Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Scissors Cut - Documentation Protocol?
Peaches 01:00 PM 08-19-2015
Today at craft time, the preschoolers were working with scissors and the toddlers where coloring. I was helping another preschooler when my son (a toddler) grabbed the scissors one of the preschoolers finished with, and cut another toddler. I'm not sure if the act was malicious or just an accident and the other got his hands in the way. Regardless the cut is minor, but did bleed some, which I badged and applied Neosporin. I plan to tell the parents when they pickup. Is there any other protocol I need to do with documenting this type of incident since it was minor? Do I need to have the parents sign something or call licensing?
Baby Beluga 01:44 PM 08-19-2015
I don't know about licensing as I am licensed exempt. However, whenever a child is injured I make an incident report detailing what happened and any treatment given and have the parents sign off on it. They get a copy and I keep a copy in their file.

I think having them sign off on the incident report would be sufficient enough documentation.
Blackcat31 01:49 PM 08-19-2015
Originally Posted by Peaches:
Today at craft time, the preschoolers were working with scissors and the toddlers where coloring. I was helping another preschooler when my son (a toddler) grabbed the scissors one of the preschoolers finished with, and cut another toddler. I'm not sure if the act was malicious or just an accident and the other got his hands in the way. Regardless the cut is minor, but did bleed some, which I badged and applied Neosporin. I plan to tell the parents when they pickup. Is there any other protocol I need to do with documenting this type of incident since it was minor? Do I need to have the parents sign something or call licensing?
Nope, the only time you are required to notify licensing is if the child required immediate medical attention. Otherwise, minor cuts and minimal bloodshed is just part of the territory.

Sorry the situation happened, hope your parents are understanding.
Second Home 02:00 PM 08-19-2015
For me as long as we document a minor injury and notify the parents upon pick up we are fine . No need to call licensing unless the child needs to be seen by a dr.
daycare 02:14 PM 08-19-2015
only if it requires medical attention.

one thing, not sure if you already have a permission to administer neosporin, but if you don't , I would make certain that you have mom sign one at pick up.

I was told never put anything on the kids but soap and water unless you have signed documentation.
Tags:incident report, injury, scissors
Reply Up