Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Have You Ever Counted Your Daycare Steps?
Mom2Two 02:09 PM 01-02-2019
I mean walking steps. I've been noticing lately just how much I stay in motion when kids are here. I rarely get to sit down. Has anyone ever actually worn a fitbit or something and counted their daycare steps?

I put on a few pounds over Christmas, and I'm pretty sure that the less-active routine during my break had something to do with it.
sharlan 02:32 PM 01-02-2019
I definitely get a lot more steps in when the kids are here. It's 2:30 and I have 11,863 steps. I don't think I hit that combined the last 4 days.
much_lovee 02:33 PM 01-02-2019
My steps usually average 9,000-12,000 each day depending on the day. These are just actual steps. Majority of the time I’m on the floor scooting/crawling around. It’s about 4 1/2-5 1/2 miles a day. I joked that our carpet is going to need replaced soon with all of the walking
storybookending 08:56 PM 01-02-2019
I have worn a Fitbit every day for the last 4 years. I do about 6,500 steps daily during daycare hours doing in home in the winter. In the summer months it is a bit higher as we spend longer outdoors and even higher on the days we go on a walk. I hit 10,000 steps most days in the summer as my last kiddos are leaving on the days where there is no walk and on that afternoon walk on the days we take one.

Most of my time is spent when indoors like a PP said crawling on the floor and such and those steps do not count. I’ve actually noticed that sometimes it doesn’t register steps at all during nap when I take the 20 steps from the living room where I sit to peek in both nap rooms. I think I need a bigger house haha. I also get more steps when I have an infant in care than when I don’t which I thought was going to be the opposite but I guess more runs to the kitchen for bottles and more nap checks account for that.

When I worked school age care my shift was 2:30-6-PM and I easily got the 6,500 steps that I take all day doing in home during just in that 3.5 hours.
sharlan 07:38 AM 01-03-2019
Originally Posted by storybookending:
I have worn a Fitbit every day for the last 4 years. I do about 6,500 steps daily during daycare hours doing in home in the winter. In the summer months it is a bit higher as we spend longer outdoors and even higher on the days we go on a walk. I hit 10,000 steps most days in the summer as my last kiddos are leaving on the days where there is no walk and on that afternoon walk on the days we take one.

Most of my time is spent when indoors like a PP said crawling on the floor and such and those steps do not count. I’ve actually noticed that sometimes it doesn’t register steps at all during nap when I take the 20 steps from the living room where I sit to peek in both nap rooms. I think I need a bigger house haha. I also get more steps when I have an infant in care than when I don’t which I thought was going to be the opposite but I guess more runs to the kitchen for bottles and more nap checks account for that.

When I worked school age care my shift was 2:30-6-PM and I easily got the 6,500 steps that I take all day doing in home during just in that 3.5 hours.
Steps don't register when you're pushing a stroller either. A neighbor and I walk in the mornings for about an hour. I get about 600 steps.
storybookending 08:20 AM 01-03-2019
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Steps don't register when you're pushing a stroller either. A neighbor and I walk in the mornings for about an hour. I get about 600 steps.
Oh yes I knew this I put the Fitbit on my shoe when out with the daycare kiddos. Sometimes I forget and I get cranky hahaha or pushing the cart in the grocery store I always try to leave one arm swinging but that’s not possible with a stroller full

My elliptical also doesn’t count steps even if I put it on my shoe because the stride is not long enough
Tags:daycare environment, exercise
Reply Up