Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Had A Mom Call Today...Looking For Care...NEXT August...
PolkaTots 12:53 PM 08-28-2012
One of my pet peeves is first time moms, that call wanting to interview for child care, when they aren't even out of their first trimester. Next year at this time, I won't know if I will even have any openings, may not even run my program the same...heck, I may not even be open! She just wants to drop in to see how I do things. First of all, I NEVER allow strangers to just drop over when daycare children are here. First interviews are always conducted after hours, as to not disrupt our routine and I can give the potential parents full attention. Once I have gotten to know them, and consider them a potential fit for our home, I will allow them to come by and meet the crew.
laundrymom 01:02 PM 08-28-2012
I have began telling parents I will hold the spot for them as long as they pay for it. If they want to interview, and pay for 3,6,9 or even 12 months. It's their money. But if they don't pay for it, someone else has the right to.
DaisyMamma 01:22 PM 08-28-2012
did you say call back next June!
cheerfuldom 01:34 PM 08-28-2012
I have had one mom call me before she was even pregnant!

I know some areas people have to get on waiting lists and be really proactive about infant care....but its not like that here. I dont interview anyone till 8 weeks before their start date. I also dont let anyone come over for a play date until AFTER an interview and that is only if there child is old enough to even have a playdate....I dont do them at all for infants.
Crystal 02:33 PM 08-28-2012
I LOVE it when parents do this! This way I know I have an incoming client when the next group of school-aged kids leave. It happens frequently here.....and you should feel honored, because it shows that you have a good reputation in the community!
daycare 02:41 PM 08-28-2012
I had this happen. The mom wanted her child in my DC so bad that she would call me about every 3 months for almost a year to see if I had openings coming up. The DAY that her child was old enough for my program, he started. At first I had a negative reaction, but then I felt honored that the mom waited it out and chose me.

I still have this little cuttie pie two years later.
DCMama 02:47 PM 08-28-2012
I heard from other providers those are one of the good parents you would like to work with since they care enough to check for daycare in advance. However, I know how you feel, things can be different later on. I had 2 inquiries for spots in the spring when they give birth. But I told them no promises because I can't save a spot without deposit but it is early for deposit for one of them. Sigh, at the rate this is going hopefully my program pick up. otherwise it would suck to have to wait for an unborn clients for a few months.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 03:14 PM 08-28-2012
I held a spot for little peanut (now almost 2) from almost the time her mom found out she was pregnant! I watched the mom's sister's kidlets when they were young and have known the family "forever" now. I wouldn't do that for everyone but sometimes it pays off.
I would make arrangements with this mom. She may be trying to decide if she can go back to work and wants to feel comfortable with that choice. I would be honest about not being able to hold a spot but, I would definately keep that kido in my mind as I filled next summer!
Annalee 07:09 PM 08-28-2012
Originally Posted by PolkaTots:
One of my pet peeves is first time moms, that call wanting to interview for child care, when they aren't even out of their first trimester. Next year at this time, I won't know if I will even have any openings, may not even run my program the same...heck, I may not even be open! She just wants to drop in to see how I do things. First of all, I NEVER allow strangers to just drop over when daycare children are here. First interviews are always conducted after hours, as to not disrupt our routine and I can give the potential parents full attention. Once I have gotten to know them, and consider them a potential fit for our home, I will allow them to come by and meet the crew.
In TN where I am, home child care is very limited when it comes to infants (only four children under the age of twenty-four months are allowed in family or group home care unless you hire extra caregivers) so I get calls all the time due to the limited availability of infant spots. Many of the clients on my waiting lists are for infants not even born yet. As openings become available, many clients will actually begin paying if the interview went well, however I set the time for the interview, they do not drop in.....
MsMe 07:17 PM 08-28-2012
I had a mother call before she was pregnant too. Next Tuesday her 3rd baby will start our program
Annalee 07:19 PM 08-28-2012
Originally Posted by MsMe:
I had a mother call before she was pregnant too. Next Tuesday her 3rd baby will start our program
I like to call it job security.
grandmom 02:23 PM 08-29-2012
Happens all the time. I encourage parents to pay the registration fee at several places just to keep their options open. I have four infants on my waiting list currently. Through August 2013. Yes, it is job security.
Blackcat31 02:29 PM 08-29-2012
Originally Posted by Crystal:
I LOVE it when parents do this! This way I know I have an incoming client when the next group of school-aged kids leave. It happens frequently here.....and you should feel honored, because it shows that you have a good reputation in the community!
I love this too! I had a mom call today looking for care at the beginning of June 2013...just weeks after the infant I have now will be going on "summer leave" (he will return in the fall in next age category so it is perfect timing!!

She will be interviewing with me next week. We covered alot of the info on the phone and she sounds like a great fit for out program! So I am glad she is proactive with her search.
SilverSabre25 02:35 PM 08-29-2012
For the first time I"m actually going to be able to entertain long-reaching openings. I know I will have one starting October 26th, 2013 when DD turns 6. I also know that, barring anything unforeseen, I'll have one as soon as dcb start kindergarten next fall. He doesn't live in our district so keeping him is not an option unfortunately. Wish it was.
My3cents 03:17 PM 08-29-2012
Originally Posted by Crystal:

MsMe 03:42 PM 08-29-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I love this too! I had a mom call today looking for care at the beginning of June 2013...just weeks after the infant I have now will be going on "summer leave" (he will return in the fall in next age category so it is perfect timing!!

She will be interviewing with me next week. We covered alot of the info on the phone and she sounds like a great fit for out program! So I am glad she is proactive with her search.
I love when it works out like that!!! You are able to interview have the spot filled without really having to 'hold' the spot.
Nickel 04:56 PM 08-29-2012
I think a lot of it is that almost all baby books and pregnancy books tell parents to look for child care EARLY to ensure they have a spot. Most daycares have a waiting list for infants that's a year long. So it isnt a surprise that parents are tying to find child care as soon as they are pregnant. I've personally had interviews with 4 newborns in the last two weeks. Infant care is so hard to find, so it makes sense that they start looking as soon as they find out they are pregnant. Most are really looking to be put on a waiting list, not necessarily have you hold the spot per se. They dont' understand for the most part. But why not just put her on a waiting list and if you have a spot around that time you can contact her and see if she is still interested? It wouldn't hurt anything, kwim.
lovemykidstoo 11:56 AM 09-12-2012
Last month I accepted a baby that will start in January. She's due in October.
Mommy2One 12:45 PM 09-14-2012
Originally Posted by Nickel:
I think a lot of it is that almost all baby books and pregnancy books tell parents to look for child care EARLY to ensure they have a spot.
That's what I was thinking too. One of mine that warned of year long waiting lists for quality care.

In my area it's not daycare, but rather the preschools and charter elementary schools that you have to consider 1-2 years before you need them. It's tough because I don't know for sure if we'll be in this area but I don't want to risk staying and not having a good school.

Also to first time moms, knowing what kind of care is available and being able to be put a face/name with "caregiver" instead of imagining a random stranger can be very reassuring. I had to go back to work full time somewhat unplanned when my daughter was about 14 months old and I was a wreck after I was offered a job until we interviewed with a wonderful home provider. I couldn't imagine dealing with that level of stress/guilt when amplified by pregnancy hormones!
Happy Hearts 12:55 PM 09-14-2012
I've had a lady call me twice in the last two months asking about a spot for February. She called again today, in a panicky tone, about whether I will have a spot for her child. I am reluctant to ask her to pay for a spot right now, so I asked her to call back in November. Why did I say that? I don't know, but it seemed like the best solution as I was caught off guard by her insistence. I have 47 days to get it right next time.
daycarediva 03:22 PM 09-14-2012
Originally Posted by Mommy2One:
That's what I was thinking too. One of mine that warned of year long waiting lists for quality care.

In my area it's not daycare, but rather the preschools and charter elementary schools that you have to consider 1-2 years before you need them.
That's what it's like here. If I opened a preschool today with 100+ capacity for the 2-5 age range I would be full tomorrow! It is VERY hard in a 'higher end' area to market a home preschool, once I get them in the door though, they always want to sign.
Reply Up