Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Foods You Hate (Or Refuse) To Serve?
JBWWCC 10:49 AM 06-01-2018
I am really starting to hate Mac and Cheese. These children leave my table with an orange tone that would put Donald Trump to shame. I don't understand how it happens? Stable noodle, insert noodle in mouth. Why is it EVERYWHERE? Also rice. Or crackers. I am 90 % certain they don't ever make it into their tiny food holes. However, the dog is happy.
Baby Beluga 11:34 AM 06-01-2018
I used to occasionally serve veggies straws as a treat. All of the kids used to eat them like a hamster would, shoving food into their mouth instead of taking a bite, chewing swallowing and repeating.

All I heard was "chomp chomp chomp" the entire snack. It grossed me out.

I don't serve them anymore.
hwichlaz 12:07 PM 06-01-2018
Rice is too messy unless I make sticky rice, which I won’t do because I only serve whole grains. I tend to save messy foods for Friday’s because that’s my big nap time clean up day.

I won’t serve things that smell strongly to the kids, like Brussels or cabbage, or really garlicy things.
Blackcat31 01:07 PM 06-01-2018
Wafer cookies

Just no.
BrynleeJean 01:12 PM 06-01-2018
oatmeal

so basic, so cheap, so easy and i guess nutritious, i just can't stomach it

so mushy. i just can't.
Cat Herder 01:12 PM 06-01-2018
Pickled beets, canned whole pickled Okra or Chow Chow. And yet, every year I get multiple jars of each as Christmas gifts.

Every. Year.
Blackcat31 01:13 PM 06-01-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Pickled beets, canned whole pickled Okra or Chow Chow. And yet, every year I get multiple jars of each as Christmas gifts.

Every. Year.
I’m happy I don’t know what any of them are
CityGarden 01:19 PM 06-01-2018
We serve snack only but I have asked parents to not send in the traditional rice cakes (too messy) and peanuts (due to allergies)....

Personally I do not like peas but will serve them in veggie soup, etc. for the kids.
Cat Herder 01:28 PM 06-01-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Our community has a public canning center where everyone takes the veggies from their personal gardens to prepare for winter. It is a big draw and hobby for many.

They also do the fruitcake baking weekends. Although, I love getting those (except for the ones with neon green cherries. What is that, anyway??). I hear I am the only person who does.
JBWWCC 01:28 PM 06-01-2018
Me either!
Cat Herder 01:35 PM 06-01-2018
Originally Posted by JBWWCC:
Me either!
http://katscanningtidbits.blogspot.c...ow-relish.html

Consider yourself educated. Pickled beets on left.
Kimskiddos 01:44 PM 06-01-2018
I love whole pickled okra! Been known to buy a jar from time to time. The others, not so much.

The food I really dislike to serve is rice, way too messy.
Blackcat31 01:45 PM 06-01-2018
http://katscanningtidbits.blogspot.c...ow-relish.html

Consider yourself educated. Pickled beets on left.
Um, No thanks.

Chow chow looks like some one threw up and canned it.
Cat Herder 01:47 PM 06-01-2018
Um, No thanks.

Chow chow looks like some one threw up and canned it.
Right? Don't even get me started on the pickled peaches. Why? Peach ice cream? I am all in.
Cat Herder 01:52 PM 06-01-2018
Originally Posted by Kimskiddos:
I love whole pickled okra! Been known to buy a jar from time to time. The others, not so much.

The food I really dislike to serve is rice, way too messy.
Trade you pickled okra for your fruitcakes, then?
Tin Blues 02:52 PM 06-01-2018
My daycare kids love pickled beets. First thing they choose to eat off the plate.

I hate rice. Every time I serve it, I swear never again.

I never serve creamed corn. It makes me gag. Since I can’t set a good example in front of the kids, it’s out of the rotation.
nannyde 02:56 PM 06-01-2018

Every. Year.
What is wrong with you? You don't like pickled beets?

That's just wrong.

i could eat them by the industrial size can!
nannyde 02:58 PM 06-01-2018
Onions and green peppers. Bleck
Cat Herder 03:03 PM 06-01-2018
Originally Posted by nannyde:

That's just wrong.

I just can't. I have pictures of me eating them as a toddler. Just can't get past the smell or stains, now.

Can't do bread and butter pickles, squirt butter or miracle whip, either.
Josiegirl 03:10 PM 06-01-2018
Celery. The few times I've tried serving it, no one at all will eat it. I hate serving rice but the dcks love it. If I miss cleaning any up, my dogs are great floor cleaners.
LysesKids 03:27 PM 06-01-2018

That's just wrong.

I love picked beets... and even better is taking the juice & pouring it over hard boiled eggs in a small jar. Great snack that is quick ( makes for some unique deviled eggs too lol); now you won't find peas in any menu here because I am deathly allergic to them & fresh pineapple... I can eat canned. but not fresh ( it's the cooking process that changes the enzymes)
BumbleBee 04:26 PM 06-01-2018
Olives. I hate everything about olives. Can't stand the smell, I will gag and I'm not a gagger. I can't even do olive oil because it smells faintly of olives.
storybookending 04:28 PM 06-01-2018
I am with whoever said celery. My kids won’t touch it, even with raisins and peanut butter.. sucks bc it’s my favorite snack. I also gave up on chicken noodle soup and grapefruit.

I HATE the smell of cooked peas, I haven’t stopped serving them though. Rice is also annoying but they love it so much!
Ariana 05:09 PM 06-01-2018
Muffins. I hate muffins. After I serve muffins it looks like 40 king rats came to the table and ate. Crumbs EVERYWHERE!! For some reason instead of putting the muffin in their mouths they have to break the pieces off in their hands first and then deposit it in their mouths.
LysesKids 05:43 PM 06-01-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Muffins. I hate muffins. After I serve muffins it looks like 40 king rats came to the table and ate. Crumbs EVERYWHERE!! For some reason instead of putting the muffin in their mouths they have to break the pieces off in their hands first and then deposit it in their mouths.
That's why I make mini muffins only... not near the waste & perfect for toddlers lol
Febby 02:47 AM 06-02-2018
Peaches. I never liked them and when I got pregnant, the smell made me vomit. Now I just don't want them anywhere near me. None of my kids like them either, so I just don't.
LK5kids 03:44 AM 06-02-2018

That's just wrong.

Me too!
DaveA 05:02 AM 06-02-2018
Eggs. Can bake with them, but I will not cook them. Hard Pass on those.
CeriBear 09:42 AM 06-02-2018
I don’t plan the menus at the center where I work but if it were up to me I would never serve green peas. I can’t stand the smell, the majority of the kids don’t like them, some of the kids play with them, and they get spilled on the floor. It’s hard to clean up the floor quickly and they get stepped on and smashed.
Mad_Pistachio 12:29 PM 06-02-2018
popcorn.
most kids use it as snow for a snowball fight instead of eating, and the lunchroom looks like it's been through an atomic war.
Unregistered 04:22 PM 06-02-2018
Originally Posted by JBWWCC:
I am really starting to hate Mac and Cheese. These children leave my table with an orange tone that would put Donald Trump to shame. I don't understand how it happens? Stable noodle, insert noodle in mouth. Why is it EVERYWHERE? Also rice. Or crackers. I am 90 % certain they don't ever make it into their tiny food holes. However, the dog is happy.
I stopped serving crackers when kids were either mushing them in their mouth and not swallowing (to spit or eat later) or breaking them on purpose.

I will not serve
Crackers
Cold food (Icecream, pop sickles, ect.)
Party food (Gee, mom, thanks for making me celebrate their birthday. I.e. clean the mess and deal with hyper kids.)
Pizza (I've had too many child who supposedly can't have it due to health issues. Yet will scream "I EAT IT AT HOME!")
Non chicken meat. (Too many people refusing to eat nonchicken meat. Also questioning how it was cooked. Yes, I feed your child undercooked meat. :/)
nannyde 04:40 PM 06-02-2018
Originally Posted by LK5kids:
Me too!
I always trusted Cathearder but now I simply can't. She probably likes black Licorice, Dr Pepper, and Vanilla ice cream.

My trust of a person is based upon their liking of one or more of these three. If they like all three, the trifecta of ick, you should proceed with extreme caution. 😉
Unregistered 05:09 PM 06-02-2018
Originally Posted by BrynleeJean:
oatmeal

so basic, so cheap, so easy and i guess nutritious, i just can't stomach it

so mushy. i just can't.
Every time I serve this, a child throws up. I've never connect it until afterwards.
CeriBear 06:49 PM 06-02-2018
I hate taco days. The kids love them but they make such a mess with the ground beef, shredded lettuce, and rice.
Jiminycrickets 12:20 PM 06-03-2018
Cornbread. I always forget and make it for the kiddos and then I am stepping in crumbs that have somehow worked themselves into every corner of my house for the next day and a half. It's worse than glitter.
mamamanda 12:29 PM 06-03-2018
Spaghetti. I personally love it. But my husband & both boys can't stand the texture. And my dcks seem to think they need to eat it with their fingers & then smear it all over anything within reach. So...it's now just a special treat for my DD & myself once in a while.
Josiegirl 03:40 PM 06-03-2018
Yogurt has been getting annoying lately. Everybody loves it but for some reason it has gotten to be a food worthy of playing with. They try to make mustaches on themselves or the 20 mo who knows how to use utensils, all of a sudden wants to use her fingers.
Jamie 04:20 AM 06-04-2018
I have all under 3s, so rice is a no go

My place is open plan - entrance, kitchen, living room is one big room, so I don't serve strong smelling things, because then we'll be smelling brussel sprouts all day long
Cat Herder 01:00 PM 06-04-2018
I always trusted Cathearder but now I simply can't. She probably likes black Licorice, Dr Pepper, and Vanilla ice cream.

My trust of a person is based upon their liking of one or more of these three. If they like all three, the trifecta of ick, you should proceed with extreme caution. 😉
Now I want a Dr. Pepper float. A root beer float is so much better, though. Breyers vanilla with homemade caramel sauce and whipped cream, oh yum.

Can't do the black licorice, though. Nope, just can't do it. Love black olives, though.
daycarediva 03:45 AM 06-06-2018
I don't serve-
highly processed/sugary snacks-cookies, cakes, etc
canned vegetables or fruit (gag me)
bacon (because the greasy fat and smell alone make me gag)

and the rest of the 'do not serve foods' are because my crew is ridiculous picky and won't eat any normal food.
WHITE rice
ANY casserole or combined dish
oatmeal
any muffin not chocolate chip
and about 10000000 other things.

Ariana 10:59 AM 06-06-2018
Now I want a Dr. Pepper float. A root beer float is so much better, though. Breyers vanilla with homemade caramel sauce and whipped cream, oh yum.

Can't do the black licorice, though. Nope, just can't do it. Love black olives, though.
you two are hilarious!!

Whenever my milk supply would dip every month during my cycle when I was breastfeeding I had to drink fennel tea to get it back up. Fennel tastes exactly like black licorice. Soooooo gross!!
tenderhearts 12:27 PM 06-06-2018
Rice, mac & cheese I'm almost ready but not quite there yet, muffins, granola bars
nannyde 09:41 AM 06-07-2018

Vanilla ice cream WITH something like delicious caramel or chocolate doesn't count but nice try.

Whoops I forgot the black olives as the fourth ick. Bleh

I like the green ones though. They are yum.
Cat Herder 10:33 AM 06-07-2018
Vanilla ice cream WITH something like delicious caramel or chocolate doesn't count but nice try.

Whoops I forgot the black olives as the fourth ick. Bleh

I like the green ones though. They are yum.
Fair enough.

My DH invented "Not-ch-yo's" a few months ago for me when I was on a rainy day Masterpiece Classic Marathon bingefest and neither wanted to cook.

Round Tostitos covered with diced left-over grilled steak, sliced green olives and shredded jalapeño white cheddar. Bake on cookie sheet until cheese is gooey and chips are crisp. The olives set off the jalapeño and cheese in a way that is just
Tags:food, food - hate to serve
Reply Up