Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Mom Drops Child Off Late
sahm2three 08:24 AM 11-16-2010
and tells me that she already gave him a nap before he came! She drops him off AT naptime. So now I am attempting to keep him quiet so he doesn't wake up the other babies. UGH. I am frustrated. He is pretty grouchy, tried lying him down anyways, and he totally freaked out, and is now hugely grouchy! Fantastic. I have had issues with this mom picking UP in the MIDDLE of nap time, and she ends up waking up the other babies! UGH! I don't know how to get thru to her. What would you do?!
marniewon 08:37 AM 11-16-2010
Have you told her how disruptive that is? Is it in your handbook anywhere about nap times and schedules, and no drop-offs, pick-ups at nap time?

Was this her scheduled time to drop off, or was she just late? I have had to put a "late drop-off fee" into my contract before for this very reason. It's one thing if you agree to that time for drop-off, but if she is scheduled earlier, then it is way too disruptive to have them just come whenever.

I would talk to mom and try to get her to understand. If she still doesn't seem to get it, just tell her you'll have to have contracted times for her and if she doesn't drop off on time, you'll have to set a fee. I mean, a half hour or even hour late wouldn't be so bad, but late enough to nap him before she brings him is too late.
laundrymom 08:46 AM 11-16-2010
I would try to keep him quiet, and if not call mom. how old is he? my policy says every child in care takes a nap every day. Parents agree to this,.in order to enroll..

I would call her and tell her that you are having trouble keeping him quiet during the rest time for the day . Tell her,.. it may be because you already napped him and brought him late. Now he is just not happy. Ask her to pick up because the other children arent able to rest with him crying.

Originally Posted by sahm2three:
and tells me that she already gave him a nap before he came! She drops him off AT naptime. So now I am attempting to keep him quiet so he doesn't wake up the other babies. UGH. I am frustrated. He is pretty grouchy, tried lying him down anyways, and he totally freaked out, and is now hugely grouchy! Fantastic. I have had issues with this mom picking UP in the MIDDLE of nap time, and she ends up waking up the other babies! UGH! I don't know how to get thru to her. What would you do?!

countrymom 09:55 AM 11-16-2010
when is her normal drop off time, I would not allow a child to come at nap time because it is very disruptive, I would say to her that next time she pulls this stunt that you will call her to come and get him since he is very grouchy and missing her (you can make things up so she will come and deal with him)
sahm2three 11:15 AM 11-16-2010
She is scheduled from 7:30 to 5 every day. But a couple days a week she shows up early to get dcb. I TRY to sneak in and grab him without waking the others but 9 times out of 10, everyone gets woken up! And this morning she didn't come until almost 8:30! 8:30 is nap time! UGH!
marniewon 11:52 AM 11-16-2010
What time is your pm nap? Can you tell mom to wait until the end of nap to pick him up? She's paying for the whole day, right? She could go shopping or something until nap time is over. Most parents would love to do that!!

And he's already had a nap by 8:30am?? what time does he get up in the morning? That's odd. Again, like I said before, I would just tell her how disruptive that is and ask that she not nap before drop-off, or keep him home until after nap, and not to pick up during nap either.
Unregistered 06:29 AM 04-29-2012
Im pretty sure that daycare is a service that is supposed to be convenient for the parents paying for the service. So what if she drops off late? Are you NOT getting paid for the contracted hours? How many naps a day do you require for the children? 8:30 am? For real? The child is grouchy? Perhaps you should look into a new occupation.
cheerfuldom 12:13 PM 04-29-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Im pretty sure that daycare is a service that is supposed to be convenient for the parents paying for the service. So what if she drops off late? Are you NOT getting paid for the contracted hours? How many naps a day do you require for the children? 8:30 am? For real? The child is grouchy? Perhaps you should look into a new occupation.
This is just plain out rude. If you can't be respectful (even if you disagree), then you dont need to be posting. Just because someone is having a struggle with their job, does not mean that they should or can change occupations.

OP, the only way to get through to a mom like this is to attach fees when dropping off or picking up outside of regular contracted hours as an "inconvenience" fee. OR you can simply refuse these drop offs and pickups and let the mom know that if she needs this flexibility, she needs to look for alternative care.
Ariana 12:19 PM 04-29-2012
LOL!!

Looks like I didn't look at the date either!!!
saved4always 01:29 PM 04-29-2012
Ummmm....seriously....did you not look at the DATE on this original post and the last time anyone had posted on it before your very helpful post today? It is from 2010.....I am pretty sure that your very positive input was not needed by the OP at this late date.
Kaddidle Care 02:58 PM 04-29-2012
Ooh yeah - here we go! (not even a full moon!)

Actually you know what's funny? I'm reading the first post and thinking.. "Is everyone working on Sundays now?" LOL
Tags:drop off, late arrivals, late fee
Reply Up