Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Another Biting Question...
TaylorTots 10:03 AM 05-19-2014
I had a biting incident here today during play. DCB 15m first incident though we have had the typical behaviors of this age (LOTS of hitting). It wasn't a bad bite (no marks as of a few hours later) and he responded quickly to the "NO biting, biting hurts." and hasn't repeated since. His hitting is slowly improving too. I don't have a zero tolerance policy for biting - my policy is provider discretion. His response indicates a need for continued work rather than termination in my opinion. Any future biting incidents will of course be handled individually with that same discretion.

I have read tons of biting threads on the forum and feel like I have a grasp on my conversation with mom today at pickup:

"DCK bit a child today. Though his actions are not abnormal for his developmental age as he is learning to communicate, there is no biting at daycare. I am already shadowing him heavily due to his hitting inclination during play and will continue to do so. When I cannot shadow him (e.g. preparing a meal), I will be putting him in the pack and play next to me for now. Our response to biting is "NO biting, biting hurts."

Thoughts? Trying to keep it short and sweet and let DCM know what I will be doing to stop the behavior.
preschoolteacher 10:43 AM 05-19-2014
Perfect!!
llpa 10:58 AM 05-19-2014
I think it sounds good! I would poss add that while you anticipate it getting better, you will keep her posted if it should get worse and reassess at that point. I like that you are somewhat tolerant of the situation. ( to a point, obviously) kids deserve another chance, especially in this situation. Sounds like you have a good handle on that little guy
Heidi 11:41 AM 05-19-2014
That sounds great!

One thing I've done for young toddlers is also give them something they CAN bite. I'd wait to see if it happens again. My guess is it will, honestly, but maybe not.

If it does, I would put a teether on a pacifier strap, and redirect to that. "We don't bite people. That hurts! Here, you can bite THIS".

I have had real success with that over the years.
Reply Up