Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Trick or Treaters
Sunchimes 07:42 PM 10-31-2013
749 trick or treaters to our house tonight. They started at 5:30, and I ran out of candy at 8:25, and they were still coming.
Lucy 07:46 PM 10-31-2013
Holy cow!!!!!

My husband gets up at 1:30 am, so he obviously goes to bed early. We have to turn the porch light and all the lights in the front part of the house off and I go to the back of the house for the evening. So I have no idea if we even get ANY! I peaked outside twice and didn't see anybody.

749?? Whoa...
Leanna 07:47 PM 10-31-2013
Oh my word! I got maybe 50. That must have been a lot of candy!
mema 07:47 PM 10-31-2013
Holy canoly! That's a lot of kids and candy! We usually get around 75-100.
JoseyJo 07:56 PM 10-31-2013
We didn't have any- we usually don't as we are on a side street with not very many street lights.
ihop 08:14 PM 10-31-2013
Wow! I got 30. I would have been in deep trouble if I got anywhere close to that!
caregiver 08:17 PM 10-31-2013
We got about 76 tonight.
Cradle2crayons 09:46 PM 10-31-2013
There's not even that many people that live in my town lol

But I did have my resident possum come to the door to trick or treat if that counts? I didn't out any corn or sweet feed out for them today because it stormed all day. Apparently he wasn't happy with me about that. Husband said we should install a doorbell to make it easier for the possum.
Meeko 09:54 PM 10-31-2013
When the last daycare child left at 5:45PM....I shut the door, closed the curtains...turned out all lights in the front of the house and told my family to stay away from the door.

.....bliss.....
jenboo 10:47 PM 10-31-2013
Omg!! I should have sent you my candy! This year was a complete dud for us
Michael 11:07 PM 10-31-2013
I never thought about counting the kids that came to the door. Do you have a counter at the ready? I know we spent about $80 on bags of candy. It was slower here this year but I would say we had about 200-300.
snbauser 04:00 AM 11-01-2013
Wow!! I thought we had a lot! We had about 250 this year.
SSWonders 04:30 AM 11-01-2013
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
749 trick or treaters to our house tonight. They started at 5:30, and I ran out of candy at 8:25, and they were still coming.
Who counted??? T or T stopped at 8 here. We turned off our lights and still had kids coming to the door.
Cat Herder 04:45 AM 11-01-2013
I did not have even one trick or treater.... My county has taken over TRT by setting a 5-7pm limit. It was not even dark by then....

Party Poopers...

I miss Halloween.... Judgy Bible Belters...... Grrrr

Where is Kevin Bacon when you need him?????
originalkat 05:35 AM 11-01-2013
That is crazy! How do you afford the candy!?!?!?
snbauser 06:23 AM 11-01-2013
Originally Posted by SSWonders:
Who counted??? T or T stopped at 8 here. We turned off our lights and still had kids coming to the door.
I don't usually count per se but I know how much candy I buy and I usually only give one piece per person. So I know this year that I bought 2 bags that had 105 pieces each and ran out. So I got a big box of fruit snacks I had bought at Costco that my own kids decided they didn't particularly like. It had 80 in it. It is about 2/3 gone now. So guessing I had around 250 ToTers.
KIDZRMYBIZ 06:34 AM 11-01-2013
Holy Buckets! I can't believe those numbers!

In my suburban neighborhood of the little big city I thought we had a great turnout of about 75. And had an old client family stop by so that was fun.

Then dh had to go up the street at 10:15 and ask the neighbor to turn the music down (off would be even better). We normally would NEVER say anything-we are very much live and let live-but come on...almost every house around here has young children that have school or daycare this morning.
Onetiredmom 07:12 AM 11-01-2013
In the 12 years we've lived in our house, we've never had a single trick-or-treater. I don't even bother to buy candy any more. I send the last daycare kids off, get my kids in costume, and head out the neighborhood behind our house. My kids always come home well-supplied.
SilverSabre25 07:16 AM 11-01-2013
No trick or treaters here. And very few in the neighborhood, period. Most people don't even hand out candy. that why we go half a mile of the road to my sister's neighborhood. Tons of kids
My3cents 11:26 AM 11-01-2013
Originally Posted by jenboo:
Omg!! I should have sent you my candy! This year was a complete dud for us
same, we had 3
cheerfuldom 11:37 AM 11-01-2013
we had probably close to 100 kids. I loved it. We spent maybe $30 on candy and had to only do one candy per kid but we made it! My 5 year old dumped her own candy into the bucket for the neighborhood kids, she's a sweetie. I love trick or treaters! We decorated the porch in "alien eggs" which is glowing water balloons hanging in a stocking/nylon....very creepy looking at night. the kids loved it.
sharlan 11:44 AM 11-01-2013
We had 2 or 3. I didn't even answer the door.

We always go to our old neighborhood. The HOA provides hot dogs, sodas, chips, candy, etc. The grandkids TOT and I chit chat with old friends who still live in the neighborhood.

One of the local churches normally puts on a HUGE harvest festival on Halloween. The kids come dressed in costume, they have food candy, etc. I always thought it was very hypocritical because this pastor and his sheep managed to get Halloween and most other holidays taken out of the local schools. They didn't have their party this year.
jojosmommy 11:49 AM 11-01-2013
We had a few but were out with the kids TOT too. Some punks came and rang our bell at 925 though. Lights off inside and outside. Lets just say my marine corp husband explained to them TOT was over and to only go to houses with lights ON! lol
slorey 12:01 PM 11-01-2013
Holy guacamole that is a lot! We had the most we have ever had in the 10 years we have lived here, and that was only 45. I can't even imagine buying that much candy!
Sunchimes 01:29 PM 11-01-2013
I keep up by counting beforehand how many pieced I have. I keep track of the few (very few) kids I give 2 pieces and that's my total. It might be off by a dozen either way, but I doubt it. I started buying candy in August, a little here, a little there.

The church caddy corner from us has a huge trunk or treat, and when they leave there, we are the first lit house. There isn't a lot of door to door trick or treating, no one bothers to give away candy. I think there were 5 or 6 lit houses in a 2 block radius. Three or 4 churches do trunk or treat, and the Outlet Mall gives out candy, so they do ok. We are very rural, and kids from all the neighboring communities come into town for the TorT.

I dress up as a witch every year, play spooky music, and sit on the porch instead of making them knock on the door. Most years, my face is green and really scary looking. My just turned 3 dck told me a couple of months ago that I scared her last year and please not be a witch. I decided to be Cat in the Hat, but come one, $40 for a costume? We discussed it and reached a compromise, I'd be a witch, but without a green face. She was ok with that. I painted up my face to be sort of scary but not real scary.

Most years, there are a couple of kids that won't come to the porch until I take my hat and wig off to show them I'm real. This year, one kid about 8 or so was with a little one. When they were leaving, little one said, "She's scary." Older one said, "Nah, she's ok. She's out here every year." I posed for pictures no telling how many times. Maybe when these kids grow up they will bring their kids. ;-)

Our town doesn't regulate at all. Trunk or treat at the church starts at 6, so they usually start hitting here about 5:30. I've stayed on the porch as late as 9:30, but by 8:30 this year, it had slowed down to mostly older kids.
BrooklynM 01:37 PM 11-01-2013
OMG, that is a LOT of trick or treaters! We had between 225-250. My husband had to run to the store for more candy around 8, we weren't prepared for that many. There was no school yesterday or today so I think more people went out trick or treating. It was fun to see all of the kids in their little costumes
Tags:halloween
Reply Up