goes both ways. The parents didn't sign an agreement so they are entited to give notice and find alternate care and get their remaining two weeks at whatever rate you've been charging them as agreed.
Its obvious that the family decided your times wouldn't work out for them so they found alternate care. I doubt they did that to be hurtful towards you. It wasn't personal. Its what's best for their family. We do the same as business owners.
Try not to take it personal
We do have a contract with an agreed upon rate. The discounted rate was agreed upon afterward and only offered during the weeks I have to take time off. It just frustrated me that someone would know all this upfront and decide a few weeks in "oh never mind we can't do that anymore." They are a good family and I know they weren't trying to be hurtful. I guess if it were me, I would have never signed on with someone if I didn't think I could work around the schedule they gave me ahead of time
Unregistered 07:00 PM 09-14-2015
Originally Posted by finsup:
We do have a contract with an agreed upon rate. The discounted rate was agreed upon afterward and only offered during the weeks I have to take time off. It just frustrated me that someone would know all this upfront and decide a few weeks in "oh never mind we can't do that anymore." They are a good family and I know they weren't trying to be hurtful. I guess if it were me, I would have never signed on with someone if I didn't think I could work around the schedule they gave me ahead of time
Have they paid yet?
Maybe they will pay you the full amount due without you having to say anything at all?
mommyneedsadayoff 07:16 PM 09-14-2015
I think it is totally acceptable to charge the normal rate. This was a temp discount, not aset rate change and it was done as a courtesy to parents willing to work with your pregnancy schedule. They changed their minds, therefore the discount is no longer valid. Any business who offers a discount usually puts conditions on it, so I don't think it is unprofessional to go back. They did what was best for their family and you need to do what's best for yours by securing as much payment as possible, since they are now leaving you with no income for awhile. It's business, not personal.
childcaremom 02:39 AM 09-15-2015
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
I think it is totally acceptable to charge the normal rate. This was a temp discount, not aset rate change and it was done as a courtesy to parents willing to work with your pregnancy schedule. They changed their minds, therefore the discount is no longer valid. Any business who offers a discount usually puts conditions on it, so I don't think it is unprofessional to go back. They did what was best for their family and you need to do what's best for yours by securing as much payment as possible, since they are now leaving you with no income for awhile. It's business, not personal.
Exactly this.

I would leave any emotion out of it, too. Sorry to see you go, dcf. Please understand the full tuition amount of $x is due for the two weeks notice. Thank you and best of luck.

If they get upset, see above.
Tags:letter samples
Reply Up