Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Breach of Contract
Jamie 11:18 AM 06-29-2014
Hi everyone, I hope it's okay for a nanny to ask for advice here, as I understand (from lurking here and learning so much from you clever people ) that many of you have worked as nannies before daycare.

So, here goes:

Breach of contract?
« on: Today at 07:10:10 PM »
18 months ago, I started working for my current family.
In my contract, it states that I live in and work at *** adress, "and in holiday periods, at *** adress", the latter being the family's beach house.

Their home is just outside of the city, and when I had just moved there, MB and DB encouraged me to go out, meet people, do stuff. After a few months, I was part of a Bible study group, a member of a community theater group, and in a local support group for relatives of compulsive gamblers (my ex husband was one )

Then MB and DB decided to have work done on their house - a LOT of work. So, one day they told me we were going to live at the beach house for a fortnight while the work was being done, and we would leave the next day!! I scrambled to pack up my own and the children's things, and the next day we left.
A fortnight became a month, two months, three months... We have now been living in the beach house for a total of seven months.

The beach house is lovely, but far away from the city. I cannot partake in any of my outside-of-work interests while we are there, and the village is so small that there's nothing to do. There's a library and a church, and that's all. Neither the church nor the library host any events. There's not even a playgroup for the children!

I'm feeling trapped, and I literally feel like I'm going crazy. The depression I struggle with as a result of my ex husband's gambling is back, and I don't know what to do.

Since my contract states "holiday periods", can I claim that staying at the bech house for so long is a breach of contract?

What would you do?
cheerfuldom 11:37 AM 06-29-2014
Do you want to quit? I don't think you need a specific reason to quit although you certainly have one. What I mean is that you do not need to validate your decision at all. If you are ready to turn in your notice, I would let the family know that this situation is no longer working and you are giving your X week notice to terminate the care agreement. You can certainly point out the beach house situation but again, you don't need to prove a breech of contract in order to find a new job.
NightOwl 11:52 AM 06-29-2014
But if you are a live in nanny, I would definitely job hunt first! You don't want to be out on the street! I understand your dilemma, but I must admit I'm still a little jealous. Being sequestered to a beach house doesn't sound like a raw deal. I understand it's more difficult to get to your functions, but is it impossible? What about asking for a temporary raise to accommodate the inconvenience of paying so much more for gas money? Yes, they are in breech of contact, but I don't think they realize this is a big deal for you.
daycare 12:16 PM 06-29-2014
Yes breech of contract

My only questions is have you talked to them about this? They won't know it is bothering you if you don't communicate with them.

I have 4 employees and I tell all of them, if ever there is something bothering you I need you to talk with me about it right away. They wont know how to help you if you don't talk with them and give them the chance to fix it. If they don't fix it in a reasonable time, then I would be job hunting.

I like the idea of asking for an increase in pay so you can still attend your normal functions.
Reply Up