Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum!>Updated Handbook Unhappy Parent
lovemydaycare0912 07:53 PM 12-01-2015
Okay this is vent/looking for advice even though I know what I want to do.

I have been operating my daycare alongside my husband since Feb 2015. I had a family who I knew because I was the child's teacher in a daycare center last year. As soon as she knew I was opening a daycare, she told me her son would be my first child,etc. I have been more than generous with this family as they have helped me tremendously. Kind of like you scratch my back I scratch yours.

Anyways, updates in my handbook that concern her are:
I added vacation. 1 paid, another possible but unpaid.
Gave 3-4 weeks notice that on Christmas Eve and New Years eve instead of closing at 3pm I would close at 1pm. Usual closing time is 6pm.
I have personal days as well but I don't use them. This year I had 5, but only used 1 because my husband was in the emergency room.

Overall, I'm not taking out my vacations. I gave her 1 week free tuition next year, and 1 week 50% off. So she can use the money she saves from that to use when we go on vacation. We need it. We were only closed major holidays this year and that 1 day we were in the hospital. We do not want to get burned out. She either gets with it, and if this no longer fits her family, she is more than welcome to look elsewhere for care.

My personal days are staying because I want them there just in case something happens. I don't just close just because, even though I can because I have it in my handbook.

Also, she says I didn't give her enough time to change my closing time for Christmas Eve and New Years eve. It's only a 2 hour change. It isn't fair for other families that will listen to the 1pm closing and for me to take him until 3pm.

Am I wrong? Because I don't think I am. Thanks and sorry for the long post!!
Blackcat31 08:05 PM 12-01-2015
Originally Posted by lovemydaycare0912:
Okay this is vent/looking for advice even though I know what I want to do.

I have been operating my daycare alongside my husband since Feb 2015. I had a family who I knew because I was the child's teacher in a daycare center last year. As soon as she knew I was opening a daycare, she told me her son would be my first child,etc. I have been more than generous with this family as they have helped me tremendously. Kind of like you scratch my back I scratch yours.

Anyways, updates in my handbook that concern her are:
I added vacation. 1 paid, another possible but unpaid.
Gave 3-4 weeks notice that on Christmas Eve and New Years eve instead of closing at 3pm I would close at 1pm. Usual closing time is 6pm.
I have personal days as well but I don't use them. This year I had 5, but only used 1 because my husband was in the emergency room.

Overall, I'm not taking out my vacations. I gave her 1 week free tuition next year, and 1 week 50% off. So she can use the money she saves from that to use when we go on vacation. We need it. We were only closed major holidays this year and that 1 day we were in the hospital. We do not want to get burned out. She either gets with it, and if this no longer fits her family, she is more than welcome to look elsewhere for care.

My personal days are staying because I want them there just in case something happens. I don't just close just because, even though I can because I have it in my handbook.

Also, she says I didn't give her enough time to change my closing time for Christmas Eve and New Years eve. It's only a 2 hour change. It isn't fair for other families that will listen to the 1pm closing and for me to take him until 3pm.

Am I wrong? Because I don't think I am. Thanks and sorry for the long post!!
You are self employed... That means YOU set your rules and decide what works for you and you family.

Daycare mom gets to decide what's best for her family.
That's it.

If your new rules don't work for her she can choose to find new care. Any scratching each others backs that has been done is done.. I would hope no one was actually keeping score...
I've done favors and compromised with a client now and then before too but never felt as if they owed me something in return or vice versa.

In reality, I work with clients when it works for me.

If what this mom wants of you doesn't work for you, stand your ground. Remember its your business.

She may leave but sometimes that's for the best...I prefer to have parents that follow my policies and respect my business not try to run it for me.

You are giving MORE than enough notice so she has MORE than enough time to make arrangement for those changes.
lovemydaycare0912 08:11 PM 12-01-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
You are self employed... That means YOU set your rules and decide what works for you and you family.

Daycare mom gets to decide what's best for her family.
That's it.

If your new rules don't work for her she can choose to find new care. Any scratching each others backs that has been done is done.. I would hope no one was actually keeping score...
I've done favors and compromised with a client now and then before too but never felt as if they owed me something in return or vice versa.

In reality, I work with clients when it works for me.

If what this mom wants of you doesn't work for you, stand your ground. Remember its your business.

She may leave but sometimes that's for the best...I prefer to have parents that follow my policies and respect my business not try to run it for me.

You are giving MORE than enough notice so she has MORE than enough time to make arrangement for those changes.
Thank you so much. Just needed that support. I told her in her email if she wants to talk, she can come inside and discuss everything. But i know that I am standing my ground. It is what it is. Thanks again.
Josiegirl 03:03 AM 12-02-2015
Ask her if she'd rather have a notice of 2 weeks....for termination. JK
I agree wholeheartedly with BC. And to me, what you're requesting is not at all unreasonable.
Sounds like she's simply used to a center setting and their rules and needs to realize home-based childcare is a whole different beast. If she appreciates and respects you highly enough, she will figure it out or she can go back to the center.
In my handbook I stress how important it is to always have back-up care because life happens.
childcaremom 04:38 AM 12-02-2015
Do what you need to do. Dcps will do what they need to. Most often, there is usually grumbling and that is it.

And good for you for recognizing changes that you need to make and doing them!
rosieteddy 06:38 AM 12-02-2015
Definitely stick to your new contract.I would not discuss anything else with her.The policies go in effect when dated and signed.I would have all clients sign and date the new copy.You could use a new cover letter and say something like "after running our program for close to a year we have some changes to make."List the changes -extra vacation (should be paid)-sick/personal days--Add the early closings for the holidays .You are giving plenty of notice (try not to cave).If the family wants to move on that's their choice. I had to close unexpectedly last Feb long term parents moved on without a second look.Do what is best for your family the clients will adapt.
lovemydaycare0912 08:37 AM 12-02-2015
Thank you so much for all your support and advice. My husband runs the daycare with me, so he is my backbone. I am definitely not caving. She either runs with it, or time to say goodbye.
daycare 09:32 AM 12-02-2015
I had this parent years ago and it was like christmas the day they left.

they too were one of my first families when I opened up after my move up state.

this family thought they had the run of the mill, especially because the dcm worked directly with licensing.

In the start I was really flexible as any new dcp would be to get things up and going.

as soon as I started growing, I needed to make changes. The family tried to fight me every step of the way, tried to make me feel guilty and etc.

I learned from everyone here to take my emotion out of it and do what I need to do for the sake of my business. If they don't like it they can leave, but I will not make changes to suit individual families needs.
lovemydaycare0912 12:58 PM 12-02-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
I had this parent years ago and it was like christmas the day they left.

they too were one of my first families when I opened up after my move up state.

this family thought they had the run of the mill, especially because the dcm worked directly with licensing.

In the start I was really flexible as any new dcp would be to get things up and going.

as soon as I started growing, I needed to make changes. The family tried to fight me every step of the way, tried to make me feel guilty and etc.

I learned from everyone here to take my emotion out of it and do what I need to do for the sake of my business. If they don't like it they can leave, but I will not make changes to suit individual families needs.
Yes thank you so much! I agree 100% I was super flexible as first too, and they saw how full I was getting and hired a babysitter to help out. But yes, I have tried to tell her that I will be glad to talk about her concerns in person as she emailed me last night after reading the handbook. Instead she wanted a phonecall during nap time. I tried, she didn't pick up, and when she called back we were busy. Now she wants an e-mail back which is so annoying, but my husband said to just send the e-mail. If she has any further concerns they should be addressed in person. I wish there was a daycare support group we could go to in person hehe
daycare 01:28 PM 12-02-2015
Yes thank you so much! I agree 100% I was super flexible as first too, and they saw how full I was getting and hired a babysitter to help out. But yes, I have tried to tell her that I will be glad to talk about her concerns in person as she emailed me last night after reading the handbook. Instead she wanted a phonecall during nap time. I tried, she didn't pick up, and when she called back we were busy. Now she wants an e-mail back which is so annoying, but my husband said to just send the e-mail. If she has any further concerns they should be addressed in person. I wish there was a daycare support group we could go to in person hehe
you will love it here. great support from many different views..

I love this place.

BTW I love email so there is no he said she said or any confusion, miss wording or such.

I love the email paper trail..
lovemydaycare0912 03:45 PM 12-02-2015
you will love it here. great support from many different views..

I love this place.

BTW I love email so there is no he said she said or any confusion, miss wording or such.

I love the email paper trail..
I have created an e-mail to send to her. Can anyone volunteer to read it and give me feedback. It'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
daycare 04:22 PM 12-02-2015
I have created an e-mail to send to her. Can anyone volunteer to read it and give me feedback. It'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
you can post it here or you can PM me....
Blackcat31 04:27 PM 12-02-2015
you can post it here or you can PM me....
same here..

Post it... we have an off topic section for more privacy if you want.
Its available to members only.
https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7

Or feel free to PM as well.
daycare 04:37 PM 12-02-2015
BC is the best at letters.... we are so lucky to have her on here....
Play Care 03:12 AM 12-03-2015
This is what I would send:

"Dear DCM,

While I have loved having Susie in my care, I completely understand if the changes to my business no longer work for your and your family. Should you decide to pull your child please follow the contractually obligated two week notice. If you need assistance in your child care search the Child Care Referral Agency can be reached at 555-5555. If you choose to continue in my care, the new handbook applies.

As my business grows, I find I must make changes to accommodate my needs as well as those of all my clients. Thank you for your understanding.

Sincerely,
Happy Provider"

The *only* thing I would say to her is "If my child care no longer meets your needs, I understand if you need to leave" and "Is this your two week notice?" if she keeps complaining.
rosieteddy 05:47 AM 12-03-2015
I think that sounds good.Short and to the point.
lovemydaycare0912 07:00 PM 12-03-2015
Update to all:

Spoke with dcm and was able to resolve everything. She understands the changes and is willing to abide by it. I learned, e-mail is not my best form of communication. Thanks for all your help. Also, I got a call today I will be fully enrolled as my last (6th) child will be starting in 1 week. Thank you God! We have been open since March. For those of you just starting, hang in there. The kids will come!
Tags:handbook - revisions, handbook update notice
Reply Up