Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Waiting List Procedure?
DBug 11:06 AM 03-03-2010
I've got two families on my waiting list right now (yay!), but since this is the first time I've had anyone waiting, I'm not sure what the ethical way to do things is.

Here's my dilemma: I have a mom due for mat. leave in a few months. So far it sounds like she'd like to have her oldest continue coming after the new baby's born. If she plans on registering her second with me when she eventually goes back to work, I would have her hold the spot with my usual holding fee. But here's my question -- would it be right for me to offer her a reserved spot when I've got two other families waiting for that spot? And besides the ethics question, of course, is the money question. My holding fee is half-rate. One of the two families would be willing to take the spot immediately, and therefore pay full-rate.

What would you do?
gkids09 11:29 AM 03-03-2010
I am having the SAME dilemma right now...My thought is this: I am already keeping the older brother...When the baby is old enough to start coming, he will be at the top of the list. I know it probably isn't fair for me to put him at the top over others, but if the family has to separate their kids because I filled a spot with someone else who has never been here before, they are more than likely going to take BOTH kids somewhere that they can be together. Then you have the dilemma of filling two spots (which you can do right now, but you never know what might happen.) Just a thought
Crystal 12:42 PM 03-03-2010
My current clients are always my priority. I have a Mom who is due in August and I am holding a spot for her. I do not charge a holding fee for current clients either, as I know they will be joining me and don't have to worry about them bailing on the spot.

Now, I do this because they keep the older child here, even while on leave. If they were to keep the older child home while on leave, that would open two spaces and the current client would be given the option of paying regular weekly rate for the older child and a holding fee for the baby, or the spaces ould be offered to a waitlisted family. I would only give the spaces to new clients if the curren clients were first informed and given a choice.
tymaboy 12:43 PM 03-03-2010
I give my existing families 1st choose. I would talk to her & see what her plans are before talking to anyone on your list.
MarinaVanessa 07:34 AM 03-04-2010
I agree with everyone here. I always place my current clients on the top of my list and give them priority. They're already enrolled and I wouldn't want to risk losing them both because I didn't have a spot for his sibling. Who wants to split up siblings and have two different providers?

On the other hand, I still call the other parent's and notify them that I have a temporary opening available and let them know the situation. I do this only so that the other parents on the waiting list know that I havn't forgotten about them. They never do want a temporary spot but it gives me an excuse to call and check to see if they are still interested or have found someone else. It keeps my waiting list current.

If an opportunity comes up to have another child as temporary or drop-in I still take it. The current family may be paying for me to hold a spot (which is guaranteed) but I can still watch another child until the day the new baby comes.
Tags:maternity leave, time off, waiting list
Reply Up