Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Valentines Day Crafts/Ideas
MommyMuffin 06:45 AM 01-25-2011
This is my first year doing daycare and I am not very creative.
What are some activities/crafts/treats that you make and do with the children to celebrate?

I have (2) 2.5yos and (1)18month old.
Blackcat31 06:48 AM 01-25-2011
These are probably not what you were thinking of, but I thought these were hilarious! You just use the heart shaped cookie cutter.....could you imagine if we sent the kids home with these?!!?!

http://scottys-place.blogspot.com/20...b-cookies.html
Michelle 06:52 AM 01-25-2011
Yea I think you might get a visit from some official's if you sent those home
MommyMuffin 06:52 AM 01-25-2011
OMG too funny! I love it. I should make them for my husband to bring to work, I bet the guys at the shop would get a kick out of it!! hehe
DCMomOf3 06:58 AM 01-25-2011
those are great BlackCat!

we make valentines, mail boxes/bags to hold the valentines.
melskids 08:41 AM 01-25-2011
the dramatic play area will be set up like a DR.s office (for heart)

the block area is always open, but i may put out just the red blocks

cozy corner has tons of books about valentine's, friendship, and doctors

for fine motor, there will be red playdough, red hearts to lace, hearts to cut out or tear, a homemade heart shape puzzle, etc.

math center has red counters in it, and hearts in different colors and shapes (made from construction paper and laminated) for sorting by size or making patterns

science center might have picures of real hearts, mixing red paint, red cellophane to look through, etc

writing desk has red crayons/colored pencils. (i dont make the kids do worksheets, but there are always ones there if they want to do them, so maybe a few letter H ones, a heart maze, that sort of thing) i would add hearts cut out of sandpaper for rubbings, and letter stencils to make valentine cards.

cooking is heart shaped cookies or sandwiches, friendship fruit salad (everyone brings a piece of fruit to share)

the sand table has heart cookie cutters

for gross motor, we hop on hearts made from construction paper. i might put shapes or letters or colors on them, and play games to incorporate that..."hop on a pink heart." or " everyone hop on a heart with the letter H on it".

for free choice art, the easel has red and white paint. i might put heart shaped paper there, or heart stamps. the table has materials put out, and the kids are free to choose what they want to create. (paper of different types, crayons, markers, glue, tissue paper, bingo dabbers, etc) i would probably add heart stickers or foam shapes and paper doiles (i always find at the $ store).

we also play hide and seek the heart, and "heart" potato (like hot potato)
Candyland 06:42 PM 01-29-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
These are probably not what you were thinking of, but I thought these were hilarious! You just use the heart shaped cookie cutter.....could you imagine if we sent the kids home with these?!!?!

http://scottys-place.blogspot.com/20...b-cookies.html
those are hilarious!!!
Abigail 07:02 PM 01-29-2011
MelsKids, WOW you have a nice list. I probably wouldn't limit the colors, but add more of those red colors. You are very creative with your list.

Something simple is to give each child pre-cut hearts in small, medium, and large sizes from construction paper in either pink or red colors and have them decorate it and hang in on the wall. I would also teach them how to cut out a heart by folding the paper in half and drawing the half heart to cut and open it to see the end result of a heart. They might be excited to show mom/dad how to do it.

Here is a site with a list of Valentine's Day songs, Art, Books, Games, Science, Coloring Pages, and More.http://www.everythingpreschool.com/t...ines/index.htm
littlemonkeys 07:12 PM 01-29-2011
Here is another website that has some great crafts, books, songs, and more.

http://www.notimeforflashcards.com/c...valentines-day
kendallina 07:14 PM 01-29-2011
Oh geez...I just saw this and I posted a similar thread earlier today...sorry about that.
Tags:valentines day, valentines gift ideas
Reply Up