Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>But The Sick Child Is Not Enrolled..Vent And Help
daycare 01:32 PM 11-10-2016
I have a policy that states sick people/children may not enter into the daycare for any reason.

The other day, I had a dcp bring in a sibling not enrolled into the childcare, knowing the child has been very sick. sounds like this child has a very bad flur, vomiting and fever.

not only did the parent bring the child in, but put the child down and let them play. I lost my cool.

This is not the first time that this has happened with this family.

this morning, dcp comes in a rush. DCK says my brother is going to the hospital they are super sick. DCP says no they are not, they are not sick and not going to the hospital. subject is dropped.

fast forward to an hour ago. DCK of this family has a fever, I call for pick up. DCP says sorry I can't get to dck, I am at the hospital with sibling, can you call DCD. OMG you totally lied to me this morning, you said the child was not sick and was not going to the hospital.

DCK just got picked up 15 minutes ago. I do not even know what to do moving forward. I am super mad right now.

how would you handle this??
e.j. 01:48 PM 11-10-2016
Originally Posted by daycare:
I have a policy that states sick people/children may not enter into the daycare for any reason.

The other day, I had a dcp bring in a sibling not enrolled into the childcare, knowing the child has been very sick. sounds like this child has a very bad flur, vomiting and fever.

not only did the parent bring the child in, but put the child down and let them play. I lost my cool.

This is not the first time that this has happened with this family.

this morning, dcp comes in a rush. DCK says my brother is going to the hospital they are super sick. DCP says no they are not, they are not sick and not going to the hospital. subject is dropped.

fast forward to an hour ago. DCK of this family has a fever, I call for pick up. DCP says sorry I can't get to dck, I am at the hospital with sibling, can you call DCD. OMG you totally lied to me this morning, you said the child was not sick and was not going to the hospital.

DCK just got picked up 15 minutes ago. I do not even know what to do moving forward. I am super mad right now.

how would you handle this??
Assuming you spoke up the last time she brought a sick child into your day care, I would term. I don't term easily but to me, disregarding my sick policy (not once but at least twice), putting the other dc kids at risk and lying about illness serious enough to hospitalize a child would get me to that point.
finsup 02:36 PM 11-10-2016
Term.
The disrespect, the lying, not being the first time and we're talking sick enough for the hospital not a cold...no question they wouldn't be coming back. They put your family and other clients at risk, what sounds like more then one. Ugh...so mad for you.

When did dck's fever show up? Did she dose and drop him?
daycare 02:43 PM 11-10-2016
Originally Posted by finsup:
Term.
The disrespect, the lying, not being the first time and we're talking sick enough for the hospital not a cold...no question they wouldn't be coming back. They put your family and other clients at risk, what sounds like more then one. Ugh...so mad for you.

When did dck's fever show up? Did she dose and drop him?
this is a sibling, not an enrolled child. BUT the parent brings the child in when they come to drop and pick up.

Just tuesday dcd brought the child in and I could tell the child was ill, I said is he sick, dcd said yes, I asked him to wait out on the porch and I will get dck enrolled ready to goi. Which he did with no issues.

next day. dcm comes in has sibling with her and I say sorry dck needs to wait out on the porch with you, DCM said no fever or illness since tuesay, I said it's still been 24 hours, please wait out. DCM says in an upset tone of voice with a sigh, fine.

then this happened this morning.

I am jsut really angry that the dcm is lying and they are breaking policy. They have asked to to have the sibling on my wait list to enroll when the older sibling ages out, but this sibling has been ill since the day I met them. There is NO way I cold enroll that child.....and now after this...heck no...
sharlan 02:57 PM 11-10-2016
T.e.r.m!!!!!
finsup 03:01 PM 11-10-2016
this is a sibling, not an enrolled child. BUT the parent brings the child in when they come to drop and pick up.

Just tuesday dcd brought the child in and I could tell the child was ill, I said is he sick, dcd said yes, I asked him to wait out on the porch and I will get dck enrolled ready to goi. Which he did with no issues.

next day. dcm comes in has sibling with her and I say sorry dck needs to wait out on the porch with you, DCM said no fever or illness since tuesay, I said it's still been 24 hours, please wait out. DCM says in an upset tone of voice with a sigh, fine.

then this happened this morning.

I am jsut really angry that the dcm is lying and they are breaking policy. They have asked to to have the sibling on my wait list to enroll when the older sibling ages out, but this sibling has been ill since the day I met them. There is NO way I cold enroll that child.....and now after this...heck no...
Even if he's not enrolled, it's still really disrespectful and put your family plus dck's at risk If a parent lies to me like that, the trust is gone and I have a really hard time working with families after that.
Leigh 03:08 PM 11-10-2016
I'd term immediately. First, they lied to you. Second, they exposed you and all of the other kids to this illness intentionally. I wouldn't even discuss it.

"DCM, I have come to the decision to end care immediately due to your intentionally exposing me and everyone in my care to this illness that is serious enough to warrant a trip to the hospital, and most importantly, because you LIED to me about it. I won't be providing care from today forward."
daycare 03:34 PM 11-10-2016
I am so boiling mad right now its going to take me a few to calm down before I can write a term letter.

thanks ladies, I am really not comfortable moving forward with this family. I know that I would always question everything they say.
Blackcat31 05:26 PM 11-10-2016
I am so boiling mad right now its going to take me a few to calm down before I can write a term letter.

thanks ladies, I am really not comfortable moving forward with this family. I know that I would always question everything they say.
When the trust is broken the relationship is over.

Sucks but it won't get any better because the resentment will grow. Better to just cut your losses and move on.

Its SO much less stressful.
Mom2Two 05:36 PM 11-10-2016
Since the parents are acting like they think you are being unreasonable, I would say term the family. You can't get them to change their minds--if they believe they are being victimized, they'll keep acting up.
Ariana 05:42 PM 11-10-2016
I agree with either terming OR writing a very strong email with the threat to term if things do not improve.

If this is a family that routinely bends the rules I would be done.
Mom2Two 05:48 PM 11-10-2016
I would be careful to say that it was disregard for policies and disregard for verbal requests or at least write it out and keep it so that you remember if it's ever questioned. I would hate to have it implied that you termed unjustly.
LysesKids 08:25 PM 11-10-2016
Originally Posted by Mom2Two:
I would be careful to say that it was disregard for policies and disregard for verbal requests or at least write it out and keep it so that you remember if it's ever questioned. I would hate to have it implied that you termed unjustly.
The fact the parent sent the enrolled kid into care ill violated policy... the undo stress the OP had to deal with before hand was reason enough to term in my view (the ill child that wasn't enrolled).

After 17 years of childcare, I also agree to term immediately. The parent LIED about how sick one of her children was AND said she couldn't pick up the other kid that was enrolled ( who ended up being ill also) because she was at the hospital with the ill child she lied about. Refusal to pick up an ill child from childcare is considered negligence by CPS standards in many states AND it means immediate termination as is stated in my childcare policies ( I worked in the abuse system & courts for 15 years prior to doing childcare).

I deal with infants only and I have terminated contracts when a parent knowingly brings a sick kid into my home, knowing my babies aren't immune to most things. And yes, my families sign a contract saying they will abide by written policies of my childcare...
Unregistered 03:10 AM 11-11-2016
The child might not have been that sick. I know a parent who use the hospital as their regular medical care. They don't have any peditrician at all. They just take their children to the hospital for every little thing. Besides if the child is that sick its likely the sibling will get it anyway and he/she will be contagious before they even show symptoms and it will be in your home anyway.
LysesKids 04:22 AM 11-11-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
The child might not have been that sick. I know a parent who use the hospital as their regular medical care. They don't have any peditrician at all. They just take their children to the hospital for every little thing. Besides if the child is that sick its likely the sibling will get it anyway and he/she will be contagious before they even show symptoms and it will be in your home anyway.
If one of my parents takes their child to the hospital it's always been serious; there is no excuse for a kid not to have access to a pediatrician or clinic... I deal with special needs & fragile foster babies a lot - that little "cold" for your child could mean a serious life threatening illness to one of my babies and I would term immediately if you had lied to me about how sick your child was
Blackcat31 06:17 AM 11-11-2016
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
If one of my parents takes their child to the hospital it's always been serious; there is no excuse for a kid not to have access to a pediatrician or clinic... I deal with special needs & fragile foster babies a lot - that little "cold" for your child could mean a serious life threatening illness to one of my babies and I would term immediately if you had lied to me about how sick your child was
This ^^^

I REFUSE to keep a family in care that purposely put others at risk.

Whether the family simply uses the ER as a regular clinic or not....the mother LIED....and like I said in my previous post; when the trust is gone, the relationship is over.
Rockgirl 06:32 AM 11-11-2016
The parents had already acknowledged that the child was sick the two previous days. They had been asked to keep the child on the porch. Besides, why should the child have to be "that sick"? The provider could clearly see that the child was sick, and the parents chose to disregard. They blatantly broke policy
e.j. 06:52 AM 11-11-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I get what you're saying. As far as contagion is concerned, there is a possibility that the enrolled sibling could bring the illness in to day care before showing symptoms but why increase that risk by bringing in the sick child and plunking him down to play with the day care kids - especially after being asked at least twice previously to keep that child out on the porch and out of the day care?

My brother is a paramedic and based on things he's told us, you're right - there are parents who do use the ER basically for primary care and they often call an ambulance to get there. This doesn't seem to be the case in this situation though. OP wrote:

DCP says no they are not, they are not sick and not going to the hospital.
Parents who try to sneak things past their providers need to know... If your kid can talk, he/she will rat you out almost every time. Your provider may not term over it but she often knows more than you think she knows. Destroying her trust is not the best way to go.
Mom2Two 11:20 AM 11-11-2016
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
Yes, it's true. DD is a former preemie, and we spent quite a few years with the main goal of keeping her well enough that she didn't need to be admitted into the PICU (where they catch whatever from seriously ill children in the next room). I have been a real maniac about my sick policy, but what have my choices been?

With being in touch with other sick preemie moms over the years, keeping your sick children off them is a huge deal. And even getting healthy siblings of a SN kid sick is a big deal, because they take it home.
AmyKidsCo 02:14 PM 11-11-2016
ITA about terming. If it was a one-time thing I'd give her another chance but there's been repeated blatant disregard for policies and repeated blatant lying. If you can't trust her to tell you the truth about these things, can you trust her to tell you the truth about anything?
KiwiKids 10:05 PM 11-11-2016
I would term because of the lies. I can not stand being lied to and ironically parents always seem to get themselves caught when they try!
Reply Up