Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Family Financial Situation, WWYD
Miss A 04:25 PM 09-10-2016
I have a young family that uses my services who is currently having financial difficulties. DCD lost his 4th job in less than a year, and DCM is barely staying afloat. Normally, I do not get invested in these issues, and I am still very aloof to this one, except that it now affects her paying me. She was short for last week's care, and was to pay in full yesterday. That did not happen, so she will have until Monday to pay, or she will not be able to drop her kid off.

They are expecting by the end of this year. They already struggle to pay for 1 child, and their bill will double after maternity leave. I do not know how they will manage if DCD can't find a job.

I had a call this week for a family seeking care for 2 under 2, and I also have a waiting list. I almost want to term the young family before I am in a bind and replace from my waiting list.

If I wasn't weeks/days away from my due date, I would do just that. But, I am looking at 5 weeks where starting a new family will not be ideal, with me closing for 2 weeks and having my mom assist me for an additional 3. I also feel that since my 2 week closure will be unpaid, since DCD is not working, he could keep his kid home and they would have 2 weeks to catch up on bills, and maybe get back on track.

I don't know what to do. I have never been so stumped by a business decisions in my life, and I am hoping an outside perspective can help me see the clear cut choice.
Mike 04:59 PM 09-10-2016
If you don't think the current family can afford to stay, I would discuss openings with a family or 2 and see if they want to start in a couple weeks, or if they would prefer to wait till after your time off. If they would prefer to start now, give the current family their 2 weeks notice if she doesn't have the money Monday. If they would rather wait, see what happens Monday and decide if you want them to stay or if you would be better off replacing them.

It is business. If a family can't afford to pay, they can't afford to stay.
Miss A 05:20 PM 09-10-2016
Originally Posted by Mike:
If you don't think the current family can afford to stay, I would discuss openings with a family or 2 and see if they want to start in a couple weeks, or if they would prefer to wait till after your time off. If they would prefer to start now, give the current family their 2 weeks notice if she doesn't have the money Monday. If they would rather wait, see what happens Monday and decide if you want them to stay or if you would be better off replacing them.

It is business. If a family can't afford to pay, they can't afford to stay.
It isn't the potential starting families start date that has me concerned, it is the fact that I am in baby limbo. I could give birth at any time, and then I have maternity closure. That is why I am struggling so much right now. For 2 weeks for sure after this baby pops out, I will be closed, which gives this family time to catch up.

I wish it was very clear to me. I wish I could look at the calendar and know that I would give birth in X day, and be closed from X-X, open on X, and have everything work out perfectly. I am too Type A to play the baby waiting game, and fly by the seat of my pants.
MunchkinWrangler 06:41 PM 09-10-2016
I would definitely look at your other options. Openly discuss your maternity plans, if these families have current care arrangements, it should be simple(I would suppose) for them to plan out their arrangements as long as there is a tentative plan in place.

I think that is the toughest part about this business. We are very invested in the personal side of it as well as the business side and our abilities to take care of our own families.

Would you be comfortable in speaking with the family that is having troubles openly about what they plan on doing with their current and future situation? I'm sure it is stressful for them but they also need to seriously evaluate what they are going to do.
Miss A 06:51 PM 09-10-2016
Originally Posted by MunchkinWrangler:
I would definitely look at your other options. Openly discuss your maternity plans, if these families have current care arrangements, it should be simple(I would suppose) for them to plan out their arrangements as long as there is a tentative plan in place.

I think that is the toughest part about this business. We are very invested in the personal side of it as well as the business side and our abilities to take care of our own families.

Would you be comfortable in speaking with the family that is having troubles openly about what they plan on doing with their current and future situation? I'm sure it is stressful for them but they also need to seriously evaluate what they are going to do.
I worked on a letter home tonight that is contingent on how Monday goes. It isn't worded quite how I want it to be yet, but I had to get the basic thought process out so that I can tweak it.

I feel bad adding to their current stress, especially if DCD can find a job and hold it down. There are so many variables that can change for them between now and when they need care to start for the second LO. If they can get this week's payment under their belt I feel they will be able to catch up and manage to continue paying for the one child through the end of the year.

I have reached out to the first on my waiting list though. I am waiting on a response. It would work out with them because they are looking to enroll an infant after maternity leave, so my maternity leave would not be a conflict to them. If they decide to pass, and my current families situation does not improve I will continue to move down the list, while offering care to the current family until their maternity leave, so long as they are able to afford the fees due.
bgmeyers 07:45 AM 09-13-2016
How did it go Monday?
Miss A 07:51 AM 09-13-2016
Originally Posted by bgmeyers:
How did it go Monday?
DCM was able to make payment, and DCD has a job interview.

The first client on my waiting list has already found daycare, so I am just going to leave the current situation be as it is, unless DCM is unable to make payment again in the near future. Hopefully DCD can get and keep this job he interviewed for.
Reply Up