Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Much Food Do You Feed Children Who Want More....
TSDaycare 08:15 AM 03-16-2011
All of my dk's eat what I consider is a normal amount except for one, this little boy is 19 months and will eat as much as a 10 year old if not more! Im talking he has eaten 2 grilled cheese sandwiches, plus a serving of fruits and veggies and a slice of toast! He has eaten like this since he has been on table food, every meal. Snack time he will eat whatever amount I will give him unless he doesn't like it. He inhales his food and is done a full plate usually within 5 mins of sitting down. Now I feel like a toddler plate full of food, with 5 different selections because I am on the food program is enough, so I don't give him anymore even though he asks for it. Feeding him alone is expensive since he normally eats enough for 2 kids!
Mrs.Ky 08:22 AM 03-16-2011
Do we have the same daycare child lol. I have a 15 month old who will eat and eat and eat if I let him like yesterday we had ham, mac n cheese, peas, and peaches I usually give about 3- 4 tablespoons of each thing he will always eat 2nds and 3rds I never allow him 4th's I think its way to much food after 3rd's plus his belly is always big after eating I know he is full he is getting to be a chunk too.
nannyde 08:31 AM 03-16-2011
He's just in the chowmation with dedication phase. Most kids go thru this at this age.

I would make him a one handed mitted long sleeve shirt and have him eat one handed. Change every day the side that is blocked (put it on him front ways one day... and then back ways the next) so he gets a chance to pick up food both left handed and right thru the week.

Slowing him down will give time for his tummy to tell his brain he is getting full. Once he gets used to eating slower he will just naturally do it.

Make his food into little tiny bits like the size of a pencil eraser and SPRAY them over his plate or tray. This way there is space in between each bite. Don't let him mountain them together so he can get a gianormous handfull. He will get his little pincer on and slooooooooowwwww down. Mealtime will be pleasant and he will get a good workout.

http://www.nanshouse.com/apps/photos...toid=106924235

http://www.nanshouse.com/apps/photos...toid=106924234

http://www.nanshouse.com/apps/photos...toid=106924236
youretooloud 08:32 AM 03-16-2011
I have kids like this too. I have a couple of four year old girls who come twice a week that eat like football players. I cut them off after what basically amounts to a second lunch.

Both four year old girls are considered overweight. SO, I probably should cut them off a little sooner. But, I feel bad. I don't want anyone hungry... especially since our afternoon snack is kind of lame.
Meyou 08:38 AM 03-16-2011
I give seconds if they ask. An apple or a peanut butter sandwich. Nothing else. If they're really hungry they don't mind the limited selection. If they aren't really hungry an apple or sandwich isnt appealing so they decide they're done.

It does sound like your little guy doesn't have time to let anything settle though. I love nannyde's idea's. I do the small scattered bites all the time when transitioning little ones to table food.
dEHmom 08:39 AM 03-16-2011
hey Nan, how come most of the kids have the same jackets? Do you supply them if they forget?
jen 08:44 AM 03-16-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
hey Nan, how come most of the kids have the same jackets? Do you supply them if they forget?
Hey! They do! Whats up with that?
nannyde 08:45 AM 03-16-2011
Yes I provide hats, coats, shoes, gloves, mittens, mitted sweatshirts, sweatshirts, and sweat pants for outer layers.

That way I have everything I need every day no matter what. I don't use their clothes for outside. It saves a TON of time in dressing them.
Christian Mother 09:13 AM 03-16-2011
I have a little guy who turns 2 the end of this month and he is almost the size of my 4 yr old. Parents are 6 2" - 6 5". This little guy is a line backer in training. He will eat and eat if you let him. But what I do is give each thing one at a time in little pieces scattered all over his tray. Main food, veggies, then fruit..and if he eats all that then honey graham cookies. He tends to try and grab everything with both hands and stuff all into his mouth. He doesn't quite know how to use a spoon yet...need to get him on using that bc that would be easier on getting him to slow down. So he focuses on getting food on the spoon and not directly (hand to mouth). I have the same problem with him drinking his cups...he guzzles and makes the gulping noises even though I know he isn't thirsty...he just makes these noises every time. Any ideals on how to get him to slow down his drinking and guzzling??
Lucy 09:29 AM 03-16-2011
Unless he is unusually heavy, I would let him eat what he wants. If he showed signs of a glandular problem, the parents would need to have it checked out, but if it's just normal development, let the kid eat!!

I, personally, would never bind any child's hand to prevent them from eating the amount their body needs that day. Please check with the parents if you have a concern over the amount he is eating before you take any harsh measures.

Edited to add: If SPEED of eating is the problem, I would just give him smaller amounts at a time. He can have more, but don't give him a whole lot at once. And if it were me, I would probably remind him throughout the meal "slow down please".
nannyde 09:42 AM 03-16-2011
Originally Posted by Christian Mother:
I have a little guy who turns 2 the end of this month and he is almost the size of my 4 yr old. Parents are 6 2" - 6 5". This little guy is a line backer in training. He will eat and eat if you let him. But what I do is give each thing one at a time in little pieces scattered all over his tray. Main food, veggies, then fruit..and if he eats all that then honey graham cookies. He tends to try and grab everything with both hands and stuff all into his mouth. He doesn't quite know how to use a spoon yet...need to get him on using that bc that would be easier on getting him to slow down. So he focuses on getting food on the spoon and not directly (hand to mouth). I have the same problem with him drinking his cups...he guzzles and makes the gulping noises even though I know he isn't thirsty...he just makes these noises every time. Any ideals on how to get him to slow down his drinking and guzzling??
Can you give him a spouted cup that only has two small holes? The more tension there is there the harder he has to suck. That will slow him down. If you aren't on a food program you could dilute his drink down a bit. The more watered down the drink is the more they will slow down. You could also give him water first and then follow with the real drink.

One of my dck's choked during this phase with the two fisted eating/slamming food thing when she was at home. She could do a bilateral tray scoop at the same time (scooping from outside to inside) and would put both hands in her mouth one after another. The poor mom was scared so badly. I taught her the long sleeved mitted shirt trick and she was SO grateful. She used it for a few weeks to get her to slow down.

Even though this is a tough phase it can be used for good and not evil. THIS is the time to introduce the harder to get to eat veggies and meats. They are so much more receptive of food during this phase that you can lay on some of the harder to accept veggies, meats, and high fiber grains.

One thing too to remember during this time is that they are so busy slamming it in that they have a short chew/swallow time. When you block off one side and have them do it one handed it naturally slows them down. This means the food in the mouth will stay in the mouth longer if they don't have another handfull coming towards the mouth.

If they are swallowing whole food they can have a lot of tummy upset and undigested food diarrhea. Getting them to slow down can help the whole chain of digestion. It only takes a couple of weeks to get them to see the value of taking the time to chew and enjoy the meal. As long as you are switching sides each day... at the end of the week they have used both hands the same as they would with double fisted eating.

It works really well.

Oh and the noises during eating. LOL I have one that says ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm with EVERY bite. She comes from a long line of cooks and knows some good grub. I get her food review the ENTIRE meal.
youretooloud 11:49 AM 03-16-2011
Originally Posted by Joyce:
Unless he is unusually heavy, I would let him eat what he wants. If he showed signs of a glandular problem, the parents would need to have it checked out, but if it's just normal development, let the kid eat!!

I, personally, would never bind any child's hand to prevent them from eating the amount their body needs that day. Please check with the parents if you have a concern over the amount he is eating before you take any harsh measures.

Edited to add: If SPEED of eating is the problem, I would just give him smaller amounts at a time. He can have more, but don't give him a whole lot at once. And if it were me, I would probably remind him throughout the meal "slow down please".
I agree with this. If this is a neurotypical child, there's really no reason to restrain his hands. I think that would be in violation of something. The child's rights if nothing else.

Check with the parents and ask them if they see it as a problem. If feeding him is getting expensive (I totally understand how that can be! I've been there several times myself.) then perhaps ask the parents to chip in food every week. I think most parents are happy to do that.
Christian Mother 11:55 AM 03-16-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Can you give him a spouted cup that only has two small holes? The more tension there is there the harder he has to suck. That will slow him down. If you aren't on a food program you could dilute his drink down a bit. The more watered down the drink is the more they will slow down. You could also give him water first and then follow with the real drink.

One of my dck's choked during this phase with the two fisted eating/slamming food thing when she was at home. She could do a bilateral tray scoop at the same time (scooping from outside to inside) and would put both hands in her mouth one after another. The poor mom was scared so badly. I taught her the long sleeved mitted shirt trick and she was SO grateful. She used it for a few weeks to get her to slow down.

Even though this is a tough phase it can be used for good and not evil. THIS is the time to introduce the harder to get to eat veggies and meats. They are so much more receptive of food during this phase that you can lay on some of the harder to accept veggies, meats, and high fiber grains.

One thing too to remember during this time is that they are so busy slamming it in that they have a short chew/swallow time. When you block off one side and have them do it one handed it naturally slows them down. This means the food in the mouth will stay in the mouth longer if they don't have another handfull coming towards the mouth.

If they are swallowing whole food they can have a lot of tummy upset and undigested food diarrhea. Getting them to slow down can help the whole chain of digestion. It only takes a couple of weeks to get them to see the value of taking the time to chew and enjoy the meal. As long as you are switching sides each day... at the end of the week they have used both hands the same as they would with double fisted eating.

It works really well.

Oh and the noises during eating. LOL I have one that says ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm with EVERY bite. She comes from a long line of cooks and knows some good grub. I get her food review the ENTIRE meal.
Love it!! For lunch I gave him a big boy sticky bowl with a grip spoon. He doesn't use spoons to often..just his hands to aid him so today he loved having a spoon and it took forever for him to eat but it def. slowed him down and by the time his food was gone he was very clean. Hands were not so messy and face and hair!! I also made sure that he had one food item at a time. He is ashually such a good eater. We are not on the food program but bc my family eats healthy all the kids here do as well. We love those steamers...you know the ones with broccoli and carrots with cheese and pasta? I also get the single servings of corn and veggies they sale at the grocery store. My kids love them...not to mention my family does too. Makes it simple to serve. As far as his sippy...he has the playtex long spouted cups that have 2 little holes at the top. It also has the stoppers inside to slow down drinking but he is still gusseling like he's downing it. Do you think I should take that part off? The kids are good about putting there cups back up on the table after they have finished taking there sips of it?...
dEHmom 12:01 PM 03-16-2011
Whats the general time to feel full? Is it still 20 mins?

I have always stalled the kids a bit with their meals. I know my ds is saying "i want more when I'm done" before he even eats what he has. So I say finish what you have first.

Then He says I want more please, and I stall for a few minutes.

I know when I eat slow, I eat a lot less and don't feel too full afterwards, whereas the faster you eat, the more you stuff in, and then about half hour later I am almost sick I've eaten too much and feel like my tummy is going to explode. I imagine this is no different for a kid especially considering the size of their stomach. The more you shove in, the more you stretch it out, the more you need to fill it next time.
kidkair 12:03 PM 03-16-2011
I give fast eaters just a little at a time and make them wait for more since I'm eating too. It takes very little time before they get the idea and slow down or wait calmly. By age 1 I don't give them more until they sign for it and are not screaming.

I give all the kids only what is recommended by the USDA food program. They all know that they'll get more later at the next meal and they can always have water in between meals.
nannyde 12:31 PM 03-16-2011
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
I agree with this. If this is a neurotypical child, there's really no reason to restrain his hands. I think that would be in violation of something. The child's rights if nothing else.
Nah it's not a restraint. 50 years ago it would have been considered abusing a parent and child's right to put them in a car seat. Now we have five point harnesses and laws that require it.

There's times when it's in the kids best interest to block. Here are some examples of situations I've found the mitted shirts to come in handy.

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...ighlight=shirt

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...ighlight=shirt
nannyde 12:41 PM 03-16-2011
Whats the general time to feel full? Is it still 20 mins?

I have always stalled the kids a bit with their meals. I know my ds is saying "i want more when I'm done" before he even eats what he has. So I say finish what you have first.

Then He says I want more please, and I stall for a few minutes.

I know when I eat slow, I eat a lot less and don't feel too full afterwards, whereas the faster you eat, the more you stuff in, and then about half hour later I am almost sick I've eaten too much and feel like my tummy is going to explode. I imagine this is no different for a kid especially considering the size of their stomach. The more you shove in, the more you stretch it out, the more you need to fill it next time.
Taking time and pacing meals is something that kids that age group don't really get. Once they HAVE the experience of a slow steady meal day after day they get it.
nannyde 12:45 PM 03-16-2011
Love it!! For lunch I gave him a big boy sticky bowl with a grip spoon. He doesn't use spoons to often..just his hands to aid him so today he loved having a spoon and it took forever for him to eat but it def. slowed him down and by the time his food was gone he was very clean. Hands were not so messy and face and hair!! I also made sure that he had one food item at a time. He is ashually such a good eater. We are not on the food program but bc my family eats healthy all the kids here do as well. We love those steamers...you know the ones with broccoli and carrots with cheese and pasta? I also get the single servings of corn and veggies they sale at the grocery store. My kids love them...not to mention my family does too. Makes it simple to serve. As far as his sippy...he has the playtex long spouted cups that have 2 little holes at the top. It also has the stoppers inside to slow down drinking but he is still gusseling like he's downing it. Do you think I should take that part off? The kids are good about putting there cups back up on the table after they have finished taking there sips of it?...
Yeah the spoon trick is good too. I have a Bob the Builder thick chunky spoon from when ds was little that works with some of them. Specially if they love Bob.

I've used a dolly once too. I had one little girl that loved this little cloth doll I had and we would let her hold it (clung to it) during her shovel horking phase.

Same principle. You can do mittens or gloves... whatever... just something in/on one hand to redirect the traffic
Christian Mother 12:57 PM 03-16-2011
Yup, solved my problem totally...and you know what...he didn't poop right after eating...I notice that if he over eats he poops right after. Parents think I am nutz but I tell them that I can tell if they over eat...my fault of course bc I gave more then he could eat.
nannyde 01:08 PM 03-16-2011
Yup, solved my problem totally...and you know what...he didn't poop right after eating...I notice that if he over eats he poops right after. Parents think I am nutz but I tell them that I can tell if they over eat...my fault of course bc I gave more then he could eat.
Yes it really helps in that department. If you have a kid this age who is gassy and fussy and miserable after eating DEFINITELY look at the pace and bite size.

When you look at their poopies and see chunky undigested bits then that's another indication that they need to slow down and CHEW their food. Doing a slower intake of food just naturally results in them keeping what's in the mouth in the mouth longer. The longer it's in ... the longer they chew.

It would be like us eating a foot long sub sandwhich in three minutes.

Let's say you had someone feeding you. They give you a bite and then in a split second they present the next bite to your mouth. What would you do? Swallow quickly to take the next bite.

They don't have the ability to know THEY are doing all four jobs... picking... putting in mouth... chewing... then swallowing.

So if you tackle and take over even one part of the process it naturally slows the other three down. It only takes a short time to get them used to just managing one bite at a time at an even pace.
nannyde 01:12 PM 03-16-2011
Another thing that helps is making flat bits. Squishing their bits to be pancake flat slows them down too.
QualiTcare 05:14 AM 03-17-2011

i agree - kids aren't like adults. they eat when they're hungry and stop eating when they're full for the most part. the idea of binding hands or "a hand" makes me nuts. i would HATE that so i wouldn't do it.

anyhow, it could very possibly be that he's only eating at daycare. if he goes home, takes a bath, and then goes to bed without eating (which is possible, especially if you tell mom how much he's eaten at your house) and then comes to daycare without eating breakfast at home first (which is also very common) that's 12 or more hours he would've gone without a meal. i could be wrong, but i don't see a kid so young eating that much without being hungry.
momatheart 05:23 AM 03-17-2011
We do not do seconds they are served what is the amt they should have for their age and I feel this teaches them portion control.

They get morning snack/lunch/pm snack. That is it.
SilverSabre25 05:29 AM 03-17-2011
I never withhold seconds (or thirds, or fourths....) of veggies, so long as I still have some prepared. Fruit I almost never do seconds; main dish/starchy sides depends on how much I have left.

I do have a rule that you have to eat some of everything before you get more of anything...sometimes I'll say yes to seconds IF you take one more bite of usually the main dish. If I didn't have such picky eaters (mine being the main exception, she's the furthest thing from picky) I wouldn't have these rules in place, probably.

I'm in the camp of figuring that if the child is still wanting to eat (within reason!), he is probably still hungry. I might have the kids wait a few minutes between servings, or make sure they're drinking enough water, or something like that.
nannyde 05:39 AM 03-17-2011
I would never bind a childs hands either. Mitten one of them for a short period of time and rotating the sides back and forth is the technique. Saying it is binding them is like saying we bind them when we put mittens on them to play in the snow.

You have managed to take a really simple technique that works really well and doesn't bother the child in any way and turned it into binding and cruelty. Do you think it is cruel to put mittens on a kids hand when they play out in the snow? My kids play out in the snow and have BOTH hands mitted for up to an hour. Is that cruel? Should we just not have them play in snow because it might damage them to have their hands bound with mittens?

Do you think it's cruel to put kids in car seats in five point restraints or strollers with five point restraints? We are... after all.... binding them into the seats?

You suggest just giving him small amounts but that shows you are not getting what she is saying. He will just have a slow down in between what is given to him not bite to bite. It makes the adult be involved in his every bite to bite where my technique allows the adult to do full servings of food at one time.

Would you suggest that children should not be in strollers because they are restrained? Wouldn't it be best for the parent to just HOLD AND CARRY the kid instead of pushing around a restrained kid? That's the same thing you are saying here. It's better for the adult to be involved in every bite to bite instead of having something that does not harm the child in ANY WAY like being strapped into a stroller, high chair, car seat, or having mittens on in the cold.
QualiTcare 05:46 AM 03-17-2011
i don't think comparing carseats or even mittens is the same as a one handed mitted long sleeved shirt which from previous posts i assume you mean a shirt where the bottom of the sleeve is sewn shut? i think that'd be about the same as trying to eat with one hand tied behind your back - very uncomfortable - effective or not.

for the record, i hate mittens. i hated using them even on my own kids when they were newborns to keep them from scratching themselves. they make pretty tiny gloves these days so any child old enough to really play out in the cold and/or snow would be able to wear gloves.

it's just a personal preference and whatever floats your boat.
jen 05:53 AM 03-17-2011
I haven't read all the posts, but I just want to throw something out here for you...

I have a son who is ADHD...he WILL eat until he throws up. I have no idea if it's a part of his personality or if it is related to his ADHD, which seems entirely plausible, but some don't seem to recognize when they are full.
nannyde 06:27 AM 03-17-2011
Originally Posted by jen:
I haven't read all the posts, but I just want to throw something out here for you...

I have a son who is ADHD...he WILL eat until he throws up. I have no idea if it's a part of his personality or if it is related to his ADHD, which seems entirely plausible, but some don't seem to recognize when they are full.
Of course there are many situations where children will overeat and it is harmful to them to eat at a fast pace or eat more quantity then they would if they were given the tools to slow down.
nannyde 06:36 AM 03-17-2011
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
i don't think comparing carseats or even mittens is the same as a one handed mitted long sleeved shirt which from previous posts i assume you mean a shirt where the bottom of the sleeve is sewn shut? i think that'd be about the same as trying to eat with one hand tied behind your back - very uncomfortable - effective or not.

for the record, i hate mittens. i hated using them even on my own kids when they were newborns to keep them from scratching themselves. they make pretty tiny gloves these days so any child old enough to really play out in the cold and/or snow would be able to wear gloves.

it's just a personal preference and whatever floats your boat.
Nah...

They are super comfortable and have no ill effects whatsoever. It's just loose thin cloth over their fingers for a short amount of time. They are way more comfortable than mittens.

It is the same principle as putting them on newborns to prevent scratching. Perfect example. It's a cloth block for a short amount of time... minutes in this case... that can be switched easily from side to side (even during the meal by switching back to front TO front to back).

It's a DIFFERENT method than is currently done but it has ZERO affect on the child other than it helps reroute the food traffic, decreases the amount of food taken in at one time, increases the liklihood of longer chewing periods, and gives their own body a chance to recognize when they have had enough. Win win... no negative whatsoever.

Once they establish a slower pattern of eating and a longer pattern of chewing then it isn't needed. Just a transitional tool for that few weeks of double fisted horking the food down phase.
dEHmom 06:45 AM 03-17-2011
I'm not discarding what Nan has suggested, I personally haven't done it, probably will not, but that's my choice.

I use the highchair when I am doing dishes, to keep baby where I can see him, safe and content with a toy, or a snack (depending on what time it is).

I always get the chunky babies, who shovel food in their face and 90% of it ends up in their lap or on the floor because they shovel it so fast, and their hands are so chubbed that they cannot pinch the food.

By slowing them down, with whatever method you use, whether it be mitted, small portions and making them wait in between, or any other method, they begin to enjoy the food a lot more, slow down on their own, and slowly they lose some of that chub, and become alot more active.

I find the chubs prefer to sit in one spot for the majority of the time they "play" but the less they eat the more active they become. And the less chubby they become too.

I'm not in the weight loss program here, but I keep the kids active, and many babies when first starting (yes I totally understand developmental stages ie crawling, walking, running etc) are mainly a bump on the floor. Then they quickly, very very quickly begin crawling, walking, and then running , usually within a 1-2 month period. And it does not matter if I've received them at 7 months or 1 yr.

Edit: by Chub I am not refer to little chubby babies, I am referring to BIG chubby babies. They are adorable rolly pollies, but they often cannot do for themselves what they should be doing. And I don't have any proof or not, because we will probably never know, but I have a feeling these kids, if they don't lose that "chub" by at least 1 1/2 yrs, are in for a very hard life.
Meat on the bones is great, but if it's hanging over their belt, or they have muffin tops, it's a little too much, IMO
jen 06:53 AM 03-17-2011
Originally Posted by dehmom:
edit: By chub i am not refer to little chubby babies, i am referring to big chubby babies. They are adorable rolly pollies, but they often cannot do for themselves what they should be doing. And i don't have any proof or not, because we will probably never know, but i have a feeling these kids, if they don't lose that "chub" by at least 1 1/2 yrs, are in for a very hard life.
Meat on the bones is great, but if it's hanging over their belt, or they have muffin tops, it's a little too much, imo
yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
nannyde 07:05 AM 03-17-2011
I'm not discarding what Nan has suggested, I personally haven't done it, probably will not, but that's my choice.

I use the highchair when I am doing dishes, to keep baby where I can see him, safe and content with a toy, or a snack (depending on what time it is).

I always get the chunky babies, who shovel food in their face and 90% of it ends up in their lap or on the floor because they shovel it so fast, and their hands are so chubbed that they cannot pinch the food.

By slowing them down, with whatever method you use, whether it be mitted, small portions and making them wait in between, or any other method, they begin to enjoy the food a lot more, slow down on their own, and slowly they lose some of that chub, and become alot more active.

I find the chubs prefer to sit in one spot for the majority of the time they "play" but the less they eat the more active they become. And the less chubby they become too.

I'm not in the weight loss program here, but I keep the kids active, and many babies when first starting (yes I totally understand developmental stages ie crawling, walking, running etc) are mainly a bump on the floor. Then they quickly, very very quickly begin crawling, walking, and then running , usually within a 1-2 month period. And it does not matter if I've received them at 7 months or 1 yr.

Edit: by Chub I am not refer to little chubby babies, I am referring to BIG chubby babies. They are adorable rolly pollies, but they often cannot do for themselves what they should be doing. And I don't have any proof or not, because we will probably never know, but I have a feeling these kids, if they don't lose that "chub" by at least 1 1/2 yrs, are in for a very hard life.
Meat on the bones is great, but if it's hanging over their belt, or they have muffin tops, it's a little too much, IMO
I've had those chunkmeisters too.

I wouldn't do anything with kids that just drop food. That's not a problem. I'm only talking about double fisted eaters who stuff their mouth with both hands and swallow food whole at a fast rate.

I was just addressing this part of the OP's post: He inhales his food and is done a full plate usually within 5 mins of sitting down.

When they inhale the food it's good to put in some measures to slow them down. Five minutes for a full plate of food is SUPER fast. They can choke... they can swallow food whole... they can have pain right after they eat... they can have loose stools and it stimulates peristalsis if they overdo it too fast so they can "dump" food before it has finished the digestive process.

Not saying the OP's kid had any of these possible negative outcomes but I have seen that before in my three decades of caring for kids.
dEHmom 07:14 AM 03-17-2011
hahahahaha.....

LO I have today, had poo up his back this morning. I discovered it following the trail of green things on my floor which upon examination I figured were chunks of pickles or something. Not even completely sure. I couldn't figure out where it came from (nobody had pickles here)

Seemed like a perfect example of the pp's passing chunks of food comment.

nannyde 07:48 AM 03-17-2011
hahahahaha.....

LO I have today, had poo up his back this morning. I discovered it following the trail of green things on my floor which upon examination I figured were chunks of pickles or something. Not even completely sure. I couldn't figure out where it came from (nobody had pickles here)

Seemed like a perfect example of the pp's passing chunks of food comment.

Yes if you are having blow outs you might want to take a look at exactly how they are managing food.

If I have a kid that has blow outs I always talk to the parents about the whole feeding cycle so we can get to what is causing it. Sometimes it's just the food or illness but often the solution is within the eating process.
dEHmom 08:18 AM 03-17-2011
he did this probably within 10 minutes of getting here, yet he hadn't eaten yet this morning, so it was last nights supper. Usually I see last nights supper in the morning when I get him.

But he is a shoveler that's for sure.
Lucy 01:02 PM 03-17-2011
I would never bind a childs hands either. Mitten one of them for a short period of time and rotating the sides back and forth is the technique. Saying it is binding them is like saying we bind them when we put mittens on them to play in the snow.

You have managed to take a really simple technique that works really well and doesn't bother the child in any way and turned it into binding and cruelty. Do you think it is cruel to put mittens on a kids hand when they play out in the snow? My kids play out in the snow and have BOTH hands mitted for up to an hour. Is that cruel? Should we just not have them play in snow because it might damage them to have their hands bound with mittens?

Do you think it's cruel to put kids in car seats in five point restraints or strollers with five point restraints? We are... after all.... binding them into the seats?

You suggest just giving him small amounts but that shows you are not getting what she is saying. He will just have a slow down in between what is given to him not bite to bite. It makes the adult be involved in his every bite to bite where my technique allows the adult to do full servings of food at one time.

Would you suggest that children should not be in strollers because they are restrained? Wouldn't it be best for the parent to just HOLD AND CARRY the kid instead of pushing around a restrained kid? That's the same thing you are saying here. It's better for the adult to be involved in every bite to bite instead of having something that does not harm the child in ANY WAY like being strapped into a stroller, high chair, car seat, or having mittens on in the cold.
Well, the comparison is laughable, so I won't go there. This is my OPINION, and I'm really not interested in a back-and-forth. I see the blocking off of one's hand during a meal - one who is of the age to USE both hands for the purposes of getting food to mouth - similar in irritance to putting scotch tape on a cat's paws. Seems to me the child would get very annoyed by it. I just see it as mean. I'm glad it works for you, but I could no more do that than I could put a dunce cap on a child. Sorry.
nannyde 01:14 PM 03-17-2011
Well, the comparison is laughable, so I won't go there. This is my OPINION, and I'm really not interested in a back-and-forth. I see the blocking off of one's hand during a meal - one who is of the age to USE both hands for the purposes of getting food to mouth - similar in irritance to putting scotch tape on a cat's paws. Seems to me the child would get very annoyed by it. I just see it as mean. I'm glad it works for you, but I could no more do that than I could put a dunce cap on a child. Sorry.
Nope no anoyance. You can imagine it but it's not real.

Children naturally want to play around in a car. Doesn't meant we let them do it.
They want to crawl out of a stroller. Doesn't mean we let them do it.
They want to jump out of the grocery cart. Doesn't mean we let them do it.
They want to play in the snow without mittens. Doesn't mean we let them do it.

Just because the child CAN do something doesn't mean it's in their best interest. Safety first.
jen 04:17 PM 03-17-2011
Nope no anoyance. You can imagine it but it's not real.

Children naturally want to play around in a car. Doesn't meant we let them do it.
They want to crawl out of a stroller. Doesn't mean we let them do it.
They want to jump out of the grocery cart. Doesn't mean we let them do it.
They want to play in the snow without mittens. Doesn't mean we let them do it.

Just because the child CAN do something doesn't mean it's in their best interest. Safety first.
Just a comment, but true none-the-less...It's wrong to say "doesn't mean we let them do it" because, sadly, LOTS of people do it every day...
Lucy 06:58 PM 03-17-2011
Not sure where the segue to "letting them do it" came from. I'm not addressing all those other activities. And I would not let a child eat so fast that they stand a chance of choking. I would either, A) give them smaller bits at a time, or B) help feed them myself. I'm all about safety too. I'd just prefer not to incapacitate the tool that is their hand.

Also, I'd rather not have other talking points thrown in when I'm quoted. I didn't bring up playing in snow, or sitting in carseats, strollers, and high chairs. And my adjective was "harsh", not "cruel". It just feels like it puts words in my mouth to take my short, to-the-point statement of:

And turn it into (paraphrasing)

I neither said, nor suggested, ANY of that.

Thanks for your input.
youretooloud 07:24 PM 03-17-2011
Not sure where the segue to "letting them do it" came from. I'm not addressing all those other activities.
I have to agree with this.

Eating a meal with one hand in a sew up t-shirt has nothing to do with sitting in a car seat.

My own husband eats too fast. He's even choked a few times, I would never suggest he eat with only one hand in order to slow down. I would never ask him to "Put on this shirt with one sleeve sewn closed... tomorrow you can wear it backwards" Because it's disrespectful to him. (he wouldn't do it anyway)

I don't even put a bib on the two year olds because they feel like they are too old for it. I'll take their shirt off if we are having red sauce, or something messy, but I don't ask them to wear bibs. I like that they feel like they are in control. I like to give them dignity and respect.

I also don't have time to make tiny little bits of food, and honestly, I think I'd run out of patience for that before the child got full, so he'd feel hungry the rest of the day. I never want a child to feel like hungry here.

One time, I asked on Mothering.com about their experience at daycare. (adults remembering their childhood) Almost all of them said "I was always hungry, she never let us eat enough to eat" So, I've never forgotten that, and I make sure they eat what they want. Until it's gone. If the food is gone, I say "All gone". I wouldn't make more food.. but, if I have it, they can eat it.
Tags:food, food - limit
Reply Up