Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>OT-Gardening Help!
CrackerJacks 08:29 AM 01-03-2014
Okay ladies, last spring we installed a raised planter box (pics in the home decor group). Our first crop of veggies turned out Great! Everything else web planted has Not! I'm in CA so weather I don't think is the factor. But everything we plant stats out growing wonderfully the first few weeks then, BAM! It stops growing. Why? Why? Why? Any thoughts? I fertilize, water (not too much) and still I get stunted plants. We even just tried the PH expirement yesterday to see if maybe my soil was too acidic or alkaline and got no chemical reaction at all. Any green thumbs out there have any ideas?
Cat Herder 08:58 AM 01-03-2014
Are you turning your soil with each new crop? Literally flip the soil like an omelet then try mixing in a bag or two of "black cow".
Blackcat31 09:13 AM 01-03-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Are you turning your soil with each new crop? Literally flip the soil like an omelet then try mixing in a bag or two of "black cow".
Yep, just like anything else, the minerals and stuff get depleted with each crop.

You have to add back in whatever the previous years crops used up.

Each year, we till our soil up, add some "black cow" stuff and the leaves from our yard. ALL makes good food for the soil and makes the plants happy and content until harvest time.

It's also got a lot to do with WHAT you plant near/by each other.
Some plants do NOT do well near others.
Maria2013 11:04 AM 01-03-2014
I'm not sure if this can help you in this case, but if you have powdery mold problem, a mist of milk and water (once a week till cured) will clear it right up while instantly feed your plants through foliage absorption

I learned this while trying to figure out why my cucumber plants were beautiful the first few weeks then gradually turned ugly and stopped maturing fruits
CrackerJacks 02:16 PM 01-03-2014
So this "black cow" you talk of, is just cow manure right? I've added that and I also added soil amendment. Maybe I'll pull out the fava beans that have not done anything in 3mo and let the soil just sit for a few weeks, then give it a good mixing with some "black cow" and hope for the best.
Cat Herder 02:52 PM 01-03-2014
Originally Posted by CrackerJacks:
So this "black cow" you talk of, is just cow manure right? I've added that and I also added soil amendment. Maybe I'll pull out the fava beans that have not done anything in 3mo and let the soil just sit for a few weeks, then give it a good mixing with some "black cow" and hope for the best.
Sorry...

It is actually spelled Black Kow and is a composted form of manure. It does not have to break down to be used by the plants, like instant awesome soil. It is the go to natural fertilizer here. It is a name brand, but a common term here. (like all flavored sodas are "cokes" )
Attached: black kow.jpg (15.5 KB) 
Tags:gardening
Reply Up