Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help With Wording: Have Read the New Handbook
nothingwithoutjoy 11:30 AM 07-29-2012
Hi! I'm hoping someone can help me word a simple document. I have just re-written my parent handbook. Most of the parents who will be receiving it have been in my program for 5 or 6 years, and I'm sure they know my policies in and out, but I'd like to be sure they re-read everything, not just the new stuff. You know how things get "forgotten!" :-) I'm thinking I might have them sign a simple form saying they've read and received it. I can always use help being firm; I tend toward "too nice." Any suggestions?
Former Teacher 11:41 AM 07-29-2012
Originally Posted by Lise:
Hi! I'm hoping someone can help me word a simple document. I have just re-written my parent handbook. Most of the parents who will be receiving it have been in my program for 5 or 6 years, and I'm sure they know my policies in and out, but I'd like to be sure they re-read everything, not just the new stuff. You know how things get "forgotten!" :-) I'm thinking I might have them sign a simple form saying they've read and received it. I can always use help being firm; I tend toward "too nice." Any suggestions?
At my former center, what we did was have a form (for everything and anything- regarding policy changes, holidays, etc) that was divided. The top part was their copy, which either myself or the Director signed. Bottom part was our copy which was kept in the child's file.

You don't need to be firm....just make it short and simple. However make sure it says what it is for. IE Handbook 2012 etc

Good luck!
Blackcat31 04:09 PM 07-29-2012
I have a separate sheet that I attach to the back of the handbook. Parents need to read it, inital after each paragraph and sign and date the bottom and return to me BEFORE they can attend. The page reads like this:

I have read and agree to the statements and policies outlined in ABC's childcare handbook. I fully understand all rates, payments, late fees, and scheduling procedures.___________.

I was given ample time to read the handbook and was provided contact info should I have any questions. I understand that by signing this contract I agree to abide by all rules and policies set forth in the handbook. _______.

Failure on my part to fully read the handbook does not give me valid excuse to disregard any policies and rules and that I can be terminated immediately for violation of any or all of ABC's Child Care's policies. _______.

DuckGirlJoey 04:28 PM 07-29-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Failure on my part to fully read the handbook does not give me valid excuse to disregard any policies and rules and that I can be terminated immediately for violation of any or all of ABC's Child Care's policies. _______.
Snipped;bold is mine. Get rid of that 'that' altogether or make it a 'therefore'. Seems like such a tiny mistake but someone somewhere could make it an issue! Just trying to have your back!
nothingwithoutjoy 10:16 AM 07-30-2012
I knew there'd be good advice here. Former Teacher, I like the idea of two copies. Blackcat, you've got several things in there I hadn't considered. Thanks for the help!
Tags:handbook update notice, parent notification
Reply Up