Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>2 Yr Old Chews Food And Spits It Out
MNMum 12:44 PM 04-29-2013
Is this a normal behavior for some. I have a 2.5 yr old who chews up her food and spits it out. It used to be just certain things - carrots, oranges. Today it was her quesidilla. Up until this point, I have not really addressed it. I don't know what they do about it at home. She does eat some of her food, but it is not unusual to find something on her plate in this form, at the end of a meal.
ABCDaycareMN 01:10 PM 04-29-2013
Same lunch today. My 2.5 up dcg did that also. I don't know but she does have some sensory issues.

I couldn't help my self from gagging cleaning the plate.
2 young 2 feel this old 02:30 PM 04-29-2013
I had a DCB that used to chew his food; spit it out and then eat it again (really grossed everyone out). Turns out he could not swallow any food that was not pre-chewed, his tonsils and adenoids were so large they were blocking a large part of his throat. It also affected his hearing; he is now four and we are playing catch-up with his verbal skills. Watch for signs of not hearing properly –Just My Experience
MNMum 02:53 PM 04-29-2013
Originally Posted by 2 young 2 feel this old:
I had a DCB that used to chew his food; spit it out and then eat it again (really grossed everyone out). Turns out he could not swallow any food that was not pre-chewed, his tonsils and adenoids were so large they were blocking a large part of his throat. It also affected his hearing; he is now four and we are playing catch-up with his verbal skills. Watch for signs of not hearing properly –Just My Experience
Interesting...this little girl gets lots of ear infections. Hmmmm...she also has a lot of listening problems, but I don't think that is due to a hearing deficit - if you know what I mean
AmyKidsCo 06:22 PM 04-29-2013
Barring any physical/sensory problems, maybe the child is just done? Most of the children who have done that with me either don't like the food or were "playing" at the end of the meal.
Live and Learn 07:49 PM 04-29-2013
I've cared or two 3 year olds who did this with carrots and oranges. One was fed jarred baby food until he was 2 years old. The other was prenatally exposed to a terrible mess of drugs and had serious sensory issues.
Play Care 03:18 AM 04-30-2013
Originally Posted by MNMum:
Is this a normal behavior for some. I have a 2.5 yr old who chews up her food and spits it out. It used to be just certain things - carrots, oranges. Today it was her quesidilla. Up until this point, I have not really addressed it. I don't know what they do about it at home. She does eat some of her food, but it is not unusual to find something on her plate in this form, at the end of a meal.
I have a child who does this when he is done - no sensory issues, just is done or decides mid chew he doesn't care for what ever it is (usually a vegetable ) I just make sure to only put a little at a time on his plate (I have literally put ONE green bean at a time on his plate. If he bites, chews and swallows he gets ONE more) and take it away as soon as the spitting/dribbling starts. In my case I think when he was starting foods someone (his parents?) may have laughed when it happened/thought it was cute, because he finds it hysterical and expect me to as well...
Reply Up